I need some wood working ideas

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Winfield and Scroller. Have a lot of things to make and you can order patterns. Not very expensive.
Skull cap hanger has a hidden compartment in it. Have made several things for gifts. Radical arm saw, table router, sander and band saw. db

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good topic of conversation!! Me thinks today's high school education graduation class requirements should include, among others:
Carpentry
Plumbing
Electrical
Finance
Cooking
Small engines/vehicle basics
That is all. I was/am a dunce with some of these and would have benefited greatly if some these classes were REQUIRED versus some of the others that MOST ppl will never ever need in the future. IMHO. Pre you tube.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have almost every Popular mechanics magazines from the 40s- the 70s and there are some very cool old primitive woodworking projects in them. I was going to mention if you ever run across any. I just looked online for the heck of it and found a goldmine. As old as 1905 online for free with no downloads and searchable. just search for google books and once your in google books search for popular mechanics by year or by projects. This is one of the coolest finds ever. I'm posting a link to one I'm going to look at. I know you will find some cool woodworking ideas in these. Same for any other building , Boats, go carts , cars, airplanes, snow planes . You name it. In the paperbacks we have they were always predicting the future so back then , like now days, they knew the capabilities were there but just hadn't figured out how. The mad rush for patents and the next great invention.
Have fun reading, I know some of you will.

https://books.google.com/books?id=W...X3MTQIHT3TDHAQ6AF6BAgHEAI#v=onepage&q&f=false

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A easy project that will last a life time.
20200107_172149.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was relayed to be by a CDL reservist: The highest payday he received back in the day was from a delivery of glass female toys to Bloomingdale's in NYC...Lathe and a plastic dip...

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I made a few end tables and coffee tables, but I had no plans.
1000017457.jpg

My wife was looking for kitchen cabinets and I thought $20K woukd buy me a lot of tools. I should have kept my mouth shut it was three years after I retired. It would have gone faster if I had enough room to make more than one door at a time. Oak with no knots was $2.15 a board foot at Twin Inlets in Minnesota. I didn't have plans for these either and the second year I had to take one down to see hoe I made it. I spent as much time looking for my tools as working. I ended up with about three of each of the small tools.
1000017458.jpg
PG Very nice work! I like the lights above the cabinet doors.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good topic of conversation!! Me thinks today's high school education graduation class requirements should include, among others:
Carpentry
Plumbing
Electrical
Finance
Cooking
Small engines/vehicle basics
That is all. I was/am a dunce with some of these and would have benefited greatly if some these classes were REQUIRED versus some of the others that MOST ppl will never ever need in the future. IMHO. Pre you tube.
We had all but plumbing back in the day

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want decent prices on quality tools get a Rockler catalogue.
Lots of good stuff but dont get caught up in the marketing. Rockler has a ton of gimmicky crap too.
If you're looking for some more equipment Grizzly Tools is a good place to go. Cheaper than the big brands but still great quality. I own a woodshop at we beat the crap out of our grizzly planer and jointer and not single hiccup in the 7 years I've had them.

To your original question though, cutting boards, coasters, charcuterie boards are all good places to start too, but you'll need a few more tools.
IF you want to invest in a few things to get started here is what I'd do for now;
Miter Saw
Orbital Sander (Bosch makes a great affordable 5" ROS)
Circular Saw and a straight edge clamp
Handful of decent clamps
Good quality hand plane and sharpening stones.

Next step would be a benchtop planer, table saw and dust collector.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
These back scratchers are pretty easy to mass produce for Christmas presents. I made about 30 of them a few years ago to give to friends and family. Length is about 20" and made out of oak.
IMG_8613.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
These would make great stocking stuffers... I think they are fish wackers, to make them quit flopping around so much!

375106__9OwAuXXWXh3FqezL8O82_HFW.jpg
In the old days of F/S, O/L and S/A these could be called "priests". I prefer a longer/ heavier implement to smash skulls. "Priest" means administering Last Rites not the whole other deal which is open to sad ridicule: HA HA HA. :mad:

That is all.

Gus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a good place to buy/order some of the more exotic hardwoods to make cutting boards and such. (I realize this sounds very bad)

NIC

Vally Hardwood Supply in Dilworth. They have almost everything there.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a good place to buy/order some of the more exotic hardwoods to make cutting boards and such. (I realize this sounds very bad)
pretty sure there is a place in Fargo too. Don't remember what it is called, but next time I head that way I plan to buy some stuff so we can make some.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84