How thick do you like the ice to be before you start walking out and fishing?

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty new to ice fishing (last season was my first) and I was wondering how much ice is enough to start walking out and fishing safely.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 inches of clear ice
thinicechartgif-1.jpg

This would be for smaller lakes or ponds with shallow water or closer to shore

Last edited:

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I went out on 6 inches and that was about as thin as i'll go. Problem is if it's 6 inches, the "bad" spots may be much thinner. I love ice fishing but love coming home to my family more.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to go out on 3 before I had kids now it's got be 5plus. I just get to fish the river a little longer in the fall now.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea 4 ish is about as thin as I'll go. Even then I'm pretty sketched out. I don't act like it tho, obviously :;:smokin

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I walked out knowing that out of the channel was 4-6 inches, well I found the channel and it was only about 2.5....I fished and caught some fish but it was a little dicey....

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was driving out on 10 last year. I'm just not comfortable with ice. Even at 16 I get the jitters.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anything a spud won't go through with a good thrust. 3ish if high quality. 4-5 not a second thought.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll walk out on 3-4" clear ice on lakes I know, I am a little guy though-155, if it's a lake I don't know I won't leave the tracks until 8+, I'll drive on 16" but follow tracks, again on lakes I know, I grew up with my dad being a brave and lucky SOB but springs are common in many lakes- no need to be a trail blazer be safe

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get to anxious. First ice can be overrated. I have walked on some unbelievable Ice while duck hunting and being stupid. Anyway if your not scared of swimming in cold cold water

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
After I was finally able to move back to Bismarck, my wife bought me a new auger for a graduation present. I think it was the middle of November and I HAD to try it out. I think I was on no more than 2 inches. Didn't take long to drill through it. I fished for a bit, took a picture and went home. Upon looking at the picture, even I was mad at myself for being on that ice.

Last edited:

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I would tie a rope around each other and the "bigger" guy would go first to check ice. I remember fishing on about 2" and seeing the ice bow where my buddy was fishing. Back then we thought we were the shit being the first ones on the ice, looking back now we were just plain stupid.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a heavy spud and use it everywhere you go until later in winter when the conditions are obviously safe. Also, explore around your area with a spud before fishing. If first hole doesn't produce it's very easy to forget and walk off in some new direction to drill without "feeling" your way there with a spud. That could be the spot with thin ice.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I would tie a rope around each other and the "bigger" guy would go first to check ice. I remember fishing on about 2" and seeing the ice bow where my buddy was fishing. Back then we thought we were the shit being the first ones on the ice, looking back now we were just plain stupid.

Back in college a buddy and I ice fished Trenton lake right after freeze up. maybe 2 inches of ice. We kept the truck running on shore and each had a few changes of clothes with. I think we each fell threw at least 3 times that weekend. we where in about 3-4 feet of water. We would fall through, get out, go change and dry off in the truck and come back out. Fishing was insane. but looking back.... holy shit was that stupid.

now i like at least 6 to walk on. and i wont take my F150 out until i see the 3/4 ton and diesel 1 tons out there

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I about put the side by side through last year, I a very freaky feeling that turns my stomach just thinking back. Follow guys advice, and stay away from pressure ridges

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year in November a strong wind broke up the thin ice in the main part of the lake by Winchester island and golden highway. It was about 12 inches but man that was scary but I knew to keep my window rolled down just in case. Later that day a guy on a four wheeler drove over to me an said that was the most idiotic he had ever seen someone try. I just smiled and joking replied well I guess you have seen it all now. The ice was were I set up 10" of clear ice, which was cool in the flip over I could see the perch through the ice. That is the day I caught that 14.75" perch.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't go alone and make sure you have a pair of ice picks with. Four inches of clear ice is more then enough to hold you but like many said it can be quite variable so if possible its always a good idea to check the lake as it freezes so you can know where the ice is a couple days older or younger. If you can't watch it look for wave lines in the ice which in clear ice will be an area of cloudy slushy looking ice often about 10 or so feet wide and will run in and undulating line around the lake. The ice on these lines is often weaker and the ice past can sometimes be considerably thiner.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I see ATV's out zooming around, it's thick enough for me to head out. NO FISH is worth me going in the drink!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19