Heated Socks

Mizzou21

Sorry guys if this is a repeat thread, but hoping some of you guys will have some experience with heated socks. I must be losing circulation in my old age, because I can never seem to keep my feet as warm as I would like. I have gone through 2 pairs of the thermacell heated insoles, 1st and 2nd gen, and was not very impressed with them. When they worked, they seemed to take the edge off, problem was, remote didn't communicate very well and the batteries seemed to keep falling/pulling apart when you would remove to charge. So I decided to try the heated sock route. Any of you guys find a good pair that is not to bulky with the battery pack and seem to keep your toes nice and warm? I have been searching the web and find them anywhere from $15-279. Crazy range, and don't want to pull the trigger on an expensive pair if they don't work well. Thanks for the feedback!

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the same issues with the Thermacell insoles, went through two sets and both where junk. Buddy told me to try Flambeau's heated socks, so I bought a pair through Amazon for around $100. The batteries are a little large, but they rest on the top of your boot so you don't really notice them, but they DO work. You also will notice the wires under your toes, but it's not too bad. I went pheasant hunting the last weekend of the season when it was really cold and walked a few miles and the wires didn't bother me and my feet stayed warm. Have only used the low setting so far.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heat Holders socks and and a pair of Baffin Boots a size bigger than you normally wear might do it without having to worry about electricity.

Mizzou21

Thanks for the feedback fellas! Ahab, we are on the same page so far. I have a pair of Baffins in one extra size and just ordered 2 pair of the heat holders socks this morning!! I will give that a shot, and the Next step Flambeau's heated socks.......

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a pair of Baffin boots how can your feet get cold? Are not they good to like -140 degrees or something?

Mizzou21

It sucks to get old lunker! LOL. I am wondering the same thing, but in baffins defense when you sit or stand on the ice for hours at a time or sit in a treestand motionless for a few hours, probably bound to get somewhat cold. I am just at the point where I am willing to try something different to see if I can make it a bit more comfortable for myself. I have the same problem with the Lacrosse boots I use bow hunting the majority of the time. Sometimes I feel like its the rubber uppers of these boots that get cold, and then it somehow transfers into my toes!! Hoping it is easier to invest in some socks that will work vs searching for another pair of boots to try.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a problem with feet that sweat so I carry a extra pair of socks, only wear boots on the ice. If my feet sweat and get cold I am done

Sim

I have heard good things about the gerbing socks, but havent talked myself into them yet.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried some cheapys and really didnt get much out of them. They heat up but if u sweat in em they get cold I just go with sock liners good socks and a good Sorel that has two sole liners. Never really get cold and I have a sitting bps around 50 55. If I get cold in go ck my tip ups.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a problem with feet that sweat so I carry a extra pair of socks, only wear boots on the ice. If my feet sweat and get cold I am done

I was just reading up on ways to stay warm in extreme cold. My feet don't sweat but I have a good friend whose feet do and its a killer for him. Anyway this thing I was reading said to put deodorant on your feet the night prior to going out. I guess it takes 6 plus hours for your feet to adsorb it and for it to work, but it is supposed to stop them from sweating so bad. Worth a shot I guess if that is a big issue for you

rksolid

I purchase some socks that use 9 volt batteries worked for a sort time before batteries died. Purchased a pair or Korkers rated for -60 and ordered Alpaca socks. Read on some other site alpaca is the warmest sock. I'll try the boots this week and the socks when the arrive. Cold feet have always been a problem.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Thermacell insoles and I too, am not terribly impressed.

Polypro liners with wool over-socks, work well in my waders. Gotta have boots big enough to keep from being tight though.

It's standing still in cold water. It's about the only thing that makes me quit in the fall.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr is a cold footed vixen, and to get her onto the ice this season again I have decided heated socks are a must. Any new and improved items you guys have come across?

She has cold feet in the summer, so heat and longevity(long lasting for a full day on the ice) is what I am in need of, good socks are not going to cut it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cold feet have always been my death. This is not foolproof: Slather the feet in underarm antiperspirant, next layer is a polyester dress sock, next layer is whatever winter sock. Get to the stand, and immediately take off your boots. Stick feet in fancy camo booties or wrap in a blanket. IME if this isn't feasible; don't sit--keep moving until just before "lukewarm". Like a resting steak you'll get warmer. Don't forget to vent. Moisture is the enemy. Wool is still probably your best friend.

Here is a poser which caused many an argument when I worked in the oilpatch: What fucking sense is present to be active in -20 and get in the cab of a truck with the fucking heater set at 75+?!! In both my jobs I was able to shift the paradigm with scant math skill. Holy shit you could run the gd AC (and accidently did with zero effect to the vehicle). Sorry: What is the differential between -20 and 58 degrees?...How would that feel?!!

Another tangent: I'm still having a hell of a time convincing folks back in the Hills of the potential detriment of constant defrost and benefit of shifting to neutral before slick intersections and going down hill. They all still believe low 1 is the way to go in the above situations. There is no more Granny Gear. Even if there were; without deliberation required to initiate the proper RPM; the drivetrain locks. Wheeeee

I'm sorry I didn't exactly specify "modern" and "common" automatic transmissions. I further surmise the "pause" between gears in a manual trans is the source of my argument. Lots of wood/coal/gravel/etc is transported at extreme angles Back In The Hills...with diesel fuel.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry. Forgot this: If you're worried about scent during gun season:

1667969096901.png

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
PA is a cesspool of retards.
Completely agree.

I told my not so funny retard joke a few months ago, careful, that kind of language is not PC anymore, and had one member extremely PO'd at me.

Doesn't change your statement any, just use mentally challenged, or something of the such, or say and do whatever you want like it should be.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hot Hands Toe/Hand Warmers. Put in boots/ and or mittens when the need arises. Easy Peasy. You are welcome. Spendy at C stores during fall/winter. Bulk buy b4 hand. Save yourself some money

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19