Home elliptical machine

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been pondering the idea of a bedroom ornament, er I mean, work out machine. Due to health issues I need something low impact like an elliptical or stair stepper. What do you guys have, like or dislike?

I just don't have the time to make it to the gym like I want to, but could probably find 20-30 minutes at home.

I have been looking at the bow flex max trainer. They look like they are what I'm looking for, and don't take up as much space as your typical machine, but also come with a hefty price tag.

I'm sure I could find something on Bisman, but curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Wildbill65

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI we just purchased a true PS300 Elliptical machine from Exercise equipment center is Bismarck. A bit spendy but you get what you pay for. You should go check them out first. We are very pleased with them they came 100 miles to deliver and set up for free.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing I will suggest is getting one that is quiet. It really is unbelievable at how much a slight "swish, swish" sound from an unbalanced, or rubbing elliptical will get on your damn nerves.

I guess if you are the type to wear headphones while on it you could probably get away with a cheaper system, but if you don't...the TV can't be loud enough until it's too loud.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure to look at the ceiling height of the room. If you are 6' and the machine props you up 2' you probably want at least a 9' ceiling.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife keeps asking for one. I tell her to go.for a walk. Once she proves she will commit to a 30 minutes walk every other day for 2-3 months, I will buy a machine. Until then, I have a legitimate concern it will become an expensive clothes rack.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
They all become laundry racks, ALL OF THEM! I currently have a treadmill in my basement. The reason its there is because my mom bought it and used it for a year, then my sister took it for a year, now its been sitting in mine for about 5 years. Either go to the gym before work or before you go home after work. Unless you are a single dad of 4 kids you have time, and gym memberships are pretty much free these days.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Octane and I love it.
It's very compact compared to those big rear-flywheel ones.
I've had it for probably 10 years now and the only maintenance is to shine up the roller bars every once in a while.
They're not cheap, but very well made and solid.

http://www.octanefitness.com/home/products/standing-ellipticals/

- - - Updated - - -

Have to disagree with Bfishn. Mine is NOT a laundry rack - even after 10 years - and I also have a gym membership that I use weekly.
If you get a good one, you'll want to use it more.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you choose do not buy one until you have tried it out, they are not one size fits all when it comes to ellipticles, they come in different stride lengths, sizes options ongoing,. would get one that has auto incline and resistance programs rather than a fixed foot bed.
Also when getting one make sure and find out who is going to do warranty work on it and if one can get an extended warranty. I have put 1200 miles on my elipticle in the last 2 years and have the extended warranty and have used it 3 times already but it is a pain in the ass as it was sold through sears but need to go through several channels to get anything done and then sears contract service vendors come and look at it which takes about a week then order parts and another week ect ect. I have a Solebrand ellip and a Nordic track treadmill, extended warranty on both but the treadmill only has a few hundred mileson it so far, I bought them both used with only about 15 miles on them for half of new and previous owners had purchased the extended warranties that I transferred to me after purchase.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a ribeye machine at home for exercising.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you only have 20 to 30 minutes look up kettleworx. It is full body work out burn more calories a d you dont just loose weight you get stronger. Also it is cheaper 30 bucks for program on Amazon and 20 bucks for a 15 pound kettle bell which is all you need to start. I get bored fast on ellipticals and such.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a bow flex max that DOES get use, the Mrs. Bought is a year or so ago and we love it, it will work you, no complaints what so ever.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a bow flex max that DOES get use, the Mrs. Bought is a year or so ago and we love it, it will work you, no complaints what so ever.

Do you have any negatives about the machine? Which model do you have?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old Nordic Track. I didn't use it much, but after getting a stent last fall, and taking Beta Blockers to slow the bottom half of the heart down I have to exercise 30 minutes a day. I have had three knee surgeries so the elliptical is about the only thing I can work out on without a lot of pain. The new ones they have sure have some nice features. My old one is a plane jane, but it works.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have any negatives about the machine? Which model do you have?
neither one of us have any complaints about it after a year or so of use, other than cost haha. We have the M5, I'm not the typical gym type so not a lot of experience with other machines, do know that elliptically drove me nuts, I'm a short guy at 5'10 and the strides were a pain in the arse for me, the m5 has lots of preprogrammed work outs and it will work you in 15 minutes, trust me

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 108
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 35