http://www.inforum.com/community/outdoors/4361857-retaining-young-hunters-presents-ch

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://http://www.inforum.com/community/outdoors/4361857-retaining-young-hunters-presents-challenge-grand-forks-parent-says

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.inforum.com/community/outdoors/4361857-retaining-young-hunters-presents-challenge-grand-forks-parent-says

- - - Updated - - -

Both of you slap your parents. God gave u the best life you could ever live and u whine about not getting a tag. We didn't have a youth season nor permits up da ass when I was young. Hunting is not all about success.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree. We really need to stop this youth tag program. Or at least reduce it down to one year like 13. Allowing these kids to have four or five consecutive years of tags certainly won't spell reality for them. Then get to hunt in their own season on top of it. That's like giving the fat kid a snickers bar every day for a week then telling then to fuck off for the next three days lol

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had my first deer tag back in the 60's. No such thing as being unsuccessful in the lottery, there was no lottery. Buy a license over the counter. However, there weren't 90,000 people buying a license and there weren't anywhere near the deer we have, even today. There was no legal party hunting then but it was very common. If someone saw a deer they shot it, or at least at it. A trophy buck was one big enough to put your tag around the antler.

The article makes it sound like a youth gets a tag for 5 years in a row. Not true the youth doe only tags, for 12-13 year olds are available for 2 years. the youth tag (14-15) is a one time tag I believe. Even so, there aren't that many youth over-running the country side with a tag in their pocket. I'm old enough that I can live without a tag if a young person gets to shoot a deer instead of me.

I don't have a solution other than with more habitat we would have more deer and upland game. I know coyotes eat a lot of deer What I don't know is actually how many. I suspect the coyotes are eating way more deer than anyone knows. Unfortunately, hunting them is fun but nearly useless in controlling the population. For those of you who are pretty successful killing coyotes, how many do you have to kill in an area before you really notice a reduction in the population?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In most cases It costs a lot of money to create and maintain habitat. Although wildlife appreciates habitat most humans seem to expect it to be handed over to them on a silver platter. Step # 1 is to figure out ways for landowners to recoup some of those costs and you will see more habitat. It was a hard decision when my CRP contract expired, It was well established, Weed free and set up on a 2 year haying rotation. Perfect habitat and Easy to manage but the catch was that it would cost me about $ 2500 per year VS renting it out as farmland. In the past I used to guide 1 or 2 whitetail hunts a year and recoup the cost and everybody was happy except for you guys because I was guiding your deer and I was haying CRP that's double dipping. Anyway, The state finally made it so risky to operate as a small scale outfitter that It just wasn't worth it any more. I still do a lot for wildlife conservation but I wish I'd went with another CRP contract.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some people will never be happy. The guy has no problem taking his family to Saskatchewan to go bird hunting. If shooting a deer with a gun is so important get a leftover doe tag and drive across the state. He's got them bow hunting so they get the opportunity to hunt every year l regardless. Any resident could have gotten a gun tag this year if they were willing. Same thing with you Eyexer if it is that important you could have had the opertunity to shoot two deer this year. You made your choice. Ive got a buddy that was to lazy to apply on time for the deer lottery. He was still able to buy a doe tag a few weeks ago.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the tag issue is legitimate - I know growing up it wouldn't have been very feasible for my dad to take me 3-4 hours to hunt an unfamiliar area just so we could have a doe tag.

I think the bigger issues are access and how busy young people are. Even most sports' participation rates are down and I've got to believe it's largely due to kids having so many things to take up their time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88