How to slow my troll

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backtroll. If still to fast, trim motor up. If still to fast, deploy sock off the bow ring. If still too fast, your trolling motor will probably work. If still to fast, throw anchor off bow, tie off and get bobber rods out. The end.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a smaller drift sock off each side of the boat in the middle while trolling with a big motor. This would get my Ranger Reata with a 150 down to 1.5 mph and then I would steer with the bow mount or at the wheel. The bags in the middle of the boat provide a kind of fulcrum so the boat would pivot around the middle and turn easily, almost too easily. Never throw bags or buckets off the front of the boat, they will hold down the front in waves and you might take on water. Off the back of the boat works as well but then the bags are in the way of the motors and netting fish.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a smaller drift sock off each side of the boat in the middle while trolling with a big motor. This would get my Ranger Reata with a 150 down to 1.5 mph and then I would steer with the bow mount or at the wheel. The bags in the middle of the boat provide a kind of fulcrum so the boat would pivot around the middle and turn easily, almost too easily. Never throw bags or buckets off the front of the boat, they will hold down the front in waves and you might take on water. Off the back of the boat works as well but then the bags are in the way of the motors and netting fish.

A fix for this, is to use one of those socks that has a float on one part of the opening to keep the sock on the surface and then use 15-20 ft of line. The length of rope allows your boat to bob normally in waves making it less likely to spear waves. Just a thought.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always run your bow mount on a low setting pointed in reverse to slow the main motor.

I have the same problem as you with my 16ft Yar with a 90. Last summer I used the Ahab mentioned method; and although it works it was not ideal. 2 Amish bags off the front (small size bags) have been used for years with success. The 2 bags is a better option than 1 because 1 will drag the boat 1 way whereas 2 bags will have even pull both directions allowing you to troll a line easier. I just put a trolling plate on mine last week. I don't love the idea of a trolling plat; but didn't want to deal with strain on my bowmount, and didn't want to deal with bags or buckets.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love steering with the electric in the front and let the kicker push. The directional heading feature is really nice, you don't have to constantly be messing with it. I wish there were a way to have it follow a depth or contour on the map, maybe there is but its beyond me. I think if I make a trail it would follow it, but I haven't make any trails on my map either. I use the kicker for BB too. Sure glad I bought a boat with a kicker and a troll master for speed. With three guys we can run six rods with two planner boards without too much hassle. Not sure how that would work dragging socks and buckets around.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys I get it....Slowing down is a major problem with a lot of boat set ups, especially the new pontoons they have out. I would probably own a pontoon if they had them set up for SLOW TROLLING with a kicker.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the same issues with my 617 tiller with an 80 yahama. I opted for the sock but I ended up with the same issues as AaronJ. I constantly had to correct my direction and then I had a wet bag to deal with. If I ever end up in that situation again, I'll likely use two buckets or bags to correct the issue.

Fitz

Established Member
I have the same problem as you with my 16ft Yar with a 90. Last summer I used the Ahab mentioned method; and although it works it was not ideal. 2 Amish bags off the front (small size bags) have been used for years with success. The 2 bags is a better option than 1 because 1 will drag the boat 1 way whereas 2 bags will have even pull both directions allowing you to troll a line easier. I just put a trolling plate on mine last week. I don't love the idea of a trolling plat; but didn't want to deal with strain on my bowmount, and didn't want to deal with bags or buckets.

What plate did you purchase? Why did you pick that model?

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love steering with the electric in the front and let the kicker push. The directional heading feature is really nice, you don't have to constantly be messing with it. I wish there were a way to have it follow a depth or contour on the map, maybe there is but its beyond me. I think if I make a trail it would follow it, but I haven't make any trails on my map either. I use the kicker for BB too. Sure glad I bought a boat with a kicker and a troll master for speed. With three guys we can run six rods with two planner boards without too much hassle. Not sure how that would work dragging socks and buckets around.

- - - Updated - - -

Guys I get it....Slowing down is a major problem with a lot of boat set ups, especially the new pontoons they have out. I would probably own a pontoon if they had them set up for SLOW TROLLING with a kicker.
There is. You need hummingbird and minn Kota linked up and you can set it up that trolling motor will follow the contour you select. Works pretty slick.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Motor Guide and a Lowrance. Those are also compatible I'm told. I think there is a way to do it, but I don't have the manual for the graph. I've been meaning to download it and print it out, just haven't. So far using the directional heading has been good enough.

Jim Carroll

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try the two bag system. I think it's the most cost effective solution for both speed and boat control. Far better than a trolling plate for boat control and takes just a few seconds to deploy and retrieve. Great, low-cost solution to slow down your 4-stroke.

twin 30s under hull.jpg

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem with the drift socks under the boat is eventually I would for surely forget about them, then when it came time to cruise...well you know the rest.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
What plate did you purchase? Why did you pick that model?

Happy troller
1) price
2) easy install and ease of use
3) they have been around forever
4) 2 or 3 positions the plate can be in vs just all up or all down

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's pretty slick Jim!

This thread got me thinking back to the 70's and watching guys try to slow their pleasure boats down enough to fish. We had an old solid metal pontoon with a 35 hp, we trolled the shit out of BB all day. Guys would just be flying by us lol. Plus they were using tiny little BB's less than one ounce SMH. I've seen the buckets out, and other crazier stuff. We put a little tiller electric on the front in the 90's to Lindy and jig. But man could that thing pull BB and cranks. Miss that toon.

First people started putting electrics on the bow. That was fine, and still is for drifting, especially with good trolling motor. My first boat didn't have a kicker but I mostly BB because most my buddies didn't own a crank then. My trolling motor was nice and I could pull cranks for a couple hours at the end of the day. That boat caught a lot of fish for a bass style fish and ski boat. The lower end went out and I just ended up selling it. Wife wanted a pontoon, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to slow it down, or having to put a kicker on it. Yes slowing down is key, and I'm surprised that people still buy boats with one motor, then have to fight to slow down. I love my kicker!!

Yarcraft

Another option would be Nautilus Protrollers. You can get the benefits of smart tabs with the ability to flip them down and use as a trolling brakes. They even automatically flip up if you forgot about it and take off to the next spot, saved me a couple times

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have seen a few guys employing the "2 bucket" system...one off each side. May try that method this year...kinda cheap experiment. Guessing long as you have buckets same length/same number of drain holes...should slow pretty equally on each side. Something to think about...

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ever happened to those motors that shut off half their cylinders? Or maybe they shut off all but two of them, I can't remember. I thought those were going to take over the market. I know a buddy who has one and says it still works great. I think they came out with them in the late 90's or early 2000's

Yarcraft

The late 90’s early 2000’s Mercury 90-125 hp motors did that. They were called the 2+2 motors. Under 1800 rpm they only ran on 2 cylinders

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've said for years that the first manufacture to come out with a 2 speed lower unit that has low range for trolling is going to win a big race. It must be defeating the purpose on the market end of things and hurt the kicker sales because it just isn't happening.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88