Highway 23 n 83

IFishND

What's the body count at that intersection up to now? Killed another person down there today. Something needs done but what.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless fog or crazy conditions there is plenty line of sight there. So guessing a huge % is just simple mistakes by drivers trying to beat someone across.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sight distance is too ample. Should increase the speed limit to 95 through there so people will pay better attention.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Much like the intersection of 23 and 8 (north of Van Hook), I think there will be a roundabout there in the future. Not that it's inherently a shitty intersection, it's just that our current drivers suck at navigating it for whatever reason(s).

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've driven highway 83 nearly every day for 20-years and spent 6 years going by that specific intersection daily, and typically go through it several times per week now. I don't see it being turned into a round about at all, that doesn't work on one of the few ND few 4 lane highways and in a 70mph zone. They have tried every safety measure with the current intersection layout short of signalizing it and the problem continues.

The First thing that needs to happen is the north and south bound lanes on the highway need to be brought together so they aren't separated by an 1/8th of a mile median. This causes people to turn off of 23 and head north or south into on-coming traffic. I have witnessed this several times. I am actually surprised there hasn't been more head-on collisions for the number of times I've seen this happen and the hills in that area.

The ultimate fix is an overpass with on/off ramps. Of course, the north and south bound lanes need to be brought together to do this. There is water / wetlands in dam near every corner of the intersection and a cemetery between north and south bound lanes which will make the environmental and cultural permitting more difficult however something needs to be done. I believe this will make 3 deaths at that intersection this summer. I came across the scene of 2 of those accidents with causalities earlier this year. And to think, we hear about only the accidents with causalities but how many close calls happen there? I would bet the NDDOT is working on a solution, the biggest problem is it will take years before it's permitted and constructed.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eventually all state highways in north dakota will become split the nddot also has issues with highway 52 between minot and Velva with traffic accidents.

Coldfront

Established Member
Sight distance is too ample. Should increase the speed limit to 95 through there so people will pay better attention.
There are rumble strips, there are oversized stop signs and they are flashing. Signs that flash on the north and south bound lanes when a vehicle enters the intersection from the east or west. People disregard laws. Yesterday I went to van hook to go fishing, it was misting good on cty rd 14 and 2 oil field vehicles past me going up a hill with double yellow lines. Then as I was headed west of Makoti at the east bound passing lanes another vehicle passed me on double yellow lines, I was doing 67 so there was no reason to pass and besides that the west bound passing lanes was just a mile down the road. In 60 seconds we would have been there to pass. So in the meantime do more patrolling. Put Amidons police car at the intersection!!

dschaible

Established Member
break into the psycology of why people slow down and stop at an intersection. They did a study of what kind of contraptions you can put on high line wires to prevent birds from killing themselves on the lines they can do the same at that intersection.

Install cameras today if they havnt already and review how many people blow through that intersection and from what direction.

Here are a couple ideas that get people to slow down that are cheap, quick and probably effective/worth trying.

create a fake "construction zone" for 1 mile, people slow down for those, lots of signs, cones, speed zones.

Park a fake highway protrol car or multiple cars/firetruck x yards/miles from the intersection with their lights flashing.

They are making assumptions that a sqare flashing light and rumble strips is somthing people from another state understands as danger.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the problem is stupid drivers not the construction of the highway. My pet peeve is the removal of the yield signs on the I 94 on ramp. Every idiot thinks they have the right of way. An 18 wheeler on your left an an idiot barreling into you from the right.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
boy... i can't imagine that intersection being such a problem w/ the exception of what SLE just explained.... folks not realizing its a divided highway and turning into traffic. but, even then, how hell do you not actually see said traffic that you are turning into.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've driven highway 83 nearly every day for 20-years and spent 6 years going by that specific intersection daily, and typically go through it several times per week now. I don't see it being turned into a round about at all, that doesn't work on one of the few ND few 4 lane highways and in a 70mph zone. They have tried every safety measure with the current intersection layout short of signalizing it and the problem continues.

The First thing that needs to happen is the north and south bound lanes on the highway need to be brought together so they aren't separated by an 1/8th of a mile median. This causes people to turn off of 23 and head north or south into on-coming traffic. I have witnessed this several times. I am actually surprised there hasn't been more head-on collisions for the number of times I've seen this happen and the hills in that area.

The ultimate fix is an overpass with on/off ramps. Of course, the north and south bound lanes need to be brought together to do this. There is water / wetlands in dam near every corner of the intersection and a cemetery between north and south bound lanes which will make the environmental and cultural permitting more difficult however something needs to be done. I believe this will make 3 deaths at that intersection this summer. I came across the scene of 2 of those accidents with causalities earlier this year. And to think, we hear about only the accidents with causalities but how many close calls happen there? I would bet the NDDOT is working on a solution, the biggest problem is it will take years before it's permitted and constructed.
If it was the red river valley overpass and ramps would have but there twenty years ago

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put 23 on an over pass, less work, and would not need to bring the 83 lanes together.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that will work just like the argument that taking away all guns will stop people from getting killed. 🙄 same exact analogy let's just get rid of everything dangerous because people just suck at life.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 64
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 22