Hunting Clothes - Sitka

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on what you are intending your hunt style to be like. Here is what I have ran the last 4yrs after I jumped on the Sitka bandwagon, I went with Sitka because that was what was in store for me to try on to get the right fit. I would have liked to try First Lite and never thought about Black Ovis. I got into these for Muley hunting and I am by no means an expert, but have been using the gear for other hunts around here beings I have them, some pheasant hunting when warm out and for Twist of Fate sitting in the blind the last two falls with the temperature swings

-Mountain or Intercept Pants (Can't remember but can look tonight if you want, PM my phone) I have gone from 110-50 degrees if not down to 40.
-Scheels marino blend long johns, have been down to at least 20 degrees and windy with no problem and then up to 50-60 degrees. I was comfortable
-Core Lightweight Crew LS Shirt. This is a really light shirt but again I have hunted from 50-110 degrees with just that on. Then I use it as a base layer.
-Fleece hooded sweatshirt (not sure on brand) or Sitka Core Lightweight Hoodie (bought last year and barely used it). 50-60 degrees and got hot fast when walking in the one night so into the pack it went.
-Stratus Jacket (I think but again can look tonight). Pair this with either the Lightweight shirt or a sweatshirt. With a light sweatshirt and the hood pulled up tight I was able to sit on a butte in the wind with not too much discomfort.
-Traverse gloves. Use as needed on the chilly days

My buddy is getting heavy into the wool game, Sitting Indian is what he is going with. He said if you shop around you can pick up used stuff pretty reasonable in comparison of new. If you are sitting in a tree stand or tucking into a hiding spot on the ground I think some good basic layers and carry in your wool then put it on would be a good route. When it gets cold for rifle and late season bow sitting in my blind I still rock my Carhart's. I used to snub my nose at the Sitka, Kuiu guys but after getting it and giving it a specific task and tweaking little by little I have a setup that works for a range of conditions I'm a believer. That being said if I was just going to chase whitetail around home I'm not sure if I would invest in this exact same gear the same way or not.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note - First Light Cipher Pattern clothing is 40% off at Scheels till 10/20/24. I like that pattern better than the Sitka Sub Alpine Optifade I have but I'm not going to start buying to switch over just for the pattern. Figure out your intended use, go try some different things on and get a couple pieces to build off of. I started with pants and lightweight shirt in beginning Sept and got the jacket later (caught it with a huge mark down on price-I think someone made an oops)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does a guy go about starting to chip away at a clothing system that can keep you warm in November yet not sweating your ass off when you get to your destination?
Don't over look the "puffy" jacket and pants.
This.

I'll walk in with the least amount of clothing I can get away with. Everyone is different in this regard as to what "minimal clothing" means. What I've found for myself is that I really can't use a windstopper or waterproof layer while I'm moving or I'll be instantly sweated up. So whatever I wear while I'm moving has to breathe.

Once I get where I'm going I'll take off my top layers down to the skin to dry off and start digging in my pack for insulating layers. If it's going to be a longer sit I like a heavy or high-pile fleece against my skin, then a set of puffy pants/top, then something wind and or water proof.

Puffy layers need to be allowed to "Puff". They can't be tight on you, and if you have a layer over top of them, that layer can't be tight either. Dead air space is your best friend for staying warm.

A pretty good "cheat" for lots of warmth with very little weight are the chemical heater back pads.

Amazon product

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
one thing I've gotten way better at for "getting to the spot" without arriving in a lather is to leave early and move slower

gets easier with age of course - but man what a difference it makes avoiding the "super man" race to the spot due to unbridled enthusiasm

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Moving slower to get to my spot is always my plan to avoid overheating and sweating. Unfortunately, I always seem to be running late so am usually hauling ass to get there. Now having heated enclosed blinds to deer hunt from has really spoiled/ruined me. I dress alot lighter than back when I used to lay out a hill in the weather. The cold also seems alot colder when you get out of a heated blind.

★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Anyone run First Lite or Scheels brand?
I have first lite merino tops and scheels brand bottoms happy with both. I also use first lite uncompahgre puffy jacket when glassing in cold weather and have another that it is my everyday winter jacket as well. It is very light weight and I never get cold in it. I also use their corrugate guide pants which are light weight and flexible for pheasant hunting and late season I have my merino bottoms under and have never been cold. I have their gaiters, merino hats/gloves as well. I have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought 1 hooded grid fleece shirt from first lite and it is nice, I quit even looking at first lite since the parent company is actually anti hunting. On the other hand I have completely enjoyed my black ovis. I wear it from fall to spring.

★ Legendary Member
I bought 1 hooded grid fleece shirt from first lite and it is nice, I quit even looking at first lite since the parent company is actually anti hunting. On the other hand I have completely enjoyed my black ovis. I wear it from fall to spring.
I thought Meateater and Steve Rinella is the parent company of First Lite? No?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought Meateater and Steve Rinella is the parent company of First Lite? No?
Guess I never thought of Steve Rinella and the Meateater group as anti hunting based off of their video content. Did a little Google search and came up with the following below, Google is never wrong😉

Google search
https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/268164-46#signals
and
MeatEater acquired First Lite in 2018. The acquisition was a natural integration because the two companies had been working together since First Lite's inception
MeatEater is also the parent company of:
-FHF Gear, a fishing gear company
-Phelps Game Calls, a game calls brand
-Dave Smith Decoys (DSD)

First Lite-A hunting apparel company that specializes in technical apparel, including merino wool gear. First Lite has been committed to providing the best technical apparel for hunters since its inception in 2007.

Meateater-An outdoor lifestyle company founded by Steven Rinella in 2018. MeatEater is known for its TV shows, podcasts, recipes, and other aspects of hunting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black ovis sponsors known poacher muley freak so you should rule them out if buying off principal.
Guess I never thought of Steve Rinella and the Meateater group as anti hunting based off of their video content. Did a little Google search and came up with the following below, Google is never wrong😉

Google search
https://pitchbook.com/profiles/company/268164-46#signals
and
MeatEater acquired First Lite in 2018. The acquisition was a natural integration because the two companies had been working together since First Lite's inception
MeatEater is also the parent company of:
-FHF Gear, a fishing gear company
-Phelps Game Calls, a game calls brand
-Dave Smith Decoys (DSD)

First Lite-A hunting apparel company that specializes in technical apparel, including merino wool gear. First Lite has been committed to providing the best technical apparel for hunters since its inception in 2007.

Meateater-An outdoor lifestyle company founded by Steven Rinella in 2018. MeatEater is known for its TV shows, podcasts, recipes, and other aspects of hunting.

Who then was bought out by chernin group who are known big libs and anti gun supporters.

Dig deep enough and every thing will have some thing you might not agree with.

I buy what works for me my 500 dollars a year isnt making or breaking any one.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black ovis sponsors known poacher muley freak so you should rule them out if buying off principal.

Who then was bought out by chernin group who are known big libs and anti gun supporters.

Dig deep enough and every thing will have some thing you might not agree with.

I buy what works for me my 500 dollars a year isnt making or breaking any one.
In my quick search that is all I found. My point is some people make claims on things but choose not to show anyone any proof. I would have appreciated if powerman would show me something or at least simply said the name of the company Cherin instead of just saying "a parent company" so I typed in parent company of First Lite and that is what I found, I had no idea Meateater sold to another company. the Google machine isn't exactly like the Book of Genesis were they list 50 descendant's of someone.
At least you gave some information to help shed some light on topics, thank you

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my quick search that is all I found. My point is some people make claims on things but choose not to show anyone any proof. I would have appreciated if powerman would show me something or at least simply said the name of the company Cherin instead of just saying "a parent company" so I typed in parent company of First Lite and that is what I found, I had no idea Meateater sold to another company. the Google machine isn't exactly like the Book of Genesis were they list 50 descendant's of someone.
Rokslide really has the info if some one is interested in digging deep. I used to concern my self with trying to be the self righteous purchases type but if you dig into any company you can find a reason not to support them. So unless i was going to start making my own shit i found it is just a time suck that really doesnt matter

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/chernin-group/summary?id=D000067127

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 235
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44