Lake sakakawea water levels

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peck openened up a little more yesterday and that's probably only the start. Peck is managed for natural reproduction so the levels are on a schedule. There is so much water up there even a high water year for Peck isn't going to slow things up downstream. Higher levels are better for the fish and that's always more important than what's easiest for the angler.
Yeah peck is forecast to get up into her exclusive flood pool here in a few days so they will have to crank her up. The forecast I saw had 5 feet of raise in Sak and this wasn't a long-term forecast this was just a couple weeks ahead so she's going to go up quite a ways. Looks like Oahu is going to be the benefactor in a lot of this because she's the one that's got the most room. Mind you we are already high in Bismarck and also don't forget the record releases out of Lake Sakakawea other than 2011 was the 50,000 in 1997 and we are already floating pretty close to that. Now hopefully we don't get 10 inches of rain or we're going to be back in 2011 real quick and we have 2 inches forecast between now a Wednesday the way it is.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
core guys that were in Williston a couple days ago said it's going up 3' in the next week.

eliminator

Honored Member
They were still pumping into Audubon today yet. I would be surprised if they stop the water output at garrison dam at 50000. Like Dean said they are one big rainstorm away from 2011 again.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the verge of flooding yet the second year of the driest springs I ever remember. I know it’s not related, just ironic. I guess if it doesn’t rain soon I can park the tractor and mower for the year.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The core learned very little from 2011 they are still leaving goinging into the winter month with to much water in the lake

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disagree.
Do some research on how many times the lake has risen 15' or more. If fishing is the primary reason for the dam then I agree with you but if flood control is what it was designed for that is what it should be managed for

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.usbr.gov/power/legislation/fldcntra.pdf

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do some research on how many times the lake has risen 15' or more. If fishing is the primary reason for the dam then I agree with you but if flood control is what it was designed for that is what it should be managed for

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.usbr.gov/power/legislation/fldcntra.pdf

It was built for catastrophic flood control. The cart didn’t follow the horse after the damn was built. They should have kept people from building homes as close to the river as they did. Now they’re trying to stop the inevitable. May not happen in our life times, but at some point, Mother Nature will show us what she thinks of our damns.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s your defention of flood control? I’d say 1 flood in 65 years that didn’t break the top 20 record crest is pretty f’n good. Also your 15’ claim is meaningless without water volume, takes much less to raise 15’ at lower levels.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/crests.php?wfo=bis&gage=biwn8&crest_type=historic

any crest prior to 1953 should be in a different category as they were all prior to the dam. Also your claim of crest is meaningless when the lake is low and can tolerate above average runoff

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were still pumping into Audubon today yet. I would be surprised if they stop the water output at garrison dam at 50000. Like Dean said they are one big rainstorm away from 2011 again.

Now now, let's not get carried away.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
The corp changed the "master manual " in 06 and 5 years later we had the 2011 flood and have had at least 4 years out of 12 that have made your top 50 list ( not sure how up to date your list is )

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not even close to having alot of water down here as compared to 11.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The core learned very little from 2011 they are still leaving goinging into the winter month with to much water in the lake
I would like to point out exhibit A. the fact that thre were basically no sand bars all of last summer because they were blowing water through that damn balls to the wall all summer.

Exhibit B. The fact that they cranked up the dam balls to the walls this year as soon as they possibly could.

The simple fact is once the river starts to freeze, has froze or has just unfroze the corp gets constrained on how much water they can throw through her because if they put too much water through her at that point in time you can end up with a 2009 situation where you get big giant chunks of ice all piled up somewhere and everybody who doesn't know shit about the river starts complaining that the corp is putting too much water through the dam. Those guys end up walking a tightrope between one extreme in the other and it's always entertaining that a lot of times it's the same people on both damn sides complaining about both damn things. One day they're complaining that the lake is too low and they're not getting the fish they want and the next day they're complaining that the corp is filled the damn up too high and now they have to let all the water out and now their house is flooding. If they ran the lake as low as people like you would like to see it apparently we would be riding the razor's edge of killing off the Fishery pretty much 2 or 3 times a decade cuz that would just lead to drops inevitably every few years that would push the Lakes level below the critical level needed to support the bait fish.

And in the end let's be realistic here have you drove and paid attention to Bismarck Dyke system because that tells a person more than anything! When the levees in your city are so God damn small that you cant actually tell your on one that's a sign the worst the corp has done in damn near 70 years wasn't very bad actually. I mean seriously would anybody in Fargo or Grand Forks look at this and and even recognize it as a river Levee because they have real levies where we have these little baby mounds of dirt that you could damn near build with a shovel and they are built higher higher than the 2011 flood.

dsc01868.jpg

Last edited:

limit2winit

Established Member
i don't forsee us flooding, but they better kick er up a notch. looking at the forecast, there will be almost twice as much water coming in as there is going out.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was built for catastrophic flood control. The cart didn’t follow the horse after the damn was built. They should have kept people from building homes as close to the river as they did. Now they’re trying to stop the inevitable. May not happen in our life times, but at some point, Mother Nature will show us what she thinks of our damns.
The interesting thing is save for Southport Bismarck put more of a buffer zone between itself and the river then any other city in the state. Think about it most of the area near the river is made up of buffer zone comprising Seroma Park, Riverwood Golf Course, horse arena/bow range and the wastewater treatment plant. there's almost nowhere the main part of the city comes up right next to the river. Now the people up on Hog Island and that general area down around Briardale are definitely risky areas but overall both Bismarck and Mandan have either the distance between themselves in the river or as in mainly in Mandans case the elevation above it to give plenty of room for high water. Over all they've done a pretty good job of keeping most shit out of the flood zone barring a catastrophic dam failure.

Screenshot_20180526-104237.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
There will be 125k going into the big lake within the week and they still have around 40K going out, things will get interesting...

flow.jpg

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it that's a guess or is there some entity putting it out? Number is 87,000 for two days based on the numbers put out. And only a week above 80. Now by my quick math the 87 seems low but not 30,000 cfs low.

Last edited:

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean, my guess is 5575 must be referring to combined inflow of yellowstone, missouri and little mo. But that is an assumption as I dont see the little mo or mo graphs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 24
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7