hog hunting

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffen you get one, take a picture of the belly as you are butchering. I'm curious if they are fat enough to make bacon.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffen you get one, take a picture of the belly as you are butchering. I'm curious if they are fat enough to make bacon.

Pretty lean. IMG00645-20120415-0823.jpg

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a great angle but yah I'm not seeing much to work with there. Could still smoke pork shoulder though.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
No on the "boar taint". Also, you should google taint.

Won't be going trophy hunting, it would be a freezer filling thing. So if I can find a half dozen that are still nursing, that's just perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

If you read that wikiedia article in the right mind set, it is hilarious.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
imagine bacon made from the leg glands of a rutty buck - that's boar taint - is unbelievably nasty

I've had two packs of bacon with it in my life and I'll never forget them - throw it all away and open the windows for two days

- - - Updated - - -

also - I don't need to Google taint

RM-Plains

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best thing ive found with eating Hogs is shooting a small one in the morning and smoking it whole really slow over mesquite coals for several hours while your out shooting more during the day.. Rio Grande Special . Laredo great place to spend new years Eve holiday hog and deer hunting.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to assume that some of these people that say they shoot the shit out of them off their porch are stretching the truth. Kind of like the rancher from ND that shoots ten coyotes off a dead cow every winter. Sure it is true but if u took 3 days and went hunting on his place or even sat near the dead cow you may or may not shoot a coyote.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this is out of the question but if you are willing to drive to Oklahoma, I know of some public land that's just full of feral pigs. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, there is not bag limit on them either.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure this is out of the question but if you are willing to drive to Oklahoma, I know of some public land that's just full of feral pigs. Unless something has changed in the last couple of years, there is not bag limit on them either.
I'm listening.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm listening.

Check this link out: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/wmastate.htm

It's a map of all of the public land in Oklahoma. Be warned that while public land in that state doesn't get hit too hard from hunters outside of deer and spring turkey season, nearly all of the public lands are stupid thick with tons of up and down steep hills. It's unlike anything I've experienced in ND but it would be nothing for someone that's hunted elk in the Rockies.

Anyhow, if I were to try to go hog hunt today, there's a bunch in the SE side of the state that hold strong populations of hogs. The ones that I know were good in the last few years were #47, #55, and #71. #47 would be my favorite but it's close to my hometown and I have the most experience with it. It sets on the edge of an area called "Tiger Mountain" and the locals around there have historically been pig farmers. They are the main reason that there is a pig problem in that area.

In years passed, the best thing to do was to look for hogs either where the WMA butted up to Lake Eufaula (this was especially good in late summer when the lake was low) or to scout out areas close to pig farms. Apparently, at night, the feral hogs would try to "socialize" with the pigs in the farms.

If you do make it down there, do everyone a favor and shoot every damn pig you find. Outside of some of the outfitters/guides and their clients, the rest of us hate those things!

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
according to google maps thats a 15 hours drive straight through.. same drive i just took last fall for elk, so that is very doable... maybe have to do some research on this... what kind of gun do you use on these suckers, i would love to put the hammer down with my 22-250, is that enough gun?

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
according to google maps thats a 15 hours drive straight through.. same drive i just took last fall for elk, so that is very doable... maybe have to do some research on this... what kind of gun do you use on these suckers, i would love to put the hammer down with my 22-250, is that enough gun?

Most guys I know, bow hunt them. I also know a few guys that have hunted them from horse back using 30/30's but I wouldn't recommend it.

- - - Updated - - -

According to a friend I have down there that I just spoke with, hog hunting has actually exploded down there in the last 5 years. So it's apparently not a walk in the park like it used to be. He lives on Lake Eufaula and most of that lake is COE land and is open to hunting. He told me that there have been lots of hogs in the last 2 years on the south end of the lake so you might check those areas. The COE land rarely gets hunted.

BTW, Deer season ends 15 January there so you'd be safe anytime after that.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a 6.8 SPCII last year and that laid the smackdown on them. I think you could use a 22-250 as well. A .223 might work but they are a tough animal so just takes a good shot. Head and neck shots we were told as they are built like little tanks.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most guys I know, bow hunt them. I also know a few guys that have hunted them from horse back using 30/30's but I wouldn't recommend it.

- - - Updated - - -

According to a friend I have down there that I just spoke with, hog hunting has actually exploded down there in the last 5 years. So it's apparently not a walk in the park like it used to be. He lives on Lake Eufaula and most of that lake is COE land and is open to hunting. He told me that there have been lots of hogs in the last 2 years on the south end of the lake so you might check those areas. The COE land rarely gets hunted.

BTW, Deer season ends 15 January there so you'd be safe anytime after that.

exploded how so? like there are a ton of people down there hunting them now? is there a better time to go that there isnt an asston of people chasing them?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88