Hidden Rough Fish Delicacies

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago at a fancy St. Paul restaurant I had sturgeon poached in duck fat that was really good.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been told Drum are a delicious fish, but I have never had them. I usually just cut their heads open and show the kids the stones in thier heads that have JC on them.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
We used to bread and fry up the egg sacs that held together on walleyes and sauger and it's not too bad. If textures bother you then stay away. Also if the sacs have a cut in them and the eggs find the oil look out, they become live ammo. Just that part by itself can be enough to give it a try because it's hilarious. In my opinion its not good enough to make a habit of keeping them.

Had sturgeon when I was in Washington from the Columbia, just battered and fried up and it was excellent. One of these days I'm going to try and clean a shovelnose from over here just haven't had the ambition to learn how to do it correctly.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would strongly dissagree with anyone who says paddlefish is poor mans lobster! NEVER AGAIN!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would strongly dissagree with anyone who says paddlefish is poor mans lobster! NEVER AGAIN!

Ling is king when it comes to poor mans lobster. Someone mixed up their fish. I haven't eaten paddlefish in many years and I really can't remember anything good about it. I could swear someone told us it was good shake-n-baked so that's what we did.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We kept and ate a couple cat fish out of McKenzie last weekend, it was really good. I have tried eel pout, cat, and gold eye once.

I guess I just prefer to catch, clean, and eat walleye, and almost always toss the rest back into the lake.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to have a neighbor whose wife was into gourmet cooking. He caught a drum and she prepared it like redfish are fried around the Gulf Coast. They claimed freshwater drum was better than the saltwater variety. He had orders from home to keep any drum he caught.
Just search for a blackened redfish recipe.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm originally from MN and use to love smoked tullibee. Moved to ND and last year smoked my first white bass from DL and I don't miss tullibee anymore.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm originally from MN and use to love smoked tullibee. Moved to ND and last year smoked my first white bass from DL and I don't miss tullibee anymore.

Cut the little bloodline out on the back of the fillet and cook it like any other fish. It is great tasting fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88