Looking for Gun Smith

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Need one to shorten a stock and install a recoil pad. Willing to pay for quality work.
Hey zog we have a few really good smiths in my area for gunfit,good on you,most ppl just take the shotgun off the rack and call it good for a few weekends in the field.

I suggest you look for a registered trap shoot near you,these shoots have mobil smiths that follow,lots of smiths around but a really good smith is a classified shooter at least a A class AA better for gunfit,does your thunder stick have a "monte carlo" stock (raised comb) curious as a raised comb helps to keep your head high making it easier to aquire target out of trap house. Good luck

A trip to spicer mn to have Pat Laib gunsmith would be worth a day road trip,he also builds custom rifles.great guy if he's not retired,last i seen pat he was shooting as senior vet AA/AA 27. Shooting all three events.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know if this has any merit to your situation: You may want to check out Boyd's Gunstocks for a mod candidate and preserve the original. Good luck.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got that tip from SDMF on FBO. In that instance it entailed buying a full size M70 and getting a youth stock. It never happened but would've worked perfectly:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got that tip from SDMF on FBO. In that instance it entailed buying a full size M70 and getting a youth stock. It never happed but would've worked perfectly:

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
Yeah I also went through boyds because they were the only ones who carried a model 30 express stock. Wanted a synthetic but no one carried so I went with a laminated pistol grip instead and had northern rifle install the stock and a Burris scope and on the Remington 6mm a trijicon that needed some fabrication so the scope could be installed.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a pretty good guy down here in Wyndmere but he is pretty backlogged. Had him install the Timney Trigger on my Ruger M77 7mm rifle and a Boyd's stock which I could have done the stock myself but had him doe it while it was there anyways.
Here is a guy that did your FFL work at our SCI Banquet this spring in Fargo, I know he does lots of different work but not sure on what you are looking to do.
https://www.woodysarms.com/

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently did just that on a 270. This is a shotgun stock.
I would definitely get a sacrificial stock; have found lot's of good shit on E-Bay if Boyd's peters out.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grand Forks. I have dropped it off at the 'Brothers Gun shop'. They have two gun repair guys they work with. One guy is the person that bought most of Gordy's equipment. The other guy does minor repairs and cleaning. Shortening a stock is kind of like cabinet making not every carpenter is a cabinet maker.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a buddy that wanted the stock on his fancy shotgun shorted by about an 1/8 of an inch. Clamped it in my trim saw and cut it off. Sweated bullets all the way through but it worked out alright and he was happy. LB

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a buddy that wanted the stock on his fancy shotgun shorted by about an 1/8 of an inch. Clamped it in my trim saw and cut it off. Sweated bullets all the way through but it worked out alright and he was happy. LB
It's easy to cut them off. I have cut many off with a table saw. It's fitting the recoil pad so there is no lip. I always put 3 layers of tape when sanding the recoil pad down. Then I got to the last layer of tape. I would sand by hand to get the fit I wanted.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grand Forks. I have dropped it off at the 'Brothers Gun shop'. They have two gun repair guys they work with. One guy is the person that bought most of Gordy's equipment. The other guy does minor repairs and cleaning. Shortening a stock is kind of like cabinet making not every carpenter is a cabinet maker.
Zog... consider a recoil reducer as well as a gel recoil fixed to butt stock mercury adds very little weight compared to lead (dead mule)...

Just a thought,hope your smith made measurements

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 31