Drift Sock for Back Trolling

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello Gents! Are any of my fellow tiller pals out there using a drift sock to slow speed while back trolling? I have been fishing with others who have done this and it seems to work great. I have a 16.5' Alumacraft Navigator with a 60 HP/FS. On a calm day I can back troll with the big motor to just under 2 MPH. I would like to drop that by almost half if I could. Does anyone have any experience as to what size drift sock would work for this set up. You can buy them as small as 24" to as big as 60" from what I can tell. I was thinking something in the middle, but was hoping for some insight.

While we are at it, any brands to stay away from or strongly consider?

Before it gets recommended, yes, I have trolling motors. Both bow and transom mount. But, the control with the main motor is hard to beat while back trolling.

Thanks for any help.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
turn the transom mount around to provide a "counter-thrust." If you don't want to do that, a mid-sized drift sock off the bow eye should slow you down plenty.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
for a boat that size you won't need any bigger than 24-36"

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 gallon bucket off the front with a stringer holding it on the center eye will work just fine, and that is free.

LiebelsGuide

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its really hard to say exactly but a 24-36" sock should slow you down enough when back trolling. But I like to have multiple drift socks in the boat mainly for drifting when the wind picks up(rare occurrence in ND, haha). With different wind speeds and wave heights you will get different speeds while drifting. I have a 66" and 48" sock and have had times in big winds where both of them won't slow me down as much as I would like. I've been using the Cabelas advanced angler socks and they have been great.

JCNodak

Honored Member
This may be a dumb question, but why do people backtroll? I have never been taught why, I assume it is to go slower, but what a pain int he A. I tried it once and just got soaking wet.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the insight guys. After more research, I'll likely go with something in the 36-42" range.

- - - Updated - - -

This may be a dumb question, but why do people backtroll? I have never been taught why, I assume it is to go slower, but what a pain int he A. I tried it once and just got soaking wet.

I like to because my boat is set up that way for now. I could troll forward also, but like to be in the captains seat where all my stuff is and my graph is better back there. Boat control for me is another reason as I feel I can better navigate and maintain from there with the big motor. All personal preference I guess. I have wave wackers that help keep me dry, but on bad days like opener last year, if you spend enough time in the seat you will be wet.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

You will NEED wave whackers if you backtroll. You have better control of the boat and can slow yourself down quite a bit. Even though I run a tiller, I rarely back troll. I'll pull with the bow mount or vantage if necessary.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the insight guys. After more research, I'll likely go with something in the 36-42" range.

- - - Updated - - -

I like to because my boat is set up that way for now. I could troll forward also, but like to be in the captains seat where all my stuff is and my graph is better back there. Boat control for me is another reason as I feel I can better navigate and maintain from there with the big motor. All personal preference I guess. I have wave wackers that help keep me dry, but on bad days like opener last year, if you spend enough time in the seat you will be wet.

What is this opener you speak of?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have no less than 3 on board all the time in the toon, down from 5 in the boat... even in a 5 mph wind, i have at least 1 out, keeping my boat parallel to the direction i'm going... i pull at least a 24" straight out the back 95% of the time, and switch to bigger or smaller, sometimes several times per trolling run if it is not straight... i will run them off all 4 corners, and chain them at times or increase or decrease the length of rope out... i would not pull rigs without them... no reason to have people fishing under the boat...

if you learn how to use them, they are an invaluable tool in boat control... with the right baggies in the right places, along with a really good trolling motor or 2, you can make a boat dance...

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I backtroll with a Yamaha T8 kicker. I own two drift socks and hate them both. Wet nylon makes a mess when you bring them back on board. One will be handy as a sea anchor should I need it in an emergency though. I'll second the recommendation for using a plastic pail, I like a 2" hole in the bottom. It can be used for storage when not being used as a speed controller and it brings a lot less water into the boat with it. Most of them float if you tear the wire handle off, but avoid that by rigging rope through the sides where the wire handle came from.
As for needing wave whackers, I think they are in my way when fishing or netting at the rear of my boat. Backsplash gets you wet? Are you afraid of dissolving your candy a$$? If it's that rough, my T8 will forward troll into the wind at almost zero net speed.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure its been said already; back trolling is all about boat control in a tiller. I only use my bow mount if I'm casting cranks or; if I'm in the mood pulling bouncers with two fishing poles. If I cant keep up with my Minn Kota Vantage I use my big motor combined with a 36" in Drift Control Magnum. If I need to troll cranks I clip it to my bow cleat and let it drift under the boat and it keeps my speed were I need it. I've always liked to use a drift sock when needed, they are a necessary tool that never leaves my boat.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have one small sock for backtrolling and one huge one for drifting. The Cabelas's drift socks have never failed me so far.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have no less than 3 on board all the time in the toon, down from 5 in the boat... even in a 5 mph wind, i have at least 1 out, keeping my boat parallel to the direction i'm going... i pull at least a 24" straight out the back 95% of the time, and switch to bigger or smaller, sometimes several times per trolling run if it is not straight... i will run them off all 4 corners, and chain them at times or increase or decrease the length of rope out... i would not pull rigs without them... no reason to have people fishing under the boat...

if you learn how to use them, they are an invaluable tool in boat control... with the right baggies in the right places, along with a really good trolling motor or 2, you can make a boat dance...
OMG that seems like a pain in the arse

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93