I need some wood working ideas

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am kind of new to wood working but would like to get more involved with it. I would like to make some things to give as Christmas gifts. It would be nice if people would post some pictures of things they have made and turned out nice. Obviously if its something You are making and selling commercially I wouldn't need to see your patterns and what not but if U wanted to share it that would be cool too. Anything made out of new wood, barn wood or pallet wood.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
catfish-rocker.jpg

I've been wanting to make something like this for awhile. Haven't decided what fish to do. Kids will probably be grown before I have time

NodakBob

Honored Member
Made several of the above keepsake boxes for my wife, kids and grandkids couple years ago for Christmas…little did I know at the time that we would use my wife’s for a funeral urn with my Dad’s ashes the following spring. Used old 1x6 fence boards, old hinges, and shed antler. I fit the top antler handle by using a belt sander to flatten the tips.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of woodworking tools do you have to use to make these projects? Because I can give you all kinds of ideas that are simple and easy to make since I once was a craft making machine many moons ago, my partner would bring them to craft shows 30 years ago, when at the time there was hardly no one making crafts like ours. Then after a decade or so everyone was making crafts deluding the craft show market. Unfortunately I don't have pics like I used to since the damn phone i have them on doesn't take a charge and i can't turn it on to transfer them to my computer. But I can give you the book titles of the books we used to come up with our ideas, because again it really comes down to the equipment you have to build these projects with. Oh and please be careful it can become addictive

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just have miter saw, no stuff to router or turning lathe. Right now just looking to make things you would hang on a wall, decorative shelves or small tables.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been thinking about something this as a coffee table. Maybe find some vintage fishing lures or something.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Woodworking Projects With A Few Basic Tools Amazon product
Guide to Basic Woodworking by James Summers Amazon product
There is others books also that i cant remember, but now there are Facebook groups that you can join that gives you step by step pic illustrations on how to build projects.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/TWWCommunity/
https://m.facebook.com/groups/372874787012016/
Epoxy resin is amazing, I like to watch YouTube shorts of projects using Epoxy.

Should pick up either a cheap scroll saw/jig saw, band saw
A router, palm sander, wood clamps, and pocket jig
Then work your way up from there everything can can be bought cheap menards or pawn shop. Again once you start it will become addictive, especially when people begin to enjoy your crafts.
Good luck

Last edited:

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Woodworking Projects With A Few Basic Tools Amazon product
Guide to Basic Woodworking by James Summers Amazon product
There is others books also that i cant remember, but now there are Facebook groups that you can join that gives you step by step pic illustrations on how to build projects.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/TWWCommunity/
https://m.facebook.com/groups/372874787012016/
Epoxy resin is amazing, I like to watch YouTube shorts of projects using Epoxy.

Should pick up either a cheap scroll saw/jig saw, band saw
A router, palm sander, wood clamps, and pocket jig
Then work your way up from there everything can can be bought cheap menards or pawn shop. Again once you start it will become addictive, especially when people begin to enjoy your crafts.
Good luck

Thanks

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a few end tables and coffee tables, but I had no plans.
1000017457.jpg

My wife was looking for kitchen cabinets and I thought $20K woukd buy me a lot of tools. I should have kept my mouth shut it was three years after I retired. It would have gone faster if I had enough room to make more than one door at a time. Oak with no knots was $2.15 a board foot at Twin Inlets in Minnesota. I didn't have plans for these either and the second year I had to take one down to see hoe I made it. I spent as much time looking for my tools as working. I ended up with about three of each of the small tools.
1000017458.jpg

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I made these beer caddies for some guys I coached with in youth wrestling. Filled with their beverage of choice. Names on one side, something likely to hear them shouting at kids during a match on the other.

Pretty simple project, but still took a guy like me some time to complete.🤣

Attachments

1000010317.jpg
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113