Leasing Land to Hunt- Is it becoming the new normal?

Will you lease land to hunt, today or in the future?

• Yes, I already do.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Yes, I would and would pay whatever needed.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Yes, I would but only for a reasonable cost.

Votes: 20 17.4%
  • No, I'll hunt public lands or keep looking for access.

Votes: 73 63.5%
  • No, I'll give up hunting

Votes: 19 16.5%

• Total voters

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is too bad that hunting has become such a $$$ game on all fronts. My family owns plenty of land that is game rich, if taken care of. In my point of view we do not ask for money or normally expect help, we have been there and done that and got burned by a couple people. Right now we have a few friends that have access to hunt and will continue as long as they keep doing a good job with what they are doing, next year we will be doing some revamping to improve a few things

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found my stress level drastically reduced by less waterfowl hunting and more time big game hunting big chunks of public land. I'm too old for the waterfowl shit show anymore.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
I voted for the option that I would lease for a reasonable price. While I have never even attempted to lease any land, or needed to, it is a fairly common thing in my home state of OK. And its pretty much a way of life in TX. Luckily, there is a ton of public land in OK and high deer numbers so I never felt that a lease was the only way to go. When I moved to ND, I was surprised how little public land there was (not counting PLOTS land) and that there was very little leasing. It's coming though. It's just a matter of time.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're all partially to blame. The amount of content available today (tv, streaming, DVD, twitter, Facebook, instagram, etc) totally immersed younger generations into wanting to be like the guys that they see each day. They see the big deer getting mg taken off leased land with the best equipment and they think they need to have it. My friends in Aberdeen went in on a quarter so they can bowhunt. It seems to be the norm there and it'll soon be the norm here. I'm lucky enough to have family land but its shit for hunting. Now my father in laws land, great pheasant habitat. After deer hunting this year, I'm going to start putting in for the badlands. The only unfortunate part is that now I won't have an excuse every year as to why I need three weekends to myself every November.

With that said, if I had the funds, I'd lease. I don't, so I'll get a bigger boat and show walleyes who's boss.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're all partially to blame. The amount of content available today (tv, streaming, DVD, twitter, Facebook, instagram, etc) totally immersed younger generations into wanting to be like the guys that they see each day. They see the big deer getting mg taken off leased land with the best equipment and they think they need to have it. My friends in Aberdeen went in on a quarter so they can bowhunt. It seems to be the norm there and it'll soon be the norm here. I'm lucky enough to have family land but its shit for hunting. Now my father in laws land, great pheasant habitat. After deer hunting this year, I'm going to start putting in for the badlands. The only unfortunate part is that now I won't have an excuse every year as to why I need three weekends to myself every November.

With that said, if I had the funds, I'd lease. I don't, so I'll get a bigger boat and show walleyes who's boss.

I wont lease land down here we have so much public ground you cant cover it in a year. Plus i dont think i would ever pay anything to hunt whitetail deer. Now out west a horse hunt way up high for mule deer or elk is something i hope to do in the next few years. I dont look at it as paying for land access it is more they have horses and a camp set up and know the area and animals. I am not going to lie i have kinda lost the desire i used to have for hunting whitetails. If i didnt have a wife and kid pretty sure after this last falls experience i would have packed up shop and moved out west.

Still_Learnin'

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest, if I'm going to drop some money on a place to hunt, I'd rather pony up the money to go hunt for a trophy with some outfitter somewhere. Definitely cheaper in the long run.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wont lease land down here we have so much public ground you cant cover it in a year. Plus i dont think i would ever pay anything to hunt whitetail deer. Now out west a horse hunt way up high for mule deer or elk is something i hope to do in the next few years. I dont look at it as paying for land access it is more they have horses and a camp set up and know the area and animals. I am not going to lie i have kinda lost the desire i used to have for hunting whitetails. If i didnt have a wife and kid pretty sure after this last falls experience i would have packed up shop and moved out west.

But the thing is that whitetails are what most hunters start out with. The root of this whole conversation goes back to, if folks, especially kids, dont have reasonable access to hunting....will they even take up the sport. And if they dont take it up, will they still own multiple firearms. If they dont own firearms, who stands up for the 2nd amendment? Who stands up against animal rights activists. No access, means the death of a way of life and culture shift in this country. Call me crazy, but thats what I see as the consequences of no access. Instead of kids out hunting and learning and conserving and protecting gun rights and hunting, they will all end up down at standing rock.

Scary.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr I am lucky enough to have a son in Montana with horses and all the gear. I wish North Dakota had more public land. I think we are about the lowest in the nation. Well, lowest west of the Mississippi. I don't know much about those eastern states. I'll throw in a map of gov public land. The only mistake I see is they count reservations in North Dakota and South Dakota as public land. There is also much state owned public land in some states.
Now I understand why the hunters in Texas are screwed.
th[6].jpg

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
To be honest, if I'm going to drop some money on a place to hunt, I'd rather pony up the money to go hunt for a trophy with some outfitter somewhere. Definitely cheaper in the long run.

This is exactly my thoughts too. At $1500/acre for the hunting land 160 acres comes out to be $240,000 plus you have loan interest on top of that going to the bank. I think if a guy was disciplined enough and make those payments to themselves for a year, every year after would be able to go on a couple hunts every year. I also get that having your own land were you can just got spend all your time has some allure to it also. When hunting access becomes unavailable of to expensive I will just fish more.

- - - Updated - - -

What town/city out west. This has crossed my mind a few different times to move out somewhere were I can hunt elk every year.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
But the thing is that whitetails are what most hunters start out with. The root of this whole conversation goes back to, if folks, especially kids, dont have reasonable access to hunting....will they even take up the sport. And if they dont take it up, will they still own multiple firearms. If they dont own firearms, who stands up for the 2nd amendment? Who stands up against animal rights activists. No access, means the death of a way of life and culture shift in this country. Call me crazy, but thats what I see as the consequences of no access. Instead of kids out hunting and learning and conserving and protecting gun rights and hunting, they will all end up down at standing rock.

Scary.

Speaking of deer hunting down here access is not an issue at all. Now if you think you are going out and going to blast a 150 every year than it can be. I know my kid has shot 2 does the last few years and he is jacked up one was shot on public land and this year he shot it on some land i got permission on but the guy will let any one that asks go. Alot of public land requires walking a ways and i know alot of people complain about that so they limit them selves on access as much as any thing

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is exactly my thoughts too. At $1500/acre for the hunting land 160 acres comes out to be $240,000 plus you have loan interest on top of that going to the bank. I think if a guy was disciplined enough and make those payments to themselves for a year, every year after would be able to go on a couple hunts every year. I also get that having your own land were you can just got spend all your time has some allure to it also. When hunting access becomes unavailable of to expensive I will just fish more.

Riggins,ID guess it depends on what you do for work. I fish to take up time till hunting starts

- - - Updated - - -

What town/city out west. This has crossed my mind a few different times to move out somewhere were I can hunt elk every year.

Riggins,ID guess it depends on what you do for work. I fish to take up time till hunting starts

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of deer hunting down here access is not an issue at all. Now if you think you are going out and going to blast a 150 every year than it can be. I know my kid has shot 2 does the last few years and he is jacked up one was shot on public land and this year he shot it on some land i got permission on but the guy will let any one that asks go. Alot of public land requires walking a ways and i know alot of people complain about that so they limit them selves on access as much as any thing

We look for people to shoot does every year. Still lookin for some this year.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 173
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 58