Holy crap, carp, crap, carp, whatever.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bow fisherman shatters carp record; ‘A straight-up monster’ (yahoo.com)

Bow fisherman shatters carp record; ‘A straight-up monster’

66a7511e0094045812ff57ed55c2472a

“We just couldn’t believe it,” Neuling told the Missouri Department of Conservation. “We knew what type of fish it was, but we had never seen one that size.

“This thing is a straight-up monster. A five-gallon bucket could easily fit in its mouth. If my buddy wasn’t with me, there was no way I could have pulled it out of the water.”

The previous Missouri record bighead carp caught via alternative methods weighed 104 pounds, 15 ounces. (Alternative methods include archery, throw lines, snagging, spearfishing, and other types of fishing that do not involve a rod and reel.)
For the sake of comparison, the International Game Fish Assn. lists as the all-tackle world record a 90-pound bighead catfish caught at Guntersville Lake in Tennessee in 2005. (The IGFA only recognizes fish caught via rod and reel.)
The MDC explained in a news release that carp of this size are at least 10 years old. Bighead carp are native to southern and central China but have gained a foothold in portions of the United States.
“This particular fish is an example of just how well an invasive species can thrive if given the opportunity,” said Andrew Branson, an MDC biologist. “We encourage people to harvest these fish to help remove them from our waters.”
The MDC collected the head of Neuling’s carp for study, and said Neuling used other parts of the fish as catfish bait.
–Image courtesy of the Missouri Department of Conservation

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88