Hunting land for sale $376 dollars per acre

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
its easy to find on google maps or earth. its the parcel located at the NW corner of the intersection of ND Hwy #1 and County road 6 straight north of lakota. don't get me wrong... i would love to own it! but, i don't have 60k laying around and wouldn't get much use out of it at this point in life. great for a retired or semi retired fella. or someone with some cash to burn. but, really sweet if you lived and worked in the area and built on the farmstead. fritz, without reading, i assume its your typical wetlands easement that essentially says you can't do anything to the wetlands other than farm them on dry years. you can't drain, fill, develop, etc... i think that over the years those types of easements have come about a few different ways depending on what government agency the money was being funneled through. i have a similar one on my property.

upon further inspection, the farmstead appears to be in pretty good shape! maybe a better deal than i thought. even more jealous.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's cheap dirt.

Fixed it for ya.

- - - Updated - - -

Bottom line, there isn't a lot of dry ground here and the USFWS easements make this a cheap quarter of property to own. I've seen similar in other places that are priced similarly, but often the easements are not properly taken into account in the asking price. Arguably, they have been in this example.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious on why you wouldn't purchase land under perpetual easement with the USFW? Ive seen some 160 acre parcels that have a wetland easement but it only pertains to the wetland portion not the highland from my understanding (granted the land Im researching has an easement agreement that was drafted in the early 70's so its not very detailed).. Although there is some language that says the USFW has rights to controlling the hunting/fishing, etc.. But in all reality managing water i.e. drain waters during high years is the ultimate use on the land, so would you really need to worry about hunting rights?? Would suggest getting a lawyer involved with any acquisition but Im guessing the risk is still low..

This is why I would NEVER buy land with an water easement or other govt. easement. THEY, not you, control the land. That's the whole point to the easement and then sell scam. They previous owner gets the cash for entering into the contract and then a new buyer has to live with it. NOT ME BROTHER!!!!! I was in the CRP program and when you enter into a contract with the govt. there are almost always provisions in there for THEM to be able to change the terms of the contract, but NOT YOU. They tried to change my CRP contract on me midstream that would have almost doubled my weed control costs. Luckily I only had 2 years left in the contract and I ignored them. Then I got the "F" out of that BS and won't enter into any more dealings with them. 60K is a lot of money to in essence rent some land that you have to pay taxes on, take the risk for, but still have someone else decide for you what you can do with it. A lifetime is a long time normally and govt.'s change as do attitudes about land usage. Think about the transfer of public lands to states and so on. One swipe of the pen and your hunting paradise that you put thousands of dollars into and untold numbers of hours creating your "Happy Place" is now off limits to you because they decided to "Expand" the terms to include the entire parcel or now restrict hunting because hunting disturbs the non game species or some other such crap. If you want to take that chance, be my guest. However, keep in mind that it has taken me 17 years to get my deer hunting land to where I now have something that is doing what I want it to do. If I'm going to buy land, I will control every aspect of it's use.......PERIOD. I read EVERY WORD of a contract and to date, very few easements increase the value of the land. Most easements I've read benefit the ones wanting the easement and NOT the landowner. That's why I won't touch any land, regardless of price, that has a USFW, wetland, or similar perpetual easement.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, the auction bill says the old farmstead has good access to a camper or motor home. If a guy dug in some poles to build a roof over your camper for shade, you're probably going to get a visit from USFWS. I don't suppose anything permanent can be afixed to the land.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is why I would NEVER buy land with an water easement or other govt. easement. THEY, not you, control the land. That's the whole point to the easement and then sell scam. They previous owner gets the cash for entering into the contract and then a new buyer has to live with it. NOT ME BROTHER!!!!! I was in the CRP program and when you enter into a contract with the govt. there are almost always provisions in there for THEM to be able to change the terms of the contract, but NOT YOU. They tried to change my CRP contract on me midstream that would have almost doubled my weed control costs. Luckily I only had 2 years left in the contract and I ignored them. Then I got the "F" out of that BS and won't enter into any more dealings with them. 60K is a lot of money to in essence rent some land that you have to pay taxes on, take the risk for, but still have someone else decide for you what you can do with it. A lifetime is a long time normally and govt.'s change as do attitudes about land usage. Think about the transfer of public lands to states and so on. One swipe of the pen and your hunting paradise that you put thousands of dollars into and untold numbers of hours creating your "Happy Place" is now off limits to you because they decided to "Expand" the terms to include the entire parcel or now restrict hunting because hunting disturbs the non game species or some other such crap. If you want to take that chance, be my guest. However, keep in mind that it has taken me 17 years to get my deer hunting land to where I now have something that is doing what I want it to do. If I'm going to buy land, I will control every aspect of it's use.......PERIOD. I read EVERY WORD of a contract and to date, very few easements increase the value of the land. Most easements I've read benefit the ones wanting the easement and NOT the landowner. That's why I won't touch any land, regardless of price, that has a USFW, wetland, or similar perpetual easement.
I agree but it's getting harder and harder to find land including the mineral rights. Those should have never been allowed to be separated IMO but there's no putting that snake back in the can.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will admit there are some issues with land purchases, but I wouldn't buy land without ALL the rights. I'll keep my money and continue looking. You may have to pay more for a parcel, but it's worth it to me to have complete control over my land without the cloud of an easement or mineral rights hanging over my head. Trees take a loooooooong time to grow and I'll be jiggered if I'm going to plant'em, water'em, wrap them in wire to protect them, only to have some govt. lackey or previous azzhat owners kid roll in with a bulldozer and push'em down to make way for some gravel trucks. F THAT!!!!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
the property would be nice but unfortunately with the highway running up the entire east side you know the Ducks are going to get blasted off the water in short order. Then the fact that there are two roads one on the south side one on the east side means that the deer are never going to relax cuz they're always within sight of the roads. If it was more remote it would be awsome but as is its not such the great setup. If you can see all your property from Google Street view your not remote enough.

Screenshot_20170106-115015.jpg

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoa, I didn't realize it was right next to a paved highway on two sides. Thanks Dean.

Only place left to comfortably hunt would be the back 40.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
no just one side the other is a gravel road leading into the farmstead, the picture dean posted is the east side of the parcel Highway 1

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah like lunk mentioned the south one is gravel but is in fact a through street so traffic would be much higher then I would want for deer hunting. Now all that said that north point looks like it could be a kick ass place to sit in a lawn chair pass shoot ducks and geese with some friends.

20170106_140535.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had looked at it wrong before somehow. i think i was looking at the entire section or some damn thing. that SE 1/4 isn't nearly as enticing without that farmstead that is located in the SW 1/4

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I own some land that has a FWS easement. Wasn't me who signed the easement but am stuck with it. The only issue I have had with them is an argument over a drainage ditch. FWS does not like drainage ditches and I was able to win the argument because the ditch was on the original maps and you are allowed to maintain said ditches as long as you don't make them deeper. Didn't spend much money winning the argument, just some time finding the maps in the Soil Conservation Offices. Never have they told me I could not plant trees, or hunt or even had a problem of any crop planted (never tried cannibas). Loss of wetlands had been their only issue.

That said, buying hunting land is a huge gamble. Waterfowl aren't generally in the habit of spending a whole season on 1/4 of land, especially if they get shot at occasionally. A quarter of heavily forested land would hold a better number of deer, especially with some food plots than a 1/4 of prairie type land. Then again if the 1/4 is surrounded by some other good habitat that would add to the population in the overall area that could work out.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well a guy can turn small spots into consistently good ground if they are willing to spend a little and do it right. This spot is out in WA and the trick here is he plants a few acres of barley right up to the edge of the pond. The ducks move in knock it down and go bat shit crazy. This guy then brings his clients in they push the birds off and only shoot and the small groups and get in and out before most try to come back. It's a legal way around the baiting law and the spot has become very well known. Have always dreamed what it could be like if someone set up some flooded corn in the river bottomed around here....have zero doubt it would be epic!

Copy2of2012-1-21Paulspond001.jpg

PaulsPondJan262008004.jpg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah the original owner will benefit from the initial payment but the value of the land will go down by nearly the same amount. The next owner would have to pay more if there was no easement. A land buyer just needs to do their homework before buying a piece of land. If I had 60k laying around and the level was not close to two highways I would buy that land for my personal hunt club. I don't know if I could ever afford the typical farm land that I would want for hunting purposes.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member

Nor do you get the option to opt out of the contract if the govt makes changes.

Back when the USF&W under Loyd Jones was trying to implement their big prairie grasslands project of a few million acres, it took a bit but at one of their public meetings I got Loyd Jones to admit the govt maintains the right to change/restrict these easements ANY way they wish and the land owner has NO recourse.

Earlier in the presentation he had spoke to how many people in seed corn caps had been in the office wanting to sign land up trying to indicated it had support from ag producers. When I asked if these people were being told what had been drug out of him that he had admitted to he got real quiet and changed the subject.

When I pressured him his response was it was up to the person putting the land into the easement to understand the easement. ..........

How anyone thinks a perpetual easement with those kind of terms in is good is beyond me.

Stop and think what these govt orgs may be pressured or more likely sued to change 50 years down the road.

People that claim these type easements are great becasue they create habitat ect of sportsmen are pretty short sighted and don;t understand the facts of what is happening now with things like the Equal Justice Act when groups like the Center for Biological Diversity are using tax payer dollars to sue these agencies to change how they manage the lands and agreements.

Often time even if those within the agency itself disagree they have choice as a judge makes a ruling.

I would like to protect the future of hunting in a more responsible way that will not potentially lose the control of how these lands are managed to groups with agendas to end hunting.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nor do you get the option to opt out of the contract if the govt makes changes.

Back when the USF&W under Loyd Jones was trying to implement their big prairie grasslands project of a few million acres, it took a bit but at one of their public meetings I got Loyd Jones to admit the govt maintains the right to change/restrict these easements ANY way they wish and the land owner has NO recourse.

Earlier in the presentation he had spoke to how many people in seed corn caps had been in the office wanting to sign land up trying to indicated it had support from ag producers. When I asked if these people were being told what had been drug out of him that he had admitted to he got real quiet and changed the subject.

When I pressured him his response was it was up to the person putting the land into the easement to understand the easement. ..........

How anyone thinks a perpetual easement with those kind of terms in is good is beyond me.

Stop and think what these govt orgs may be pressured or more likely sued to change 50 years down the road.

People that claim these type easements are great becasue they create habitat ect of sportsmen are pretty short sighted and don;t understand the facts of what is happening now with things like the Equal Justice Act when groups like the Center for Biological Diversity are using tax payer dollars to sue these agencies to change how they manage the lands and agreements.

Often time even if those within the agency itself disagree they have choice as a judge makes a ruling.

I would like to protect the future of hunting in a more responsible way that will not potentially lose the control of how these lands are managed to groups with agendas to end hunting.

I have no problem with perpetual easements as it ensure long term habitat but I really don't think the government should be able to amend the contract without the landowners consent. I think the government is too powerful enough that they'd should not be able to change or restrict the easement on a will. Why don't our conservative reps push a reform of this practice so then maybe they could get more landowners to sign up?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my viewpoint MM, it's NOT about wildlife conservation, it's about controlling the land. If the govt. can get someone to pay all the taxes, pay the maintenance costs, pay the liabilities on a piece of land, take full responsibility for a piece of land and THEY still have control of it and decide how it's used.......Why would they want reform??? They control land they don't have to pay for. Wish I could find someone to do that for my land.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
THAT is it in a nut shell kdm.

And what NEEDS to be remembered is who the govt answers to because of these BS acts like the Equal Justice Act.

In another thread skibbys bottom spelled out as plain as day what fritz and I have been sharing for years. These groups sue these Federal agencies and under the rules imposed for other intents and purposes, these Federal agencies must comply with the law suit ruling.

Combine that with the FACT these orgs are placing their people within these Federal agencies under the governing of people like the last 8 years and it is a dangerous path that sportsmen really need to ask if they want to go down.

We will see if Trump is able to restructure these Federal agencies as he claims he wants to do. If he is unable to do so, my prediction is within 25 years you will see restrictions on hunting being put in place thru lawsuits on certain Federal public lands and even private lands the govt controls as a start to accomplish an agenda.

Don;t believe me, do a little research into the power and control the govt has over private lands simply thru a "critical habitat" designation under the Endangered Species Act.

Then remember they are attempting to list the moose as such here in ND.

Sportsmen really need to educate themselves to what is happening and why.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
THAT is it in a nut shell kdm.

And what NEEDS to be remembered is who the govt answers to because of these BS acts like the Equal Justice Act.

In another thread skibbys bottom spelled out as plain as day what fritz and I have been sharing for years. These groups sue these Federal agencies and under the rules imposed for other intents and purposes, these Federal agencies must comply with the law suit ruling.

Combine that with the FACT these orgs are placing their people within these Federal agencies under the governing of people like the last 8 years and it is a dangerous path that sportsmen really need to ask if they want to go down.

We will see if Trump is able to restructure these Federal agencies as he claims he wants to do. If he is unable to do so, my prediction is within 25 years you will see restrictions on hunting being put in place thru lawsuits on certain Federal public lands and even private lands the govt controls as a start to accomplish an agenda.

Don;t believe me, do a little research into the power and control the govt has over private lands simply thru a "critical habitat" designation under the Endangered Species Act.

Then remember they are attempting to list the moose as such here in ND.

Sportsmen really need to educate themselves to what is happening and why.

Whoa Whoa Whoa there GST. The "critical habitat designation" applies to only those activities funded or controlled by the federal govt. It doesn't apply to private activities not funded or controlled by the fed govt. If the govt. declares my land "critical habitat" for the gulf fritillary butterfly, that doesn't mean I can't do what I want on that land. If I don't use federal funds or cooperate with federal entities, I am free to do what I want with the land. If you believe me to be in error, please show me the documentation. Additionally, the sportsmen that don't own land can't be held accountable to educate themselves on these POS perpetual easements. We as landowners, need to be educated. We make the decisions on whether or not to sign the papers, not the sportsmen. Unfortunately it's the sportsmen who may ultimately pay the price down the road, but it's the landowners who hold the strings here. Not trying to pick a fight, but this is what I know to be the truth. If you know otherwise, please post it up as I'm very interested to know if I'm wrong.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM we have a couple endangered species of butterfly here in ND the Dakota Skipper and the Powesheik skipperling. There have been a couple meetings here in ND about the designation of these species and the acres involved in the critical habitat designation. One was held in Minot which I attended.

It was an informative meeting in which the Federal biologists with the USF&WS assured the attendees of the very things you mention to ease those concerns of the ranchers whose lands where under this critical habitat designation. Right up until a couple questions were asked.

1. What if I have easements with Federal agencies on my private lands.

2. What if one of my cows is determined to have been the cause of a "take" of one of these endangered species on private lands.

The answers provided by the Federal biologists at that meeting were roughly as follows.

1. Dependant on the determinations of what is necessary for the protection of these endangered species under a critical habitat designation, activites MAY be restricted if it is determined they may have been directly involved in a "take" of an endangered species.

2. Dependant on the determinations of what is necessary for the protection of these endangered species under a critical habitat designation activites MAY be restricted if it is determined they may have been directly involved in a "take" of an endangered species and the possibility of substantial fines does exist.

https://www.fws.gov/greatersagegrouse/factsheets/ESA Landowner Fact Sheet_080713.pdf

What are the impacts of a Federal
listing to private landowners and private
property?
The Endangered Species Act
(ESA) protects endangered and
threatened species and their
habitats by prohibiting the “take”
of listed animals and the interstate
or international trade in listed
plants and animals, including
their parts and products, except
under Federal permit. Such
permits generally are available for
conservation and scientific purposes.
In addition, section 7 of the ESA
requires that other Federal agencies
“consult” with the Fish and Wildlife
Service (FWS) to ensure that their
actions are not likely to jeopardize
the continued existence of a listed
species or adversely modify its
habitat. Thus, Federal agencies
must consult with the FWS about an
endangered or threatened species
for an activity that occurs on private
land where a Federal agency funds,
authorizes or carries out an activity.
Private landowners who rely on
Federal lands for activities such
as grazing, energy development or
recreation could also be affected.
What is “Take”?
The ESA makes it unlawful for
a person to take a listed animal
without a permit.
Take is defined
as “to harass, harm, pursue, hunt,
shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or
collect or attempt to engage in any
such conduct.” The take prohibition
encompasses significant habitat
modification or degradation that
results in the direct killing or injury
to listed animal species. Listed plants
are not protected from take, although
it is illegal to collect or maliciously
harm them on Federal land.
Protection from commercial trade
and the effects of Federal actions do
apply for plants. In addition, States
may have their own laws restricting
activity involving listed species

We are talking about the impacts these perpetual easements with Federal agencies within the govt have on the land owner correct?

Any lands with an easement with a Federal agency can indeed be impacted as what is allowed under that easement, which the govt retains the right to modify, under a critical habitat designation.

When asked to put it in simple terms the Federal biologist at that meeting said that if it was determined cattle grazing was directly involved in the "take" of one of these butterfly species on private lands, (significant habitat modification or degradation) activities that led to the "take" of an endangered species could be limited thru the courts EVEN ON PRIVATE LANDS WITH NO FEDERAL EASEMENTS.

Those in attendance were also told that a private land owner whose private lands fell under a critical habitat designations could not stop a Federal employee investigating a "take" of an endangered species from entering into their private lands.

kdm, remember the spotted owl?

http://www.americanbar.org/content/...rea_e_newsletter_home/realestate_ferrell.html

Logging on Private Land and the Endangered Species Act

By Jessica K. FerrellWhen clearing timber or developing their property, private landowners must comply with state forest practices laws and, if protected species or habitat are present, the federal Endangered Species Act (“ESA”). If a plaintiff can show that there is a reasonable likelihood of future habitat modification that is reasonably certain to injure the protected species by impairing their essential behavioral patterns, for example, he may be able to obtain a preliminary injunction under the ESA to stop logging.
Accordingly, the logging or developer client should be cognizant of multiple state and federal laws and regulations, including the ESA, and understand that even if regulatory bodies acquiesce or approve of the landowner’s plans, development and clearing practices could still be subject to a challenge and injunction.In the Pacific Northwest, for instance, courts have enjoined public and private land clearing to protect the Northern Spotted Owl (“spotted owl”). Most recently, a federal district court in Washington issued a preliminary injunction under the ESA barring the Weyerhaeuser Company from logging its own land in Southwest Washington. Seattle Audubon Society v. Sutherland, No. 06-1608, 2007 WL 2220256 (W.D. Wash. Aug. 1, 2007) appears to be thesecond ESA case to halt logging on private land on account of the spotted owl.[SUP]1 [/SUP]The lawsuit is part of a larger controversy regarding endangered species and forest practice regulation, involving federal and state regulators, the timber industry, private landowners, and conservation groups.

I believe there has been 34 cases where this has happened under the ESA.

Kdm what do you suppose the response would be to a sportsman pulling onto a logging companies office to ask permission to hunt when the logging company owner sees a Seattle Audubon Society sticker in his window?

Additionally IMO those sportsmen that are advocating for and supporting orgs that are pushing for further expansion of these critical habitat designations under the ESA are indeed accountable to learn what the impacts are of what they are supporting and advocating for.

If a sportsmen supports by giving monies to an org that pushes thru the courts to expand these endangered species listings and then says they can not figure out why land owners such as farmers and and ranchers are upset when they pull into their yard to seek permission to hunt with a Center for Biological Diversity or Save the Greater Sage Grouse sticker on their pickup how is that not THEIR responsibility?

The same can be said of those sportsmen that support those orgs pushing for the expansion and use of perpetual easements to control habitat given the facts of the correlating actions that this can lead to .

- - - Updated - - -
Pretty good information about how some groups use this Act and the courts to ultimately impact private land usage.

"Environmental groups supporting the current Endangered Species Act (ESA) do not view private property rights as one of their policy goals. Many of these groups support the current version of the ESA and its regulatory requirements concerning the protection of species' habitats on private land, such as the federal prohibition against modifying habitats and taking species."

https://ballotpedia.org/Private_property_and_the_Endangered_Species_Act

ESA and private property

Current endangered species policy widely prohibits human activity around a listed animal species, especially harmful contact. Federal law makes the taking of an animal species on the endangered or threatened species list illegal. The Fish and Wildlife Service defines "harm" to a listed species as "an act which actually kills or injures wildlife," as well as any significant modifications to a species' habitat. This second provision is relevant for private property use. Private landowners are prohibited from making significant modifications to their land if their proposed modification ends up changing a listed species' habitat. This prohibition can be extended to include private land that could
potentially house nearby populations of a listed species, even if the land is not currently inhabited by that species. Private landowners can face up to $25,000 in federal fines if they knowingly "take" a listed animal (taking also includes significant land modification on or near a listed species' habitat). Landowners can be fined up to $500 for each violation if they "take" a listed animal species unknowingly.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP]

Private landowners who wish to comply with the law, but still modify their land, must receive an "incidental take permit," which is a federal permit authorizing the incidental taking of a listed species, even if that species is potentially harmed. Before a permit is granted, property owners must submit a "habitat conservation plan," which must contain information on the relevant and predicted effects of the landowner's taking of an animal species, how those effects will be "minimized" and/or "mitigated," and how the plan will be financed. Landowners must also demonstrate that they have considered all possible protective actions for the listed animal species before deciding upon a final habitat conservation plan

- - - Updated - - -

Note the red statement in the above information.

Even if the species in not on land currently, if there exists a potential for them to be that land can fall under restriction limitations.

Hard to share factual info in a short summary. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93