looking for a breeder or a good pup

tinker

Founding Member
Founding Member
would like a gsp or a pointing lab...know of anyone with a litter or a good place to check? thanks

weakstream

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tongue River Labs have good quality pointing labs. I used to be in Cavalier, but I believe they are now in Grand Forks.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine out of Choice Cut Kennels. It's in Frazee MN. The guy's name is Gary and his dogs are second to none. Check him out, he specializes in black and white shorthairs.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got my yellow pup from Sauk River Retrievers near Osakis MN. He pointed a few times while with me last year at 4-5 months old, was retrieving dead ducks in the yard as well. My parents have a 9 year old black lab from the same breeder and she is an incredible upland dog.

I have plenty of info, PM me if you need.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
tongue river labs has excellent labs. I got my most recent pup from torgs labs in solway mn and so far he has been in excellent pup.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the owner is pretty cool, cant say the same for other breeders in eastern Nodak.

I guess I wasn't very specific, yes your right Cosmo is a GWP - My intent was inform Tinker of the GSP's he has also..

Huh. I guess it goes both ways.

There are several good GWP breeders in eastern ND apart from Norton. Three Paws Kennels in Casselton, Top Shelf Kennels in Horace and Dakota Rose Kennels in Grafton all produce top-notch hunting and family GWPs.

If I was looking for a shorthair, though, I'd look in MN or WI (Sharp Shooters). Both states have several breeders that produce some of the highest caliber GSPs in the country.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Huh. I guess it goes both ways.

There are several good GWP breeders in eastern ND apart from Norton. Three Paws Kennels in Casselton, Top Shelf Kennels in Horace and Dakota Rose Kennels in Grafton all produce top-notch hunting and family GWPs.

If I was looking for a shorthair, though, I'd look in MN or WI (Sharp Shooters). Both states have several breeders that produce some of the highest caliber GSPs in the country.

Geez man, you sure have it out for Norton.. I was merely tossing out options, but oh well have a nice day..

Just another reason why I stay clear of the dog drama and elitist attitudes with local chapters - save that bubble gum club garbage for Westminster;:;barf

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Geez man, you sure have it out for Norton.. I was merely tossing out options, but oh well have a nice day..

Just another reason why I stay clear of the dog drama and elitist attitudes with local chapters - save that bubble gum club garbage for Westminster;:;barf

Haha "have it out for Norton." That's rich. I like the guy. Just giving the OP some other information as I feel the "Norton is cool but can't say the same for other eastern ND breeders" is pretty off base.

I'm not sure what elitist attitude you're talking about. Every place I've been to, from NAVHDA and NSTRA to the local Retriever Club, has been welcoming and friendly. You must just rub folks the wrong way.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Haha "have it out for Norton." That's rich. I like the guy. Just giving the OP some other information as I feel the "Norton is cool but can't say the same for other eastern ND breeders" is pretty off base.

I'm not sure what elitist attitude you're talking about. Every place I've been to, from NAVHDA and NSTRA to the local Retriever Club, has been welcoming and friendly. You must just rub folks the wrong way.

Oh boy, didn't your mommy ever teach you to never assume anything?? Did it dawn on you that since I don't know the "other breeders", I cant speak the same for them - Just sayin..

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope, but mama always did say to be the bigger person, so you're right. I overstepped. That's what I get for commenting before coffee.

In all honesty, I think Cosmo is overbred. I have a Cosmo pup, and I've hunted and trained with a lot of Cosmo pups, and they're all just this side of nuts. You can see the NSTRA blood. I prefer a bit more controlled and methodical wirehair in the field and duck blind, but that's just me.

Again, there's a lot of solid breeders in the midwest for GSPs and GWPs. As long as OP does his homework and researches a few pedigrees along the way, there's no reason he can't find a good pup to fit his hunting style.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Nope, but mama always did say to be the bigger person, so you're right. I overstepped. That's what I get for commenting before coffee.

In all honesty, I think Cosmo is overbred. I have a Cosmo pup, and I've hunted and trained with a lot of Cosmo pups, and they're all just this side of nuts. You can see the NSTRA blood. I prefer a bit more controlled and methodical wirehair in the field and duck blind, but that's just me.

Again, there's a lot of solid breeders in the midwest for GSPs and GWPs. As long as OP does his homework and researches a few pedigrees along the way, there's no reason he can't find a good pup to fit his hunting style.

You bet! Thumbs Up

Third cup of coffee for me is just starting to kick in- HA!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28