How beneficial are fishing reports anyway???

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one thing I can tell you is that back when I did the weekly fishing reports for Eds in Devils Lake, if I missed a week my email would get bombarded by people wanting a report and chewing me out for missing that week. So, I'm guessing a lot of people look forward to reading them and use them at least somewhat. Most reports don't ever give out those little secret spots, but typically give an angler a good idea of how the bite is, general locations to try, and what tactics are working. Enough for most weekend warriors to catch some fish and a good starting point for those more advanced fisherman.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree in that I mainly look at what depth, temperature, presentation and speed people are using. Knowing the general area that somebody fished helps but I don't expect anybody to give up their hot spots.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will read them but don't normally go out to the spot named. Unless it is KDM telling me what rock to go stand on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will read them but don't normally go out to the spot named. Unless it is KDM telling me what rock to go stand on.

I'd NEVER tell you that. I just tell you where to go! (Grin)

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one thing I can tell you is that back when I did the weekly fishing reports for Eds in Devils Lake, if I missed a week my email would get bombarded by people wanting a report and chewing me out for missing that week. So, I'm guessing a lot of people look forward to reading them and use them at least somewhat. Most reports don't ever give out those little secret spots, but typically give an angler a good idea of how the bite is, general locations to try, and what tactics are working. Enough for most weekend warriors to catch some fish and a good starting point for those more advanced fisherman.

Being the guy that writes the weekly report and has done it for quite a few years now this pretty much sums it up. I try to give the basics but don't want to be to exact so I still have some spots and advantages. Any weekender who reads my Red River reports should be able to catch fish with the info supplied.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes a report indicating fishing sucks somewhere, especially during the winter, can be just as helpful as a positive report. So if you don't want to post when they ARE biting, post when you strike out as that is helpful too.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
For big bodies of water that I dont fish often, I like to look at reports to get a general understanding of depths, presentation, etc. that is working at the time. Not looking for exact spots or "honeyholes" just general info. I dont mind sharing that type of info either. I like to keep favorite spots and small lakes on the down low (exept a select few who I trade info with!). With todays technology and peoples big mouths, it doesnt take long for word to get out! Haha.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
For big bodies of water that I dont fish often, I like to look at reports to get a general understanding of depths, presentation, etc. that is working at the time. Not looking for exact spots or "honeyholes" just general info. I dont mind sharing that type of info either. I like to keep favorite spots and small lakes on the down low (exept a select few who I trade info with!). With todays technology and peoples big mouths, it doesnt take long for word to get out! Haha.

HoneyHoles.com

Attachments

p_c2af49df36a3b11fbfd24001afae5dd2.jpg

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yours are not beneficial to me at all! Unless you benefit by making me jealous!

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy the fishing reports quite a bit, very rarely look at lakes that i don't/won't be fishing anytime soon though. The muddin' reports are a must read for me to see what's happening back home.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd NEVER tell you that. I just tell you where to go! (Grin)

Kdm this winter we are going on a special opps mission. We cant talk about the mission, just get in the pickup and promise to use my spare vexilar.

Kngkong

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they are nice to have. For those of us that don't make it out every weekend or want to try an new lake it can help provide a good starting point.

DonC

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reports are important when it is 900 miles one way to the lake. I watch for trends in fishing reports and watch wx forecast 2 weeks forward. Nothing worse then driving 900 miles and get blown out for 3 days of a 5 day trip. Nice to know a good starting point. Have a few members here that are my last call before leaving. Combined reports and a few local contacts has worked for me for years. :;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88