30-30 again.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winchester brought out a new lever action 22 called the Ranger. Somewhat reasonable in price.
1710524388261.png
I have 2 Henry's and 2 Brownings. Believe that I need a few of these as well!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I missed out on it the one year(when could have multiple licenses) because of work, but my other family members use to have 30-30 Thursday. Only gun you could carry whether buck or doe tag. Needed to stalk fairly close to get a decent shot. They had a lot of fun.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it feed ok ? I still have a few dented 30-30 shells , I don't know why I save stuff like that. When I think about it , I'm surprised I didn't use them .
No. It feeds, but it's very rough and you really have to slam that bolt if you want reliability. The brother in law has his dads Savage and although those two rifles look alike the Savage is much better.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have owned 2 30-30 a bolt savage and a pump Rem. Didnt like either one. Have my Dads 303 Brit that is about the same. Killed a lot of deer with that old gal. When dad bought it at monky-wards for 49$ it was a good investment at the time. Now I think the brass butt plate is worth more than that. When you are a skinny runt at 14 and dont weigh more than a 100 it was a beast to shoot and that butt plate didnt help. That flip open hide-hole was a good place to put the metal tag that we used back in the D Boone days. Picked up 5 boxes of shells last year and was going to try to get one more deer but alas didnt get a tag, maybe this year. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did try to sight in my dads old Winchester. Found out its got a bent barrel. Not sure where the best place to get a barrel or if its worth it. Will probably get passed on to a niece or nephew.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did try to sight in my dads old Winchester. Found out its got a bent barrel. Not sure where the best place to get a barrel or if its worth it. Will probably get passed on to a niece or nephew.
The right 'smith may be able to fix that.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a brand new Numrich arm 30-30 octagon barrel. Its threaded and chambered and cut out for extractor and have the dovetails cut in for sites.

Will sell for 75.00

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a brand new Numrich arm 30-30 octagon barrel. Its threaded and chambered and cut out for extractor and have the dovetails cut in for sites.

Will sell for 75.00
I will sure keep that in mind, not sure what or if I'm going to do anything with it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uncle straightened a M12 bbl with a torch and a block of wood. This may be problematic with rifle pressures and changing the temper. It MAY be just a matter of a hair dryer and vice.

Well here:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My uncle straightened a M12 bbl with a torch and a block of wood. This may be problematic with rifle pressures and changing the temper. It MAY be just a matter of a hair dryer and vice.

Well here:

I straightened my shotgun barrels by filling them with sand. Pack it into the barrel and push it with a barrel vise. I never had one kink. You may have to drill the sand out to see if it's straight. If you have a Shadow it's not straight.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I made it to the range. Determined that the Iron sights are on. Also determined if this old coot is going to keep this Blunderbuss I will have to put a scope on.
Preferably a low powered variable. 2X7 Leupold. Anyone, Anyone???
Plus I need to get an eye exam and new bifoclols.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I made it to the range. Determined that the Iron sights are on. Also determined if this old coot is going to keep this Blunderbuss I will have to put a scope on.
Preferably a low powered variable. 2X7 Leupold. Anyone, Anyone???
Plus I need to get an eye exam and new bifoclols.
A Leupold 1.5-4 power would be about perfect. For a short range rifle (under 150yrds), a 4 power is plenty.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bifocals????? You mean you haven't had to get trifocals yet?
I put a red dot on a short barrel 308 and it works great. Unlike the pistol red dot which my old eyes often sees as an amorphous blob while the small tubular dot sights for rifles are well defined. Get a 3 inch dot and sight in at 100 yards. The top of the dot will be on at approximately 50 yards and the bottom at 200 yards. About 10 years ago when doe tags were plentiful I shot a doe at 300 yards using a red dot.
Check out even the cheapest ($119 on sale) Sig red dots.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bifocals????? You mean you haven't had to get trifocals yet?
I put a red dot on a short barrel 308 and it works great. Unlike the pistol red dot which my old eyes often sees as an amorphous blob while the small tubular dot sights for rifles are well defined. Get a 3 inch dot and sight in at 100 yards. The top of the dot will be on at approximately 50 yards and the bottom at 200 yards. About 10 years ago when doe tags were plentiful I shot a doe at 300 yards using a red dot.
Check out even the cheapest ($119 on sale) Sig red dots.

I will be getting on Eye Exam as soon as we get back to GF. So are the Sig red dots somewhat good? I guess if they worked for one old coot should be good for this one. :ROFLMAO:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would look at the 507 Holosun. It has shake wake with solar charger.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will be getting on Eye Exam as soon as we get back to GF. So are the Sig red dots somewhat good? I guess if they worked for one old coot should be good for this one. :ROFLMAO:
https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo5-1x20-mm.html
It comes with a high mount for an AR but that's removable. I have a number of the Holosun solar charged, but even with the new model enclosed emitter they are not nearly as nice for a rifle as this for 1/4 the price. You can get them more expensive with a choice of reticle but a simple red dot is what I like best. The Romeo five is also shake awake and battery life is in the tens of thousands of hours. If remember its a two inch dot.
https://www.sigsauer.com/romeo5-and-juliet3-combo.html
Edit: if you have a rail on your rifle you can run a 3x magnifier in line with this red dot.
20240324_074456.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93