Hulu + Live vs. Cable

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
We made the switch to Youtube TV. It has everything your looking for and is way cheaper than any of the dish services. We also have a bunch of the "streaking" :O services and will be canceling some of them, netflix in particular... seems like they jack their rates up every year. just got a notification from them saying they are going up something like 25%. Yep, time to be done with most of them. Figure we probably spend an extra 70-100/month just on the streaming services... We will keep prime because it's part of our amazon subscription, but I think the rest of them can go.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's fricking ridiculous what you have to pay to watch commercials. After you buy all the streaming services you need to watch what you want it would probably be a wash just to keep your cable or dish service anyway.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to ditch cable and get a cheaper alternative.
I need something with local channels for weather and news, and Fox news channel, as I like to watch Gutfeld.
Anyone have some magic service for me?
Hulu plus or live, whatever it's called now, would work, as would YoutubeTV. Both are around $80/month and creep up $5-10 a year. I've had Hulu for 4-5 years, no real complaints.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worthless ^^^ they need updates from new websites every couple weeks these days and you practically need to be a rocket surgeon to do it. I consider myself pretty adept at IT shit. I have managed to keep 10 15 year old computers online at my place of work. But, I gave up on jail broke firesticks years ago. Plus, depending on what you do with them, there are legal concerns. It's not worth the effort and/or risk imho.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left Direct Tv and DIsh a few years ago and stream. You do need decent internet service but works good! Many services include local channels and generally cost far less than cable or satellite service. If local channels are not included, all over the air transmission is digital and HD if broadcast that way. And unless you are using a very old tv it has a digital tuner. The antenna on the other hand is an antenna. No such thing as a digital antenna or HD antenna. That’s all marketing hype. Any antenna will work. Some antennas are more directional, some designed for UHF some for VHF and some for both. If you have a multi channel antenna from the 60’s it will work just fine. Likely you need an antenna that receives both UHF and VHF.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hulu plus or live, whatever it's called now, would work, as would YoutubeTV. Both are around $80/month and creep up $5-10 a year. I've had Hulu for 4-5 years, no real complaints.
This will give me local news?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have YouTube tv and get all local channels. I dropped dish in October but am considering going back to it. I didn’t get to watch the NFR this year because it’s not available on my streaming service. I could have paid for it but I’m too cheap. There are several other channels that I had that I don’t anymore. But $75 per month looks better on paper than $115 per month for dish.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup Hulu + and You Tube tv give you local channels. I have You Tube and like it but cost is up to 80$ per month. Getting expensive but still a lot cheaper than Direct TV for very similar package.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup Hulu + and You Tube tv give you local channels. I have You Tube and like it but cost is up to 80$ per month. Getting expensive but still a lot cheaper than Direct TV for very similar package.
Mrs johnr just cancelled our local cable, added Hulu + and it will save us $50 a month. that is a cool $600/yr more for me to waste on pull tabs and whatnot.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can always watch local news online even on your local news channel website. The only issue is that you must wait till the news is done before watching, that's actually how most online website work even for your favorite shows. I use only online websites to watch all my shows even on those that need a membership to see like paramount+ and when prime decides to pull their crap with commercials while streaming then I will watch those shows to on my online websites to.

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I totally got rid of Hulu + live and just have a regular antenna on the roof just like grandpa and grandma did. We get 39 channels on a clear day. We don’t miss Hulu at all and are enjoying the money savings. If we want to watch something different we log into our Amazon prime and watch the tv channels they offer

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple TV, Youtube TV, if have Verzion cell phone can get specials, Best Roko stick is nice of course if like all little extra channels like Parmount +, etc cost like $5 month, Netflex after they busted everybody cheating passwords around did raise rates and as mentioned above if want no commercials pay extra.
They all have us deep in pockets, I dont watch much all BS crap. Regular antenna is so -so depends where live maybe 6 channels in Bismarck.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a cheap directional antenna in attic and we get right around 20 local channels . We have Roku for streaming, Haystack TV and a couple others used to have free local news.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
What absolutely chaps my ass is I pay more for cable/Internet than for Electricity and natural gas . In fact its almost double and I am not close to the top tier in cable , for instance I dont get AMC anymore due to my package

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Either get a smart TV you can mirror your phone and watch all your favorite on on line streaming sites like this
https://primewire.space/home.html
Or get a lap top a hdmi cable that you can hook up to your TV and use the site above. I even have sport sites where I can watch any sport live,.especially American football games. These sites are free no sign up needed unless you want better resolution.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88