Hunting dogs surprise

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Poodles have nearly no smell and do not shed. You can't find a poodle hair in our house after 6 years.

A relative bought a pudelpointer and oh boy does it stink.

Are all pudelpointers that way? Other breeds? Are poodles the exception?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad and I were waiting for legal shooting light about a decade ago when another truck rolled up on us. Super nice guy asked if he could join us and it would be just him and his dog. When he opened the crate a puggle (pug x beagle mix) jumped out and he just sort of laughed and told us not to judge. Wow, could that dog could find birds. It was great watching him work with his stubby legs, curly tail and how he snorted trying to catch his breath. He worked so well and kept pace with our two labs, continuously flushing birds. Unfortunately the guy lost his dog when we got into some heavy action and we looked with him for a while before we had to jet back home. I have always wondered what happened to that guy and his goofy but awesome bird dog.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad and I were waiting for legal shooting light about a decade ago when another truck rolled up on us. Super nice guy asked if he could join us and it would be just him and his dog. When he opened the crate a puggle (pug x beagle mix) jumped out and he just sort of laughed and told us not to judge. Wow, could that dog could find birds. It was great watching him work with his stubby legs, curly tail and how he snorted trying to catch his breath. He worked so well and kept pace with our two labs, continuously flushing birds. Unfortunately the guy lost his dog when we got into some heavy action and we looked with him for a while before we had to jet back home. I have always wondered what happened to that guy and his goofy but awesome bird dog.

I got a puggle too and it hunts/tracks down pheasants like a crackhead finding a fix..lol.. only thing is she gets a little timid once i start shooting a bunch though..

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog Whitney was a give-away out the the Bismarck Trib and when I went to get her I thought she was a Rottweiler by her color pattern so I almost didn't take her. Owner said she was an oops from his neighbors lab male and golden retriever female so I took her. She was 11 months old and had only retrieved tennis balls on the lawn so I had to work her on using her nose for a week or two. I took her hunting about 3 weeks later along with my brothers GSP and his friends GWP and after a week of grouse and pheasant hunting she was the best of the three. (IMHO) She was my sidekick for almost 16 years and I haven't hunted since I lost her.

On another note, when I used to live down near Strasburg a farmer friend told me a local retired lawyer used to come back from Arizona every fall and hunt until the end of bird season and he would stop in the farmers yard and pick up their farm dog and keep it the whole time he hunted there. It was just a mutt, kinda looked like a German Shepard Collie cross but the lawyer said he hunted like a field trial champion. Don't know how the lawyer ever found out it would hunt but I often saw them out in the CRP around Strasburg and the dog was always 20 or 30 yards out in front of him working like crazy. Guess you can never tell what a dog can do unless you give them a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my third hunting dog. First was a male English Setter, then a male Springer, and now a female Springer. All great dogs in their own way. All had their good attributes and bad attributes. They don't judge me on my bad shots, etc etc etc so i have learned not to judge them on their bad attributes either. Just getting them out there to watch them do their thing is priceless in itself.
There is one thing us dog owners can agree on though. Once the time comes to put the dog down, the good memories far out weigh the bad....like...that was the best dog ever!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a big gangly lab growing up. His trim “hunting weight” was 94lbs. He could flat out smell. Even made some awkward points here and there. When he got older he would walk down wind of brush and give it a sniff. If he said no, you just as well not bother. Haven’t seen a nose like that since.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had labs for years. All good dogs. Hunt hard, friendly bird machines. Then years ago hunted with a friend that was into wirehairs/draathars. Holy hell did they hunt! I knew of them but had never hunted with one. Have often thought about getting one.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
tumblr_mlyu7jg0SL1rmuupwo1_500.jpg

yep - ha ha ha

#sonofafoofooshowdog

You knock those birds down this past weekend??? Way to go, Guy!!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You knock those birds down this past weekend??? Way to go, Guy!!!!

no - that was 2015 - maybe the most fun I've ever had hunting in my entire life to be honest - just Royce and I tromping frozen sloughs

Royce has since had both his spindly knees redone - hoping to get him out for a couple walks later this year - he's still not 100% since his last surgery was this summer

He's got a showdog's build and a hunter's heart unfortunately. Hope is bionic knees hang together in coming years - if he pulls up lame again I'll want to vomit - I'm so I am leery of overdoing it now. : (

- - - Updated - - -

and me... wearing my batvest

good times

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95