losing a best friend...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have an american emskimo nearing the end... great friend and family pet... organs shutting down at 14 after a great life... sux... any help appreciated... what to say to wife and kids... thanks...

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any advice to give, but I am very sorry. As I type this my best buddy is laying on my feet. I can't even imagine the pain of losing him some day... condolences friend.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Very tough, and I'm sorry for what you are facing. They become family.

Remember the good times.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have buried several pets over the years, it never gets any easier, let the kids know, and it's okay to cry. Our dad's were wrong. Losing a family member deserves a tear

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It straight up sucks. Nothing else to say. Like with all pain, time helps lessen it. And it may sound crazy now... but, eventually a new pup does wonders for most dog lovers.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know your pain and am sorry for it. Let your friend go with dignity and don't grieve too long. Get a new pup soon, just know you'll never replace one that's lost. Again, I'm sorry.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My condolensces to you all. Tough reality of life to explain to youngsters sometimes. I wish you and your family all the best during this difficult time.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right after Christmas 2014, my English Setter and I went pheasant hunting. He put on a clinic as usual and at seven years old I mentioned out loud on the way home that he needs to train a new pup. Three days later he died for no apparent reason. That one hurt.

On June 3rd I'm picking up a new Setter. Berg Brothers in Minnesota. Kerry Schorsh (Havelock Setters) in New England ND has retired.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, It is very hard but all the great memories will help soften the loss in time! Lost one of mine 5-6 years ago still shed a tear now and then. But they are good tears after all these years.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 14 he had a good run. My condolensces... Best thing for the kids is a new puppy!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear this raider.

American Eskimos are hard livin' super-dogs. My brother had one and Kodak was a great dog. Enslow is right - Yours lived a long life!

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel your pain raider, we had to put our lab down in February after 11 years. It hurt so bad. It does get better with time and I had to stay busy when at home not to think about her. I'm sorry you are going to have to go through this, it flat out sucks

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have buried several pets over the years, it never gets any easier, let the kids know, and it's okay to cry. Our dad's were wrong. Losing a family member deserves a tear

This is right on. I never want the day to come that I have to tell my kids that our dog has passed away. Sorry for the loss.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs are awesome companions. Just treat them right and they are forever loyal. God bless!

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear what you are about to go through. I had to put my lab down 2 weeks past her 10th bday this past February due to severe kidney disease. Was a hard time for the whole family as she was my wife and i's first kid before the boys were born. Condolences to you and your family.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is tough; just tell the kids the truth and tell them it is ok to be sad and it gets better over time. It is, for sure, the worst part of being a responsible owner. Don't wait too long on a puppy!

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know your pain all to well. We had to put our lab down a few years ago, second hardest thing I've had to do. Still miss that dog, only 8yrs old. Damn cancer. My condolences to you and your family.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
well, it's over... after 14 years and nearly 6 months sturgis hit the gates of heaven bout 2 hours ago... when he wouldn't eat hamburger this morning, we knew it was time... after some holding and crying while his breathing shallowed, we took him to the vet for his last shot... now only we hurt...

he outlived an older brother, and now his sister (same litter) is the only one left... we don't expect her to see fall, but is doing pretty well right now... this might change that as they have had one night apart their whole lives... don't think we will get 2 the same age again... too hard at the end, and a puppy would torture sophie at her age... when she's gone, we will start shopping...

thanks all...

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My condolences cry.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108