How to slow my troll

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's pretty slick Jim!

This thread got me thinking back to the 70's and watching guys try to slow their pleasure boats down enough to fish. We had an old solid metal pontoon with a 35 hp, we trolled the shit out of BB all day. Guys would just be flying by us lol. Plus they were using tiny little BB's less than one ounce SMH. I've seen the buckets out, and other crazier stuff. We put a little tiller electric on the front in the 90's to Lindy and jig. But man could that thing pull BB and cranks. Miss that toon.

First people started putting electrics on the bow. That was fine, and still is for drifting, especially with good trolling motor. My first boat didn't have a kicker but I mostly BB because most my buddies didn't own a crank then. My trolling motor was nice and I could pull cranks for a couple hours at the end of the day. That boat caught a lot of fish for a bass style fish and ski boat. The lower end went out and I just ended up selling it. Wife wanted a pontoon, but I didn't want the hassle of trying to slow it down, or having to put a kicker on it. Yes slowing down is key, and I'm surprised that people still buy boats with one motor, then have to fight to slow down. I love my kicker!!

you just have to have the right motor my 150 trolls 1.9mph ----- all day if you need it faster push the throttle slightly or in the wind i use both trolling motor and the 150-- it doesnt hurt the motor or wear out either. Our water is frozen for how many months here. your better off running the engine then letting it sit and decay.

rmiller

What ever happened to those motors that shut off half their cylinders? Or maybe they shut off all but two of them, I can't remember. I thought those were going to take over the market. I know a buddy who has one and says it still works great. I think they came out with them in the late 90's or early 2000's

I own one of these an 01 125 mercury it runs strong but pushes my boat too fast for cranks. I opted for a troll plate and steer with the bow mount works pretty well in my opinion but I don't do a lot of cranking. When putting the boat on the trailer in always takes more then the 2 cylinders to get it on so if someone is standing there waiting to hook the trailer up they shoot dirty looks at you because it sounds like you are trying to kill them. I also don't like to run my 2 stroke at that low of RPM for fear of fowling plugs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88