Labrador no longer America's favorite pooch

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats deceiving, they are counting the number of dogs REGISTERED with AKC. Id bet the number of labs or majority lab crosses bought or adopted eclipses the number of Frenchies by an order of magnitude...

HUNTFISHND

Founding Member
Founding Member
labs are still my favorite dog.
100% with you on that one. I don't see myself ever owning anything but a lab. Would consider a shorthair, but holy hell the ones I've seen have so much energy. I like that if I just want to sit on the deck or around a fire, that my lab will just lay at my feet and be completely content with that.

Bobkat

Established Member
I love labs! My only hang up at me age, travelling a lot in retirement, etc. and hunting less waterfowl is like all things now, downsizing! I love my 32 pound lab! Actually an English Cocker, similar to a Boykin or Am water spaniel, etc. all great dogs.
I suppose the trend towards all the variations of “ doodle dogs” and Australian sheps is probably a temporary fad. Most of us here want some kind of family member mutt and working dog, not like the French bulldog that supposedly has number one spot. They are probably good pet/family dogs but nothing I’d want to pub le as a part time hunter. They are friendly enough little dogs but bark tooo much in my opinion….

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it just me, or are labs the most broadly distributed when it comes to smarts/behavior.
I'm shocked how greatly that vary - some are smart lean well-behaved SuperDogs - while many others are the fattest, stupidest "eat the propane regulator off the wall" buffoons on the animal planet.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first dog was a shorthair/blue heeler cross. That dog was awesome and at that time I was young enough to keep up with the energy. Second dog was a lab/golden retriever. One of the best all around dogs and companion I've seen . Then I got two Beagles and they ruined my love for having pets. Two of the dumbest animals on this planet. After these two morons are gone, I am done with pets.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My GSP is wicked smart, but needs so much exercise its exhausting. My labs over the years were much easier.

Seems grown men nowadays have little yippie dogs, like women used to...haha gay.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it just me, or are labs the most broadly distributed when it comes to smarts/behavior.
I'm shocked how greatly that vary - some are smart lean well-behaved SuperDogs - while many others are the fattest, stupidest "eat the propane regulator off the wall" buffoons on the animal planet.
And that is the AKC at work with the show line big fat short legged dogs that could not retrieve a bird in two inches of water with out taking a break. Along with people who have no clue and use facebook as their training guide.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had two labs and neither were papered. I didn’t see the need unless I was into offspring, which isn’t what I was looking to do.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had two labs and neither were papered. I didn’t see the need unless I was into offspring, which isn’t what I was looking to do.
Akc dont really mean much but any breeder worth a shit is still going to have akc and or ukc registration along with ofa and all genetic testing done. the back yard breeders just contribute to the continuance of diseases like eic, bad hips and hearts. I got lucky with my last yellow dog his brother had eic and didnt get to hunt a day in his life lucky we drew the genetic long straw. I didnt know any better then but watching a dog flop around and have a grand mal seizure will make you learn.

Bobkat

Established Member
Lycan is correct in that the popularity numbers must only reflect AKC registrations. I too am amazed that the French bulldogs are number one over so many other dogs. I frequent a lot of dog places yet see a relatively few Frenchies compared to labs, Golden’s, various pointers and purebred mongrels, etc. until fairly recentlyI didn’t know,the difference between an English or French bulldog. Like electric cars and trucks - these dogs might be OK for some but not for me!

Kurt, you must to be a darned good and respected Lab trainer, but I caution you NOT to run an English bulldog, or even a French bulldog against even the poorest lab! Why? Simply because bulldogs have a body specific gravity of over 1.0 and tossed into the water they simply sink! The only dog that can’t swim, too heavy compared to their buoyancy! LOL. Run a Bulldog vs a Lab in a water trial and I’ll sure put a lot of money on who wins or even survives! Even if the bulldog had a good water dog trainer like Kurt! LOL
That said, I actually did see an English bulldog swim out from shore about 5 feet and make it back to shore without the doggie life jacket most of them wear when they get near the water. It’s “Plimsol Line” must have been about the same height as his ear lobes!
Don’t want to offend any bulldog owners. Probably nice enough little lap dog/pets but most popular/common dog in USA? I find this hard to believe. Anyone care to lay bets on next years winner?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan is correct in that the popularity numbers must only reflect AKC registrations. I too am amazed that the French bulldogs are number one over so many other dogs. I frequent a lot of dog places yet see a relatively few Frenchies compared to labs, Golden’s, various pointers and purebred mongrels, etc. until fairly recentlyI didn’t know,the difference between an English or French bulldog. Like electric cars and trucks - these dogs might be OK for some but not for me!

Kurt, you must to be a darned good and respected Lab trainer, but I caution you NOT to run an English bulldog, or even a French bulldog against even the poorest lab! Why? Simply because bulldogs have a body specific gravity of over 1.0 and tossed into the water they simply sink! The only dog that can’t swim, too heavy compared to their buoyancy! LOL. Run a Bulldog vs a Lab in a water trial and I’ll sure put a lot of money on who wins or even survives! Even if the bulldog had a good water dog trainer like Kurt! LOL
That said, I actually did see an English bulldog swim out from shore about 5 feet and make it back to shore without the doggie life jacket most of them wear when they get near the water. It’s “Plimsol Line” must have been about the same height as his ear lobes!
Don’t want to offend any bulldog owners. Probably nice enough little lap dog/pets but most popular/common dog in USA? I find this hard to believe. Anyone care to lay bets on next years winner?
I think boxers are the same had one jump off a guys pontoon and just sank we had to dive in and save it. Craziest thing I have ever seen.

As for trainer I’m just a beginner who has got to learn from a lot of great people. Even though the pros are competitive they are willing to help anyone who asks questions. If I was 20 years younger I would have a whole different career path.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mostly due to the owners 'smarts/behavior'. MHO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74