Humminbird Ice Helix 5 Sonar GPS Combo

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Bird 386ci and like it. I also have a flx28 that I acquired this year. The separation on the 28 cant be beat, but for most of my time on the ice I use the bird. I also mounted a ram mount to the atv and base so I can read maps when moving. The Vex can not do that! Thought about upgrading to a Helix 7 then transferring it to the boat as well. The bird does not play nice with a Marcum near by......

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fisherman... take it off of flasher mode! Having a graph and using it in flasher mode is just plain silly.

Don't make me dust off the end all discussion of flasher versus boat sonar!

I will never understand the likings of boat sonar for ice. In the photo of brad's it is just a mess to look at. Maybe...just maybe I could handle it a bit if I ran the amplitude bar. But otherwise the 'bubbling' and clean view a flasher gives trumps boat sonar in my opinion.

Like fisherman25, I think I want one for the GPS capability and a backup if have extra person coming or a failure occurs.

etoskunc

All depends on what you want to spend, personally, I go with HDS Lowrance I saw these models at bestoutdooritems.com I also used a Furuno, Raymarine, and Navman. All brought good results with the right movement. I think that it comes down to personal elections and how much you need to spend this business personally. I find the 5 inch screens too small when working in split-screen mode. As far as the transducer goes it really depends on what you MAINLY fish for if most fishing is in depths less than 100m you'll be fine with the 600w transducer.Its all about getting the best unit that suits your fishing. Yesterday I came across an interesting video on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by6a1Bw_zZY
View it will be useful

Last edited:

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I went with the Helix 7 SI unit. I needed a new one for the boat anyway, so why not. I then purchased a ice transducer, and an extra power cable hooked it up to the power box I made and used it all winter. It worked awesome. I also have the FL28 and I'm very glad my wife likes using it because ill never go back to a straight flasher again. I just install the unit in the boat this weekend and am hoping to get it on the water tonight. The unit was around $750 and another $100 for the ice ducer but can use it all year seems like a great idea to me!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5