Is backtrolling a lost art?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Is backtrolling a lost art or do some of you still backtroll at times when working tight structure? If the waves, the wind and the structure are right and your electric motor doesn't provide the control you want? I have terrible luck trying to control my boat in reverse. I'm guessing more older guys backtroll than younger guys but it's rare I see anyone backtolling anymore.

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was practical like 20 yes ago. :;:muahaha

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That went away with the invention of the electric trolling motor. It had to be done because the boat went slower with the gas motor.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW we are all dating ourselves. All the young kids are going WTF is backtrolling?

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am 20 years old and prefer backtrolling to any other method of trolling...instant turns and can dial in the right speeds easier. Backtrolling isn't a dying art, people just don't know what's good for them. :cool:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In high wind or big waves I will use my kicker to backtroll as the transom responds very slowly to wind and waves. Unlike the bow that can get thrown rapidly from one side to the other forcing me to be "johnny on the spot" with the trolling motor. I will also backtroll when I have 3 or more anglers as the middle angler gets stuck fishing over the motor unless he picks one side or the other while going forword, which leads to more tangles. It's much easier to keep the lines cleared and to deal with hooked fish if the motor is out of the equation.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it is because back in the day most everyone had tiller boats. Now most everyone has bigger boats with windshields. The bigger steering wheel boats sit lower in the water in the back making it pretty hard to back troll in any wind. I used to run tiller boats but when I had kids I went to a windshield boat. I do miss the precision you get when back trolling a tiller boat.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am 20 years old and prefer backtrolling to any other method of trolling...instant turns and can dial in the right speeds easier. Backtrolling isn't a dying art, people just don't know what's good for them. :cool:

Welcome to NDA CAH! Thanks for the input. I don't see the back-trolling too often, and when I try it I cant control the dang thing. Is it best with a tiller setup?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Works best with tiller but I can backtroll my 16' Lund with a wheel pretty good too, I've never had a till that would stay in one spot when I dropped the handle.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Backtrolling is a big tool in fishing. When the winds is blowing and the transom mount is being a pain it does work well practice makes perfect. Last year on the lake had a great time sliding back and forth on i phone 027.jpga 8ft ledge over 20 ft of water.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I loved my tiller when I had one. However, switched to a wheel boat and I don't think I could ever go back to a tiller. Liked fishing out of it better but a wheel boat is better in far more situations for me.

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think you could backtroll with a lot of the new low profile transum boats running around out there. A 2 foot chop would swamp a guy! I run a 215 triton and would get awfull wet going backwards. When it gets rough I like to put my kicker in gear and use the trolling motor to help pull and stear. Boats are made to go forward anyways! :cool:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I ever decide to pull the trigger on some wave wackers, I'll backtroll more. If the wind is right, my dad and I have used his boat with a drift sock off the bow.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I don't think you could backtroll with a lot of the new low profile transum boats running around out there. A 2 foot chop would swamp a guy! I run a 215 triton and would get awfull wet going backwards. When it gets rough I like to put my kicker in gear and use the trolling motor to help pull and stear. Boats are made to go forward anyways! :cool:

:;:exactlyhow I roll as well

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a 3000 dollar kicker a 2000 trolling motor with gps that holds lines locks to spots etc. i don't need to backtroll anymore, though if i had a 16ft mr pike and a 40 lb trolling motor, I'd be backtrolling still.

vikingsfan97

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is backtrolling a lost art or do some of you still backtroll at times when working tight structure? If the waves, the wind and the structure are right and your electric motor doesn't provide the control you want? I have terrible luck trying to control my boat in reverse. I'm guessing more older guys backtroll than younger guys but it's rare I see anyone backtolling anymore.
This is the way my grandpa taught me i'm only 18 and this is the only way i troll. He says it keeps the lines away from the motor and i feel it works a lot better.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a alot of guys grandpas taught them to backtroll and there is nothing wrong with backtrolling, though when a 1980's 90 horse evinrude backtrolls over fish sitting in 2-6feet of water ;:;banghead, but in the end it is just fishing who really cares that much. i usually have a bunch of kids with me now so i'm not the dickhead i might have been 7-8 years ago.

eyecatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
If my wife would let me spend the money on a vantage and wave wackers, I would backtroll more. My last boat had a lot of the bow sticking out of the water acting like a parachute. My new boat sits in the water a lot more making it a lot easier to run the bow mount in wind and waves. Still want the vantage though.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My main OB is steered with a wheel but my kicker is tiller controlled. If the chop gets heavy, my Yamaha T8 will turn sharp enough to keep the bow into the waves. It will also run slow enough I can creep forward into the wind. It's great for backtrolling when conditions don't make that uncomfortable.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite way to fish is to back troll but only having a little boat makes it tough on windy days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77