Lawnmower starting issue

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ebay, new carb. Pretty cheap replacement these days if don't know how to clean carb.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I disagree above ^^^^^ I mix 110 race fuel when kid is done motor crossing for year and the Stihl stuff runs like a rape ape and starts way easier, has to be your rubber gas line going bad and or carb needs cleaned.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am trying to picture why the carb would/could be the issue on a hard cold start when it starts fine whilst warm. especially, when its a relatively new development. can someone explain the mechanics behind that? thanks in advance.

It can throw the air-fuel mixture off. Think of it akin to the old carburetor chokes, you'd never get some of those old 50s-70s engines started without using a manual choke if the engine came with one. But once the engine was warmed up, you could shut it off and restart it easily.

A gummed up needle and seat or jets could be restricting gas flow and making the air-fuel ratio less rich than needed for a cold engine start.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Low speed circuit that’s partially plugged doesn’t let enough gas through so takes more pulls to finally suck in enough fuel to start it. Then the larger jet circuits take over. Warm engines start easier when it’s carb issues generally. But engines with worn out piston rings behave exactly like this also.

Yeah, but worn out piston rings often leaves one with a very easy to turnover engine. If one still notes good compression on the starting attempt, that pretty much leaves you looking at other causes for improper air-fuel ratios.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Carburetors are the devil. Goddam choke... I'll choke you!
EFI-4-life! Seriously, why can't we get fuel injection on a lawn mower?
Sorry, I know this is not helpful... I just really hate carburetors...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed with ^^^ carb most likely,easy man fix try some gum out in fresh oxy free fuel. Cross your fingers, ive got the same toro,went through the same thing this summer, carb kit was the fix, new plug,replace air filter,zoom

Last edited:

loocway

Check to see if flywheel key is sheared or partially sheered. Will throw off timing if it is. Mower either won't start, hard to start, or will run rough and not as it should

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A somewhat simple fix after I finally got around to working on it. Earlier this summer I convinced myself I was too busy to do that. LOL.

I found that the auto choke mechanism was not moving freely and would not close all the way reliably. I fully cleaned that area with acetone and an old toothbrush. Earlier I was just blowing down the area with compressed air. Then I replaced the spring with a new one. Luckily I have a parts store about 3 miles away and it is a low cost item. Now it starts in two pulls on a cold engine. Just like when I bought it. I feel if it had a primer, it would start in one pull. ?

I am so glad I never ran ethanol gas through my small engines. I think that would have caused issues with the carburetor too.

Thanks everyone for your comments. It is much appreciated.

I enjoy this site for all the insights and knowledge you guys have. Not just hunting and fishing, but everyday living topics. (Well some of you guys anyways. Probably not Camp**. But "he" sure is good for political drivel. What a waste of my time reading those topics. )

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84