Lake Winnipeg Update 2017

iceeyes

Had an amazing trip. Once we found the mud edges the big fish were following. 14 feet of water and less. We ended the trip with 26 walleyes over 23 inches. Had about 7 or 8 more big ones come off below the ice with out being seen. The top 5 big fish in the trip were 30.5,30,29.5,29.25, and a 28.5. Already dreaming for next year.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing to consider is, we had good luck last year starting at dawn in shallow water near the mouth. As the morning went on we just gradually worked our way out to 17+ foot. Honestly our biggest fish came shallow first light and last, but two years ago we did really good mid day out deeper. I have no idea if the depth really mattered or if we just got lucky running into pods of fish.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do find myself wondering what the early crest on the Red will do for both the ice near the mouth as well as triggering a push up river for the fish...? It could be a really good thing for fishing but won't do much good if we can't fish near the mouth maybe...

I guess there may be effects from dirty water too.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had an amazing trip. Once we found the mud edges the big fish were following. 14 feet of water and less. We ended the trip with 26 walleyes over 23 inches. Had about 7 or 8 more big ones come off below the ice with out being seen. The top 5 big fish in the trip were 30.5,30,29.5,29.25, and a 28.5. Already dreaming for next year.

Any weights?

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you did a fantastic job! Just curious if the fish weigh up like they used to. Thanks.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumper baits are a good bet as well....

walleye jig.jpg

iceeyes

The weights were just healthy. I've caught 2 30 inch fish that surpassed 13lbs in the years past but the 30.5 was 10.7. The other were just kinda what they would be on a measurement to weight ratio. We did have one super fatty 27.5 9.8lber. That was a freaky fat fish. Id throw a bunch of pics on but I don't want to do 25 separate posts haha

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Sounds like the Rd is surging into there now, or i the next few days. I wonder what that will do for fishing, ice, etc ...
Going to dirty things up.
Stay away from the area at the mouth I'm sure.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping it's a positive but yeah, hard to say. It's gotta help move fish in....whether it gets real muddy or if that will even effect fishing is hard to say. I've never been up there on a year when the water comes up early.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last year we went mid March and the water was super dirty out to about 16-17 fow under ice. We marked very few fish in the dirty water. Ended up fishing in 20-23 fow under ice the last 2.5 days, not even messing around in the dirty water.
Our 2nd trip this year is for the end of March, I am sure by that time the water will be pea soup again and we will be out deep.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Last year we went mid March and the water was super dirty out to about 16-17 fow under ice. We marked very few fish in the dirty water. Ended up fishing in 20-23 fow under ice the last 2.5 days, not even messing around in the dirty water.
Our 2nd trip this year is for the end of March, I am sure by that time the water will be pea soup again and we will be out deep.

Good info. I've been seeing the better reports coming from 17-22 fow.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Once the water at the mouth dirties up, do any of you guys fish further north along the shorelines to stay shallow?

Has anybody ever fished Traverse Bay?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33