Lottery

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing sportsman want to limit youth hunters from shooting does. How can sportsman be so selfish.

Both MN and S.D. let nonresident youth Deer hunting. In MN they can shoot Buck and Does. I know S.D. let's Does be shot, And N.D. doesn't let nonresidents hunt during the youth season. N.D. the deer numbers will never go up as there is no habitat out there anymore. It's not the hunters killing them all. It's going down from lack of habitat and predators. Back in the late 90's and 2000's till about 2014 the Deer numbers were way up because there was lots of CRP. Then the CRP went away and the deer number started to drop.

Give me a Break, youth hunters killing to many Does.
Cuz it’s hurting the population

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rather than not let youth hunters shoot does, I'd rather see the season closed to all of us adults and yes even gratis tags. Let the youth hunters hunt and the deer herd will be protected and allowed to grow by stopping adult hunters from harvesting. I know so and so will say, yeah but my dad, grandpa, uncle, so and so is getting old this might be the last season I hunt with them, Thats a hard reality but I think its better than stopping youth hunters from hunting.
None of it will happen anyway, Game and Fish needs that tag money to badly.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If every farmer was paid to leave 20 acres of corn in every field the numbers would go. I hunted in the LaMoure area for yrs. Get away from the river and 90% of the habitat is gone. When it's dry all the sloughs are burned and dug up

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a hard time believing sportsman want to limit youth hunters from shooting does. How can sportsman be so selfish.

Both MN and S.D. let nonresident youth Deer hunting. In MN they can shoot Buck and Does. I know S.D. let's Does be shot, And N.D. doesn't let nonresidents hunt during the youth season. N.D. the deer numbers will never go up as there is no habitat out there anymore. It's not the hunters killing them all. It's going down from lack of habitat and predators. Back in the late 90's and 2000's till about 2014 the Deer numbers were way up because there was lots of CRP. Then the CRP went away and the deer number started to drop.

Give me a Break, youth hunters killing to many Does.
When it comes to pheasant why are only roosters allowed to be harvested and not hens ?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would give up every deer tag I ever draw for the rest of my lifetime and gladly give them to my kids and proudly sit there and watch them shoot. To stop giving the youth tags out is the most selfish idea I’ve ever heard in my life.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see it as pure selfishness if your bitching about stopping the young hunters from harvesting a deer. Would gladly give my tag to a young hunter "if" I had one.
More habitat is the only prayer the deer have of recovering.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1719405841375.png

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted 3F2 the last 2 years on private land next to state land. Last year, saw the same 4 muley does all season and 1 muley buck. A lot of hunters hunting any and all plots. On Saturday night of opening weekend, at the bar in Mott, we had heard of only 1 deer being taken from 3F2. I wont hunt that unit again.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see it as pure selfishness if your bitching about stopping the young hunters from harvesting a deer. Would gladly give my tag to a young hunter "if" I had one.
More habitat is the only prayer the deer have of recovering.

Back in the day ND didnt have a "youth hunt". I like my buddies waited until we were 14 put in with everyone else and waited to see if we drew a tag. I cant even remember if i drew right away; it didnt matter as the hunt wasnt about me -- the hunt was about the group and the stories that were told years later. Today its all about the size and all about "me".

Back then when you got your first deer you were proud. You were a rookee and you had to work harder then the group walking that extra mile or two. All the jrs had to walk the "shit" while the elders got to walk the easy stuff up on top. It was all worth it. All the elders were watching you, to make sure you stayed in line, you hunted conservatative and safe or the elders were on your ass. Your gun was handmedowns, it was old but shot straight, your clothing was from your dad or brother; hung on ya a little bit. Wouldnt have it any different now if i was doing it again.

I am not saying to change the system that we have now -- just pointing out how it was.

If you want to blame population -- blame it on Randy Kreil!!!! - ha. Remember when he came on fishingbuddy.com all hot and bothered. OMG fun fun.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted 3F2 the last 2 years on private land next to state land. Last year, saw the same 4 muley does all season and 1 muley buck. A lot of hunters hunting any and all plots. On Saturday night of opening weekend, at the bar in Mott, we had heard of only 1 deer being taken from 3F2. I wont hunt that unit again.
This is why there’s still buck tags left in that unit

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day ND didnt have a "youth hunt". I like my buddies waited until we were 14 put in with everyone else and waited to see if we drew a tag. I cant even remember if i drew right away; it didnt matter as the hunt wasnt about me -- the hunt was about the group and the stories that were told years later. Today its all about the size and all about "me".

Back then when you got your first deer you were proud. You were a rookee and you had to work harder then the group walking that extra mile or two. All the jrs had to walk the "shit" while the elders got to walk the easy stuff up on top. It was all worth it. All the elders were watching you, to make sure you stayed in line, you hunted conservatative and safe or the elders were on your ass. Your gun was handmedowns, it was old but shot straight, your clothing was from your dad or brother; hung on ya a little bit. Wouldnt have it any different now if i was doing it again.

I am not saying to change the system that we have now -- just pointing out how it was.

If you want to blame population -- blame it on Randy Kreil!!!! - ha. Remember when he came on fishingbuddy.com all hot and bothered. OMG fun fun.
They didn't call it "coming of age" for nothing.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When it comes to pheasant why are only roosters allowed to be harvested and not hens ?
It's the samething, when Pheasant numbers are down its because of bad weather like blizzards, A blizzard will kill more birds in 2 days then hunters will kill all season. And a blizzard does not kill just the roosters.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Freezing rain is worse than a blizzard for ditch chickens.
Yep, it's still the weather and roosters are not the only ones that die. I remember when the Partridge was way up in the 80's and early 90's. Then the winter of 96 and 97 all but whipped them all out. They still haven't rebounded and never will.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, it's still the weather and roosters are not the only ones that die. I remember when the Partridge was way up in the 80's and early 90's. Then the winter of 96 and 97 all but whipped them all out. They still haven't rebounded and never will.
I am actually seeing a lot of partridge in the west here, I drive a lot of country roads for my work, and see them much more often than previously

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
See , some people just don’t understand this . When a doe dies she can’t have fawns ……
I understand that harvesting of does is part of population control but when numbers are low I agree that doe tags should be limited or eliminated until the population rebounds. In the bottoms South of Bismarck where I live the population has dropped considerably yet the G&F last year was still giving out depredation doe tags. Just a few years ago on a normal night I would have 10 to 15 deer in our yard but the last two years there may be 3-4 and it only happens a couple times a week. On a good note I did have 4 bucks in my yard at the same time two weeks ago which I haven't witnessed in a few years, they were all young deer.

I do have whitetail doe tag again in 4D this year. I have hunted that area since the early 90's and there were more whitetail deer last year in that area than I have ever witnessed. If the numbers are anything like we found last year I will take a doe, if they are down I will not take one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 229
  • This month: 151
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 70