Internet Sales Tax

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess the thinking is the new tax will drive people back into the brick and mortar stores to shop, and will miraculously save main street America. So now ND will have a new stream of "revenue" with no idea or plan in place as to what to do with it. So be prepared for this new source of "revenue" to get pissed down the drain by bureaucrats who will line pockets. The taxman has come to the world wide interweb, and that is in no way a good thing for anyone.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think it's crap too. Good for the mom and pop stores? Depends upon who you talk to. I work for a small swimming pool supply store in Bismarck. Family owned. As "mom and pop" as you can possibly be. Second generation owner, etc. People buy aboveground swimming pools from Target, Lowes, Menards, Sam's and Walmart. Hard to compete against those big box stores. Then when they have problems, and need something, you can imagine the help they receive from the places they bought from.

Not a lot of swimming pools in ND, so a lot of our business is further south, or at least in bigger metro areas. This new tax issue is a major stumbling block. Further, the laws are currently unclear, so we have to "get ready for changes" but we don't know what those changes are going to be. Some pending legislation dictates that the tax may or may not apply, until you hit a certain (low) threshold of either shipment quantities or sales dollars.

So, my two cents is no thanks.

That, and the extra revenue apparently doesn't have a current home, so I can't imagine it getting put to a valuable use.

It would put the mom and pop shops on the same playing field as all other retail outfits. How can they compete with an automatic 5-6% cut off the pricing?

The business you describe. Are any of these people part of your target demographic. I don't think I could afford a permanent pool that I know would not get used once my kids got old enough. But can afford one at the fraction of the cost could discard once they were done using it. Instead of thinking these places stole your customers I would consider this a opportunity to service a new type of clientele.

Just my two cents worth

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
All the good little believers in our government system should bow and thank the man form looking out for us again. If not for them we would all parish.;:;bowdown;:;rofl

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously anyone that thinks the govt getting more money is a good thing is not smart. People are taxed to death and it's getting old. Has anyone ever looked at who gets giant sales tax breaks and what those are estimated at each year? Pretty crazy people are Ok with just another tax on the little guy, but never bitch about huge exemptions. It's funny the case that essentially got overturned (establishing nexus) was a ND case back in the day and now a SD case overturns it essentially.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahucker : what new type of clientele are you referring too? consider this a opportunity to service a new type of clientele. The guy that is going to purchase a pool from amazon - he already was paying tax. Mom-Pops now have to have the technology to deal with selling to other states --- have you ever looked at our laws -- how many cities have local tax, counties, lodging tax. Every time a ND small business sells within ND they have enough to do to figure out what taxes they should be charging the customer.

- - - Updated - - -

That ND case - had heidi Heitkamp all over it as tax commissioner. Now whats worse is your going to see case after case going to court -- then i suppose legislation will be passed federally and then it will really go south. Get ready to bend over.

Sales tax --- the first rate i remember was 3%. Now were at 7.5% in little minne. Un- Fcking - Believable. Look at the inflation factor. For something that cost $35.00 in 1980 - 3% tax was around a buck. That same item inflation indexed to today cost $110 - sales tax $8.25. 8X vs the item without tax only went a little over 3x. Its a Robbery.

eliminator

Honored Member
I agree with a lot of what has been said above. For me, When I buy online, it is either that it is not available around here or the locals have have their price so far out of line (high) that they priced me out of their business. If they were even close to the online price I would buy it here. And don't tell me they will price match----that irks me as they should have their best price in the first place and not have me doing their pricing for them. They have the same option as I do when it comes to checking the prices out. I realize they have to make a profit to stay in business but they don't have to make it all on one sale. The last thing I look at is whether I have to pay sales tax on the items. Sorry if it sounds like I don't like local businesses as I really do try to support them but there is a limit as to how much more I will pay for an item---it also costs me to go to shop and most online seem also offer free shipping----- I also do have a concern as to how our lawmakers will just have another pet project to use the money for.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
whats so damn dumb is if they so desperately need this sales tax money why the hell are we giving Montanan's a free lunch.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Doesn’t Cabelas and some other ls Already collect it?

Yep, it’ll us a bit more, but it’s only fair to the locally owned brick and mortar stores, who have to collect sales tax on everything whereas their line competition doesn’t!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over 10,000 jurisdictions levy sales taxes, each with “different tax rates, different rules governing tax-exempt goods and services, different product category definitions, and different standards for determining whether an out-of-state seller has a substantial presence” in the jurisdiction.”

A small business that does business in neighboring states --- all they can say is ick.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have the new taxes up and running in no time. We still don't know when medical marijuana will be available

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still will buy a lot online. Its not just the sales tax but so much of ND thinks we all work in the oil industry. I purchased a item online that was $3000 local and 2400 on line. I asked if they could get close I would buy local and pay my tax. Nope-price is what it is so I saved $600 plus the tax.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would put the mom and pop shops on the same playing field as all other retail outfits. How can they compete with an automatic 5-6% cut off the pricing?

The business you describe. Are any of these people part of your target demographic. I don't think I could afford a permanent pool that I know would not get used once my kids got old enough. But can afford one at the fraction of the cost could discard once they were done using it. Instead of thinking these places stole your customers I would consider this a opportunity to service a new type of clientele.

Just my two cents worth

I re-read what I'd written, and my tone wasn't accurate.

I guess my gripe is two-fold...

We in no way chase residential customers. We are a commercial swimming pool supply store. My customers are contractors who build Aquatic Centers, Colleges and Universities, Waterparks, YMCA's and JCC's... Also my customers are the people who run these type of institutions. Cities, towns, counties...

What Wally World does is sell an individual a $400 pool, that often falls apart after one season. Then the customer comes to me for parts for their throw-away equipment. I try, but can't help them, and now they think swimming pools are junk.

My point is, being in ND, a lot of my customers aren't located here. So now, suddenly, we are looking at having to charge tax everywhere we ship, according to the taxes at that destination. It's a nightmare. The customers don't want to pay it, we don't want to charge it, and the money is going no place good.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn’t Cabelas and some other ls Already collect it?

Yep, it’ll us a bit more, but it’s only fair to the locally owned brick and mortar stores, who have to collect sales tax on everything whereas their line competition doesn’t!

They only started charging once Bass Pro Shops purchased them because BPS owned land in ND, thus having nexus in the state.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
My point is, being in ND, a lot of my customers aren't located here. So now, suddenly, we are looking at having to charge tax everywhere we ship, according to the taxes at that destination. It's a nightmare.

Yup! ND is fairly easy to calculate the sales tax. However, a state such as Washington, you have to calculate the tax based on their damn street address, Not just the city or zip code - the damn street address.

Fortunately they provide an API to use for developers to tap into to calculate the tax. Now multiple this by the # of states and it gets to be a damn mess. I haven't looked to see if other states provide an api call like WA does. I'm sure I will have to.

There are programs out there that are supposed to have all the tax collection rules in them but then that is an added cost to the company - and it won't be a one time cost either.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey now, I said we'd dole it out fairly

You yourself speak of Little Minneapolis, with derision.

Personally, I have no problem with flood control. I kinda view Garrison Dam as a big old flood controller.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup! ND is fairly easy to calculate the sales tax. However, a state such as Washington, you have to calculate the tax based on their damn street address, Not just the city or zip code - the damn street address.

Fortunately they provide an API to use for developers to tap into to calculate the tax. Now multiple this by the # of states and it gets to be a damn mess. I haven't looked to see if other states provide an api call like WA does. I'm sure I will have to.

There are programs out there that are supposed to have all the tax collection rules in them but then that is an added cost to the company - and it won't be a one time cost either.

We have already spent the money on the programs. They help, but the tax rules aren't fully formed yet, so this is all in limbo. Yet we are to be held accountable for mistakes or oversights.

Regarding collecting, try shipping to New York State. Ick.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member

What use the ND website to lookup per zip code -- thats a slow process. Sales tax and income taxes - both have became so cumbersome --- its not the tax its the hassle due to all the various rules. Its all ANTI SMALL BUSINESS. Add to that all the dept of labor rules and the requirements of employer to make collections of child support, debt payments on the parts of employees in addition to taxes. Its all ANTI SMALL BUSINESS.

Then when NEXUS is brought up --- store front meant that you reported income for income tax purposes in that particular state that your store is in. The example given - Tracker Boating center - it reports parts, boats etc sold in ND. Does it now have to report online sales to you of tackle from cabelas or bass pro shops for income tax purposes.

You can see what this new law now paints grey. Lawyers guns and money.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The city of Minot is a spend more then we have now and worry about coming up with the money to pay the bills later, that it getting very sickening and scary to think what property taxes are going to be upped to. Our new mayor has already said he is going to request more sales tax in Minot so they can spend more sill.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88