letter

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wrote a letter to G&F and for personal reasons decided to post it on here. I have never been good with the words, and it has haunted me all my life.
Had a teacher my senior year in college who call me into his office. Stated i should not be in college as i was not college material. However, i was there, as many where, to avoid the draft, not to learn words.

But i soon found another reason.

During orientation week my freshman year, i found Broadway St. in downtown Fargo. I was a boy from the farm who had led a shelter life. I found young ladies with my 58 Buick driving on that street with some who had jobs and others just out for the ride. We were all looking and hoping for a new experience. Some were willing and able to pay for their fair share of the experience we both hoped to have that night. Mine were many as it was for others. Cars were fast and airport road would find the fastest. Beer was cheap and easy to get. A night or two in jail would add to the memories.

Both reasons were enough to enable me to work at staying in college (there might have been a probation or warning or two but i did outlast a handful of roommates and made it to the end). I guess i never did learn the words or at least most of them.

It was a time of innocents and life was good as were the memories.
It is long.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Game and Fish:

For many, the reason to oppose bill 1152 was, we need to listen to the experts. With all the book learning, the previous lifetime experience of all those before, your resources, ect you do have more knowledge than i have as would be expected. I have had none of that.
Your statement we are not sure and i agree with that as i am not sure of CWD. It's cause and how to prevent. But then comes the statement we need to do something. In my opinion, the worst statement one could make. Doing something we are unsure of has many other consequences with it.

I have had a number of discussions by word and letter with the game and fish. It sems that once the uniform comes on. the badge goes on with the gun on the hip a new attitude about your role comes. Sitting behind the desk with the computer separates' the game and fish from us in the real world.

Twice i have had wardens issue a citation to me only to prove they were wrong in that citation. Once in the field and once by the state's attorney of the county. Both time i still got a chewing out, once i was told if i did not plead guilty the penalty would be much harder on me.

In 95 i called about plots and feeding deer to your department in Bismarck. In the end the person said you must have heard all the laughing about doing this and the words dump and stupid were used by your department on me.

I have called and written about Elk number in this state only, i feel, to be ridicule by your people with disbelief in my statements. I feel at times it is fruitless to visit with your department.

Years ago, i called your office about the unlimited doe license your department seem to be giving out. I made the statement to you that this is not good for the future of the deer or the hunter.

My concern is your willingness not to listen to those who are out in the field and feel you have a higher than thou attitude as demonstrated by some of your actions. You issue statement of need to do something with no regards to what doing something will, can and may do.

I was like when i was in Nam in charge of a 175mm cannon and 12 soldiers. A one-star general comes to visit and i had my corporal show him around the gun. He stated telling the corporal that what we were doing was wrong and to change. The corporal stated we have tried that before and it does not work, the one-star started laughing at the corporal's statements. On that point enough is enough, we never invited him up here. I call the men to formation, attention and dismiss as the general was talking. By that afternoon i lost my M-16, was relieve of my command, told to spit shine my boots (right) and according to the battery clerk he wanted my strips, a dishonorable discharge for insubordination in a combat zone. and then i had $600 for R&R in Bangkok that coming Monday, A soldier went before me and told me what $600 would do for me. i was having wet dreams before that day thinking of what was to happen and poof it was gone.
The point being, we need to be willing to listen, discus and believe in those out in the field.

It is said for those in favor, there were too many me and my. Yes, it is about the future of the deer in ND but also about the future of those who are a part of all of this. We both need to work for a common goal that takes all into account; we need consideration for both the deer and the outdoors people.

We are not the sheep that can only survive with your help and those of other experts in this and their fields. You need to listen and find some common sense in what we all do. Same with those in Washington.

Show some trust in us if you want us to trust and work with you for the common good of all. Be willing to listen, to show understanding, to be humble in your dealing and decisions by common sense along with the science.

I believe with all my hear that your action will cause more harm to the wildlife than by me providing plots, habitat and feeders for them.

Now i feel it is time for my statement: "i am not sure but i need to do something: I am feeding, planting plots and habitat and i am willing to listen and discus about the harm and good i am doing. The history of the whitetail has had many ups and downs over all the years even before i was around. Learn from that.

I wish you the best of luck in managing the herd and all wildlife for today and future generation. I am not advocating for the legislators to take over the task as they have their handful's as it is. My concern at this point is baiting and only baiting. May God be with you and your decisions be right for all concern.

I thank you for taking the time to read.

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A Jim William called me back about my letter i wrote to G&F. i understand he is one of the head guys up there.
Good conversation. Clear a lot up with me and G&F.

Stated they are doing an aerial count up in Pembina and the Tuttle Mt. Got a tech company to do this so should get an accurate count. Will count whitetail, moose and Elk. Able to tell different with their machine.
Said be done in 3-4 weeks so i will find out how much i have embarrass myself. Also said Canada has agree to work with us on managing the elk in the Turtle MT.

Hanson buck for sale plus B. Cobin sheds. Dig somewhat deep but i assume Pro Bass will get. db

Last edited:

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing it was Jeb Williams and yes, he is the director of G&F. I have had personal dealings with him and everything I have to say about him is Positive with my past dealings. He was a district manager and I worked with him for my section in the NG to do some training on WMA's and he was as accommodating as could be, Seemed like a really straight up guy.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be interesting on what they find out in my unit that I hunt as to how many wildlife numbers there really are in land that is covered in trees and buck brush. I suppose they are using drones with night vision and heat vision as well Good post db-2

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
He said thermal i believe. db

Uncle Rico

Well, I can say that there are close to zero deer, elk or moose anywhere near our property in the turtle mountains. Still have a few cell cams running because i didn't have the ambition to go in after them in the deep snow. I think we have seen 1 deer in the last month. We have always been told the deer move down to the plains during snowy winters? Looked to be very few tracks in general up there when I was last there in early January. My point is, I'm not sure how valuable flying the Turtles right now is?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79