Ion 40v

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Hey guys, got a brand new ion last season and was awesome with the 8" with knife blades. Was thinking great love it, drill 35 ish holes the first day on one battery. We ended up getting a permanent house and was thinking ion will work great, lets get a 10" with the chipper blades. I have to lay on the thing to cut a couple holes and then battery is dead. Went and bought a new battery same thing, maybe 5-6 holes and thing really doesn't cut very good. I did buy the 10" flight used, guy said he only drilled 10-12 holes with it. Think I should get new blades or is the 40v not cut out for the BIG 10"!!!! Any one else try switching between 8 and 10"?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know they made chipper blades for an ion.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like bad blades or it's bent

ardee

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using my ion auger much as you described for going on 5 years now and love it. I use the 8 inch for run and gun and switch to the 10 inch in the castle, still on the original battery. For sure the 10 inch uses up battery much quicker than the 8 inch but it is moving over twice the ice in each hole. as for cutting I have had no trouble with either auger. I can cut at least 16 to 20 10 inch holes between charges with no problem. the chipper blade cuts through with minimal pressure both cutting new holes as well as re-opening old froze over holes. I would guess that your bit has probably been run either in dirty ice or "grounded out" in shallow water. New chippers or having the old ones sharpened should fix your problem. (I did both on my old jiffy and kept the old ones for spares) Also it is best to recharge the battery at the end of the day if it has been run down or not. I keep a charger in the fish house and recharge after opening the holes in the morning so that I have the benefit of a full charge if I want to go hunting later in the day as well. Good luck and I hope this helps.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of mine just got a brand new 10in for his and worked just fine cutting wise. We have only drilled 10 holes in 2 day total in the cold weather 12in of ice.
I was really fighting my Jiffy last year early on and found out that my newer blades had been dinged and dulled which I couldn't believe at first till I saw a buddy of mine using it this year in just 8in of ice and was banging it up and down so I think I know what happened to last years blades. He will not be using my auger anymore.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a 8 inch for two years now. was pretty happy with it at first but realized if its really cold out the battery doesn't have the snort it should, so I try to keep it warm in the pickup of fish house. as for the blades:i just put a new set on sunday and couldent drill one inch of ice Monday morning. I said to hell with it and went home, did some googling and found this.
https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/ion-auger-problems/

I guess, really, I am fairly happy with it, I probably bent something reopening a hole and am gonna have to buy a new bit ( the x-bit is supposed to be a better design anyway).and as others said charge it every night after I use, and I always have, but... I also think my battery should last longer than it does

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blades are dull or broken. Replace the blades and if that does work call ion. I had bad fighting from the factory and they swapped it out for free. My bet is the blades are bad though.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend of mine just got a brand new 10in for his and worked just fine cutting wise. We have only drilled 10 holes in 2 day total in the cold weather 12in of ice.
I was really fighting my Jiffy last year early on and found out that my newer blades had been dinged and dulled which I couldn't believe at first till I saw a buddy of mine using it this year in just 8in of ice and was banging it up and down so I think I know what happened to last years blades. He will not be using my auger anymore.​

Friend abuse. Been there. Had a dude totally skew my old auger from the senseless banging on ice.

Max

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Ion 40v couple of years ago and has been working good until yesterday. The problem is when putting some pressure down while drilling it stops, but soon as I don't put pressure on the auger it starts drilling and doesn't cut the ice. The blades feel sharp and maybe there not sharp enough to drill through the ice. One other problem my auger got dropped and now it doesn't turn on. Any thoughts to these problems.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
OOOPS, I edited it. I don't want to offend anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I do charge the batteries after every use, I am going to try the 8" this weekend and see if its back to normal. If it works ill try new blades on the 10". If that does not work ill call ION! Thanks for the info boys!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As with most batterys run them dead before recharging or they will get a short life memory on power.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
As with most batterys run them dead before recharging or they will get a short life memory on power.
I don't think Lithium Ions have the same memory issues. I believe they are better served with partial discharges with maybe the occasional full discharge. Always fully running them dead will reduce lifespan.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wade at Dakota Tackle did not recommend 10" for the Ions . Battery just can't hold up. Had a lot traded in. I value his opinion, deals with lots of people.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have the original ion, like it but not a fan of the shaving blades. Dirty ice and your replacing. If I was doing it again, i would lean towards the 50v strikemaster with chipper blade. Is K drill setup out of the question?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31