Head Lamp for Christmas

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a nebo this fall. Rechargeable and has red,green and three differant light settings. So far so good

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread! Also use a Nebo. Getting our 7 grand-kids head-lamps for Christmas stocking stuffers as all enjoy our great outdoors. The Energizer headlamp that goes for about $10 is the one I am looking at unless there are better options for $20 or less.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd just be satisfied with head (and a good meal).

- - - Updated - - -

I wish everyone success concerning illumination.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think I have 4 headlamps, not counting the built into the toque version... and i could begin to tell you the name of any one of them... my gear game is piss poor.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rechargeable and lasts a long time. You won't be sorry.
Won't post proper one, will try again. Nu 32
https://www.nitecorestore.com

Last edited:

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Fenix. It’s brighter than car headlights if u want it to be.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. I've had a pile of headlights over the years, from cheapies to north of $100.

Thought I had the world by the tail, with my Black Diamond Storm that I got a couple years back. I think it was maybe $60 or so.

Fenix, from Scheels in Bismarck (also online of course) is my new favorite. It's $100, but recently has been both 20% and 25% off. Runs on an ass-kicking lithium battery (included) or two CR123 batteries, which are supposed to work better in the cold.

The lamp is rechargeable, and comes with a short USB-C cord which works in the truck, any phone cube, or any gas-station cigarette style plug in charger.

The light has a nice grippy gel-like headband, which doesn't have to be tight to stay in place. The top head-band part is removable, and unless you're jogging, you don't need it.

Has a spot light which has four settings (low, med, hi, super-duper) and a wide angle light with three settings. Turn them both on if you want to kill a bear. Otherwise, in dark conditions, the lowest levels are sufficient.

Honestly, on the highest settings, do not turn it on another fisherman. You will piss him off.

The whole thing tilts too, so you won't blind someone if you're careful. It only takes looking into this light once. You won't do it twice. I also ordered the little cordura case, for like $10. Nice to have to keep it from getting beat up, and fits perfectly in a cup-holder.

Fenix_Hm65R_Headlamp___54644.1560951630.jpg

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought a Petzl Swift RL Headlamp. Really like it. Got it on sale at REI

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got the Fenix HL60R and have only played around with it in the house. Biggest selling point for me is the battery set up and the lumen output. The usb rechargeable 18650 battery is perfect for the more day to day short uses and the option to use two CR123 batteries meets my preferred battery for backpack use.

I cant compare it directly to the Fenix HM65R mentioned a few other times in this thread. But on paper it met my needs more with the single light, even flood beam (vs the spot and flood of the HM65R). In 90% of my main uses, I prefer my headlamp to have a flood type beam and then carry a flashlight for the longer throw spot.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got the Fenix HL60R and have only played around with it in the house. Biggest selling point for me is the battery set up and the lumen output. The usb rechargeable 18650 battery is perfect for the more day to day short uses and the option to use two CR123 batteries meets my preferred battery for backpack use.

I cant compare it directly to the Fenix HM65R mentioned a few other times in this thread. But on paper it met my needs more with the single light, even flood beam (vs the spot and flood of the HM65R). In 90% of my main uses, I prefer my headlamp to have a flood type beam and then carry a flashlight for the longer throw spot.

I'm sure it's a great light too. I use mine primarily wader-fishing at night, so when I need a light, it has to be hand-free. A flashlight doesn't work.

So far, I'm delighted with mine. The included battery is an expensive one to replace. I haven't found the exact battery for less than $25, so I won't be buying a spare. A couple of CR123 batteries in my pack will do the trick. I stopped at Interstate Batteries to see if I could get a lithium replacement battery there, and the guy said they have the right size, but nowhere NEAR the correct mAh rating.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://sniperhoglights.com/40kap-headlamp/

I have one of these for night hunting yotes. A simple twist of the housing turns from flood to spot, it also has adjustable output and you can recharge the batteries by simply plugging it in, or you can easily swap the batteres out for charged ones and charge when you get home.

This light has a damned good range as well. With the red emitter it's good for 450+ yards when set to spot and cranked up. If you choose the green emitter, it's good for 800+yards.

Its a pretty badass light for only 100.

I also have their 66lrx and their coyote cannon. We won't talk about those here though as they are not headlamps :)

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kid bought a Nebo Transcend for $30. Its as bright as my railgear lamp and rechargeable. Im impressed for the pricepoint to say the least.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure it's a great light too. I use mine primarily wader-fishing at night, so when I need a light, it has to be hand-free. A flashlight doesn't work.

So far, I'm delighted with mine. The included battery is an expensive one to replace. I haven't found the exact battery for less than $25, so I won't be buying a spare. A couple of CR123 batteries in my pack will do the trick. I stopped at Interstate Batteries to see if I could get a lithium replacement battery there, and the guy said they have the right size, but nowhere NEAR the correct mAh rating.

Yeah, a guy has to really think about the main uses of the light. If I was back doing a lot of waterfowl decoy set up the combo spot and flood would be really beneficial.

The supplied 18650 battery is pretty impressive at 5000 mah. Two CR123's end up somewhere around 2500-3000 mah. So a set up with 2 of the rechargeable 18650's would be equivalent to 6-8 CR123's. Could be a quick payback if the light sees a lot of use.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, a guy has to really think about the main uses of the light. If I was back doing a lot of waterfowl decoy set up the combo spot and flood would be really beneficial.

The supplied 18650 battery is pretty impressive at 5000 mah. Two CR123's end up somewhere around 2500-3000 mah. So a set up with 2 of the rechargeable 18650's would be equivalent to 6-8 CR123's. Could be a quick payback if the light sees a lot of use.

Annnnd, just because, I just bought a Fenix everyday carry flashlight. Still at 20% off, at scheels. runs on a 18650 lithium battery, or two CR123 (supplied). Dang, these lights are insanely bright. Brighter than a large hand-held spotlight, like you'd use in a boat at night.

Anyhow, went on Fenix's site, and ordered a 18650 3500 mAH battery and charger, for $35. Now between the flashlight and the headlight, plenty of light forever. (or at least until I misplace them, or drop them in 5 ft of water. That'll be a bummer, sitting there looking at it in 5 ft of water, bright as all get-out, and just out of reach unless I want to go swimming in 30 degree water. Yikes.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.nitecorestore.com/Produ...AYIQ3srRUa2z6LwY0ZnnbmtDUN6El63waAjCLEALw_wcB

I have one of these and it’s amazing. Has a rechargeable battery so you just plug it in when it’s dead. Has 4-5 different brightness levels depending on what you need at the time.

My job supplies us with the 3 AA Streamlight headlamps to mount on our hardhats. They do the job, but they are heavy and eat batteries. In a work setting, neither is a big deal.

A few of the guys have bought the Nitecore headlamps for themselves. They use the 18650 cell and are rechargeable by USB. Incredibly light weight and on the brightest setting, I wouldn't be surprised if those things could start a fire if the beam was focused on some kindling. Very impressive little headlamps.

Also, 18650 lithium cells are what make up power tool batteries. They just have multiple cells wired in series inside the case. With how many of those are used/sold every year, I would imagine in time the price of 18650 cells is just going to continue to come down. Replacements should also be available forever basically.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great thread! Also use a Nebo. Getting our 7 grand-kids head-lamps for Christmas stocking stuffers as all enjoy our great outdoors. The Energizer headlamp that goes for about $10 is the one I am looking at unless there are better options for $20 or less.

those work fine. My kids use them and I keep one in my pack while hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

8567D268-7EB1-4B83-AD68-D131DAC034A0.jpg
boys with the fenix 65
6787F5DB-CBC6-472C-A173-E70ED175AD6F.jpeg
daughter with one of the energizer headlamps u talked about

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good thread. I have been struggling with these little el cheepo headlamps and have been thinking I should get something better. After reading these posts and doing some digging, I decided to buy myself a x-mas present. Ordered the Fenix 65. Hope it works great and doesn't burn the batteries down fast. Thanks Again Guys!
Fish On!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 41
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14