How Cold Is Too Cold?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well for me it all comes down to pressure if the pressure is been steady regardless of cold I will be out there, heck some of the coldest days in Jan seem to be on the weekend of the DLVFD so go figure. There has been some really cold days ha ha, I have fished the tourney went out after for some eye hunting. It's a family tradition It really comes down to the pressure which has sucked damn el nino

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was gonna give it try this weekend somewhere....after whats being said bout the weather temp...ah...I'll sleep in, just dinker around the house, watch football, read on NDA how miserable you did when you gave it a whirl....hehehe. There will be other days to fish this winter, we ain't out of the woods yet boys..wish we were tho, but thats ND winters for ya. Been kinda slippery driving around today here in willyville.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The older I get the more weather makes a difference. Me stay home

- - - Updated - - -

When the weather is 24below

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This cold snap is great it will thicken the ice up for late season. Jeepers u guys.

- - - Updated - - -

And those slippery old yotes will be on the move also stocking deer herds and give a guy chance to wack them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup yote wacking is my agenda, gonna go out for a bit tomorrow, and maybe have a few Busch lights after at Champs, and watch some football. Eat a prime rib, have a whiskey, and than challenge mrs johnr to some wrestling.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good weekend to stay home and process some venison sausage.

winner winner!
15lb batch done tonight and many more tomorrow. coors lights tasting nicely I might add

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished the Tobacco Gardens tourney today. Buddy was sick, stayed off the 4 wheeler and stayed put all day. The Big Buddy had the Eskimo well into the 80s. Fishing was awesome, the catching sucked. Had the wind been forecast higher speeds we probably would have not gone out.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to go, but my fishing partner sallied out. "But it's going to be -24 in the morning" he says. Waa waa, cry me a river.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year's coyote tounament around late january if i remember correctly (-33 windchill) when it felt like dry-ice touching the gun barrel and the mouth and electronic calls were freezing up, #heatpacks4thewin

(Major Hat's off to you crazy-ass outdoor football fans late in the season i will say!! I will go hunt or fish in this shitte, but noooo way in hell for any sport when the couch is much more comfortable and the beer Is cheaper/pisser is empty/and that pause feature is quite prime..)

Anyways, wasnt able to make today's tourney, but im sure it was the same story for the ole boys. They managed one which tied for first i guess; missed a shitton/shitake of rabbits tho which (1) woulda brought home the gold after drawing the wrong card..

All in all, to answer the original question again, I'd have to say -40 windchill has to be around the cutt-off point..think the cold has froze our damn brains up here! :/

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
It hit -6 (estimate) yesterday and we had to start opening up vents and shedding clothes. The cold seems to fade when you see the head of a pig walleye poke through the hole. BUT my snowmobile is eating spark plugs and every store in Canada closes shop at 4 pm. Awesome trip so far but you all hear about it from huff, Subelect and myself soon enough.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today!! Today is too cold! Making sausage in a heated garage whilst drinking blue num nums sounds like a better plan.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be smoking my final round today. Had to the let the goose jalepeno summer sausage and the wife's venison summer sausage sit overnight before smoker it. Football, coors light and hickory smoke be going all day today!

Batman4277

this weekend is over my limit. my propane jiffy don't like to run very well in this cold of weather. plus this kind of weather is hard on other equipment and my suburban already has 277,000 miles and not sure I want to chance trusting it to stay running in this kind of weather. I must be getting old because, I use to think it was great bird hunting in -28 temps.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was an iron man trip to Winnipeg again this year. -28 was the coldest morning, but when you suck it up you get rewarded. Huff caught his career walleye 30", my partner caught his career walleye for length 29 1/2", Dirty caught his career walleye and I caught a couple MA's. In my defense my career eye is 29 1/2" and just shy of 11 lbs.

Stuff doesn't want to start, when it does it gets cold fast, ice sings a snappy poppy song all day long, heater hoses freeze up and stuff gets brittle and breaks. But, it just might be the trip of a life time, so we do it anyway.

#winnipegruinedme

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fished the Tobacco Gardens tourney today. Buddy was sick, stayed off the 4 wheeler and stayed put all day. The Big Buddy had the Eskimo well into the 80s. Fishing was awesome, the catching sucked. Had the wind been forecast higher speeds we probably would have not gone out.

After getting to the weigh in and seeing the board I didn't feel so bad about only going out to keep the holes open. Catching was brutal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18