Loading "Hotter"

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would hope your gun wouldnt blow up even if you loaded to the top of the case neck. I personally would not try this haha. It would be very interesting to chrony some cold loads. I used SDMF's labradar this last summer and found out that when the gun gets hot that temperature spikes would sometimes add 50 FPS.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they did understand what you meant. I thought that was what you meant but wanted to make sure. A new or inexperienced loader may not have, thats why I asked you for more info.

Sorry if I offended you.

YOU sir are not offensive in the least. Sorry I put out that vibe.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched bits and pieces till I saw what he did at the 12:50 mark. I wished he was a gardener giving advice how to grow turnips rather than a gun expert.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Powders are all different. I noticed someone mentioned muzzle flash. I remember loading a light bullet in my 243 Winchester using BL-C(2). That powder lights up the night if you touch one off in the dark. Even legal shooting hours at dusk it will fill your scope as KDM mentioned. For law enforcement they load special low flash ammunition.

svnmag I understand what your asking. Hodgdon extreme powders help, but they don't do as much as advertised. You need to do a lot of chronographing in winter to know that. I have chronographed at 20 below zero. As a matter of fact I waited for 20 below zero. When I was younger I preferred hunting in cold because the coyotes are very hungry.

Ball powders are notorious for loosing velocity in cold weather. In some of the older Speer reloading manuals they recommend magnum primers for ball powders. I shoot a lot, so like ball powders that don't require trickle charging for an accurate powder dump. So what I did back years ago was build cold weather and warm weather loads. I would paint my primers red for warm weather, and blue for cold weather. If I remember right there was about a grain and a half difference in my 20 below load and my 80 degree load in my 22-250 with 50 gr bullets. Today I build my loads in warm weather and enter the temperature into my program before hunting. Sometimes I would watch the weather forecast and print of a small cheat sheet the night before hunting.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
H 4350 and varget both had such a small difference from 80 to 0 I can't shoot the difference

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's such an open ended question. All I can say is that keep your load and go and try it. It could even depend on your gun and its characteristics vs other guns. I do a lot of reloading and the only powder that I have ever seen a drastic change is with imr 4064. With that being said I have pushed the max limit before but I worked up my load to it. When I felt the added pressure and bolt was sticky I stopped there. Just give it a go and work your way up. My only recommendation is not to go over max. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1