Looking to upgrade to a electric ice auger, brand and size auger?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i ain't doing nothing wrong. when you are opening old holes or get a hole full of slush that then takes on water once you break through, things catch and that drill has got enough torque to wreck shit. see the above post by someone else. i will say this... once the ice gets thick, i clear the slush at least a few times before breaking through and soaking the slush and it helps immensely. so, in the sense that i now do things a bit differently, i guess that maybe what i did before was "wrong".

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
With enough buffoonery one could snap(or bend) that drill shaft with some side to side torque. The plate removes the side pressure from the drill shaft as well.

torque is torque. Pressure will change only because locking point of drill and plate to auger differ. Its all location.

- - - Updated - - -

I wrecked my elbow and the mottled metal piece on the drill the handle clamps on to while using a Milwaukee and k-drill set up. It's a lot of torque when that drill bit grabs the ice. I bought a plate last year and never used it. I will be using the plate this year. I suspect the few extra pounds will be worth the saved strain on my elbow, my wrist and the drill.

Hold on to it.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
100E19D6-84CC-4DAA-ACCC-9D8125A7746C.jpg

All the the talk got me motivated. I decided to pull it out of the garage attic and get it ready for hard water. I will be pairing it up with the 9amp battery this winter also. So far with all my tools I get about 2 times as much run time with the 9amp so I’m hoping it will transfer over to the drill.

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they sell the drill with the 9amp battery or do you have to order that separate?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a K-drill and no plate, seems unnecessary to me if you know what you're doing and actually hang onto the damn thing, ya know like any other auger. I wouldn't try drilling one handed with a gas auger either. But that's why we have all these warnings and shit for everything now days because there is always a dumbass in the bunch. If the plate makes you feel better go for it. Not worth the extra money or weight IMO.;)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a K-drill and no plate, seems unnecessary to me if you know what you're doing and actually hang onto the damn thing, ya know like any other auger. I wouldn't try drilling one handed with a gas auger either. But that's why we have all these warnings and shit for everything now days because there is always a dumbass in the bunch. If the plate makes you feel better go for it. Not worth the extra money or weight IMO.;)

As long as you don't let your in-laws touch it.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
I burned up some Scheels cash this year on the new Strikemaster Lithium. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money. Looks like a nice auger but a lot of people going the k-drill route.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I burned up some Scheels cash this year on the new Strikemaster Lithium. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money. Looks like a nice auger but a lot of people going the k-drill route.

I'll have to check that out. I have a 10 inch Nils that needs a lower speed powerhead than the Ice Gator.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's strange capt , nils was selling the 10inch with the icegator powerhead. How many inches of hardice were you able to get out of a full charge

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's strange capt , nils was selling the 10inch with the icegator powerhead. How many inches of hardice were you able to get out of a full charge

It was too much drag for the speed. The motor was heating up after a few longer cuts. They should have never sold it with the 10 inch bit. The 8 inch is a modern marvel on the thing, though.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’re both great drills. I prefer the k drill because it’s easy to overlap holes which is nice for making spear holes, minnow trap holes etc. Also, the k drill chuck, extension etc fits all strike master so I can run it with my Honda power head if I want as well.

Say what now? I didn't know it fits a honda strikemaster. I guess I do need something for ice fishing.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

They come with two batteries now, don't they?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol. i did hang on to it. that's how the handle broke off the drill and i wrecked my elbow. i wish i would have let go of the damn thing.

- - - Updated - - -

the handle didn't hit my elbow. the handle broke off the pot metal connection on the drill and my remaining elbow absorbed all the torque of the drill. i've been dealing with "k-drill" elbow ever since.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the torque on those new drills is spooky

also - they’re “always running” - bad bongos if you leave them in drive and go to pick them up sloppily and hit the trigger

I’ve grown accustomed to putting mine in lock - ha ha

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was too much drag for the speed. The motor was heating up after a few longer cuts. They should have never sold it with the 10 inch bit. The 8 inch is a modern marvel on the thing, though.
The 9.5 bit I received from Greg Pepple from Ice gator only had enough flights to remove 18 inches of ice from the hole before it would begin to put too much strain on the motor. I tried to get ahold of him later on to get the rest of the flightings which would have filled the entire 42 inch length of shaft given me a full 2.5 feet of flightings to remove shavings from the whole. Greg said the same thing that the 10 inch nils was too big of a diameter bit that's the reason why he went with a 9.5 with a dual flighting system. The 9.5 does struggle when the ice gets around 2 feet but I pull up to clean the shavings out and I also have two batteries for my gator.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12