Highway 23 n 83

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know if we need govt intervention about cell phones, but I will say it is down right scary how many people you notice texting or scolling through their phones while driving. Especially freaky when you meet someone going the opposite direction on a two lane and their messing on their phone and not watching the road.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cellphones are for sure a distraction.

Probably the worst thing I've ever seen though was about 20 years ago on Highway 2 out by Larimore who was reading a damn book placed on her steering wheel. She wasn't even driving the speed limit and was weaving all over the road to the point where I had to get a head of steam before I dared to pass her. If I had a phone back then I would have reported a drunk driver before I passed her. I about died when I saw she was reading a book.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had to google teardrop roundabout, the ones I found were either an overpass or underpass design so it makes sense now.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
so, you've done away with any need to stop on 23? i still don't see this as a solution to a problem of problem drivers. in theory, it should slow down folks on 83 i guess. the merging & cross traffic still look messy to me though. gonna give this some more thought...

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like according to the dot video, the engineers want to keep all new construction within the existing row, this will dramatically reduce the efficiency of another state highway that will cost thousands more to keep these areas clear of ice. Especially those coming from the north on 83 that's a steady decline in elevation.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They had to fix the intersections by Tioga because people are not smart enough to merge into highway traffic, it's like people are getting dumber 🙄

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is PROPOSED, and not a done deal. They had a meeting in Max to discuss other ways. Hopefully they listen to the public who was very against any roundabout. You can't fix stupid ass drivers, no matter what you do. Public was wanting to slow down traffic from the west and on 83 in a determined zone. Hopefully they try this first before they do the roundabout.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a cluster fuck. Put in two overpasses with on and off ramps and be done with it people aren't used to roundabouts.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1bigfokker, you got the best answer to this mess

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is PROPOSED, and not a done deal......

Sadly they already have certain parts of this project out for RFP which means they are moving forward. Unless they get major major backlash, we'll have a round about on highway 83.........I hope people are paying attention. It's ridiculous they held the meeting in Max to start with. There was no doubt that was done purposeful to detour attendance. It should've been in Minot, and frankly they should have another in Bismarck.

Also, every public input meeting I've ever been part of provides options or alternatives. There were not any other options or alternatives presented. The meeting in Max was more of a public information meeting, not a public input meeting.

I personally think it's an absolute abomination, knee jerk reaction by the NDDOT, and a terrible idea. I'd rather see them force traffic into right hand movements only with J turns a mile down the road before this ridiculousness and I don't think that's a good idea either. Slowing speed down works in towns when you have structures and other things close to the road. it becomes a natural comfort level barrier. When you don't, traffic will move at whatever speed they are comfortable driving. It's called the rule of 85.

You can set any damn arbitrary speed limit you want, but if it is or isn't comfortable to drive that speed, traffic will not drive at that posted speed. For instance, you could set the speed limit at 75 down Broadway in Minot, 85% of the traffic will drive with 10 mph of what a comfortable speed is, traffic congestion dependent which is probably between 30-40 mph. this is based on reaction times, sight distances, roadway design and a number of other factors. you could set highway 83 at 25 mph from minot to bismarck, without continual enforcement, no one would follow it.

Bottom line, they are making a big part of this design decision based on cost while the State has full coffers. On top of that, with this being a saftey improvemnt, I believe the state will get federal funding of up to 90%. This intersection was #1 on the states saftey improvement list and this is what they came up with, pretty unbelievable. The only reason an overpass isn't being looked at is cost, everyone recognizes that's the proper and most effective solution. of course the cost is high becuase there are a number of diffuculties that would need to be handled to construct an overpass. most of it being redtape.......................

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What a cluster fuck. Put in two overpasses with on and off ramps and be done with it people aren't used to roundabouts.

If you going to fix this issue, then fix it. Bring the highway 83 together and put in a single overpass and be done. Lets at least try and limit some expense and future maintenance and replacement costs............

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put as single overpass with 23 going over top and on and off ramps. Couldn’t be much more expensive than this conglomeration. Every intersection on interstate is like that

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, every public input meeting I've ever been part of provides options or alternatives. There were not any other options or alternatives presented. The meeting in Max was more of a public information meeting, not a public input meeting.

Did you attend the meeting?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put as single overpass with 23 going over top and on and off ramps. Couldn’t be much more expensive than this conglomeration. Every intersection on interstate is like that
estimated 16 million for the roundabout and between 50 and 60 million for overpass

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 19