Looking to upgrade to a electric ice auger, brand and size auger?

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Looking to travel lighter on the ice need some reviews on some lighter augers on the market. I currently have a Mako 8" gas. Sucks dragging around at 32lbs + gear. I fish multi-species need advise on a 8" or 6" electric augers. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like my ION but have to admit I've not tried the K-drill. Looked at them and when I need a new one I will definitely look at both before buying. When I bought the ION, K-drill was pretty new.

I do know that my 8-inch is big enough. Haven't used a 6-inch in more than 30 years but do know when that was about all that was available everybody got along just fine with a 6-inch hole in the ice. You might have to move the fish around a little but a 20-lb northern will fit through a 6-inch hole. If you are going to fish with young kids around I'd advise that you stay away from 10-inch. Invariably when there are 10-inch holes in the area, some kid is going to end up with a boot full of water.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 8” kdrill with a Milwaukee mounted on a clam plate. Very light. I think around 13lbs. My gas auger only comes out to drill spear holes now.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It gives the drill a stable platform to sit on. I feel it has less torque on the drill cause you have handles like a normal auger.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The only thing a ION won't drill through is a tree, also have the K-drill on the Clam plate that works really good to, after having these drills I wouldn't even begin to look at a gas auger

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the clam plate is good to have so that newbs who are used to gas can go at it like it’s a gasser

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't think the Clam Plate is a waste of money, it's very easy to drill with the plate and also when done drilling the drill itself isn't laying in the snow

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the K-drill. Skip the clam plate. It's a waste of money, bulk and weight just to get that authentic "auger feel". Attach the accessory side handle to your drill.

Go drill 50 holes in an outing with one and the next day drill 50 more with one. It makes a difference unless you are only into punching 4 holes in your shack and calling it quits.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Thanks for all the input on battery augers going to go with the 8" K Drill / Clam plate. Will use my gas as a backup for the real thick ice with my extension i already have for it. Thanks again! Hope you all have a great winter it has to be better for some off us than last year.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go drill 50 holes in an outing with one and the next day drill 50 more with one. It makes a difference unless you are only into punching 4 holes in your shack and calling it quits.

Yep, done it. Not a problem. In my OP, I mentioned the side handle for the drill. 2 handed grip. How's that any different from a 2 handed clam plate grip?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the Clam Plate is a waste of money, it's very easy to drill with the plate and also when done drilling the drill itself isn't laying in the snow

The side handle mounted on the drill and the battery rest on the ice.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I got to use both the Ion and the K-drill with and without the plate, and I liked both but I would give the nod to the K-Drill with plate. Main reason is the K-Drill is a little lighter and a little less bulky, with the plate make sure you get the gearbox one as it seems to take a little shock out and then the plate handle can be set on the ice keeping off the ice. For the drill if your buying new try to get the bigger torque Milwaukee, not sure which number it is, as that did seem to cut even better.

- - - Updated - - -

Both k drill and ion were 8in models

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 41