Metigoshe State Park

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're contemplating camping at Metigoshe State Park in June. Me, wife, and 13 and 10 year old boys. Just looking for thoughts from the gallery on things to do in the area or at the park....I've heard good things about fishing and I see there are some hiking trails. Wanted to hear from some who have been there on anything else we may not find on the ol' interweb that would be fun to do.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will love the smell of the fresh Mountain air, It's noticeable. Fishing at Metigoshe is ok but nothing to really brag about, If you can possibly make it happen weekdays are quieter and way better for fishing than weekends, She gets pretty crowded some weekends.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as other things to do in the area , There are the peace gardens if you like that kind of stuff and also if you are into fly fishing or want to fish for trout there is Strawberry lake to the west .

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went up there once. Beautiful area and as stated above, the fishing is decent at best. The campsite we had was tight getting the camper in due to all the tree's. But that is what makes the area so nice.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any chance of a guy finding any arrowheads outside the park? I used to love getting out in AZ when I lived there and it would be so cool to get my boys into it!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=5]DUE TO COVID-19 THE PEACE GARDEN IS CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC.[/h][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[h=5]THE PEACE GARDEN IS CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC, INCLUDING DRIVING OR HIKING. IF YOU PROCEED PAST CUSTOMS INTO THE PEACE GARDEN AND TURNAROUND AT OUR GATE, BORDER AGENTS MAY NOTIFY YOU THAT YOU MAY BE REQUIRED TO QUARANTINE FOR 14 DAYS. PLEASE ADHERE TO RECOMMENDED FEDERAL, STATE AND PROVINCIAL ORDERS.[/h]
The Peace Garden is indeed worthwhile to visit if it opens in time. Check here just before your trip to see if is open:

https://peacegarden.com

I posted pics on page 9 of the "Outdoor Photo Request" thread in General Discussions from a few places around Metigoshe that you could consider visiting ... specifically posts #169, #171, #175 and #180. We have a cabin on Metigoshe, so PM me if you have any questions.

Blue gills are plentiful. Get some worms or minnows and fish near standing weed beds. I troll for northerns, but you will catch 10 northerns for every walleye caught.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any chance of a guy finding any arrowheads outside the park? I used to love getting out in AZ when I lived there and it would be so cool to get my boys into it!!

Highly unlikely to find an arrowhead but hunting for anything is fun, I've been looking for the last 50 years or so and haven't found one yet, There is little to no wind erosion up here because of all the trees. There is a wide variety of rocks up here though

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Metigoshe drive in for pizza burgers and beer battered onion rings. You’re welcome

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input guys! We just booked a site for June!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the input guys! We just booked a site for June!

What dates?

ps: If you plan to go into Manitoba (if is't open to tourists) make sure you have the proper ID's to return to ND.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We'll be there June 10-14. We weren't planning to head into Canada this trip....

Some awesome pics in the Outdoor Photo Request that you posted!

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason I asked for your dates is that Mystical Horizons has the Turtle Mountains version of "Stone Henge!" There are 2 partial circles of stone facing to the west. The first (and smaller partial inner) has a brass marker in the concrete and then has a stone wall with three notches in the wall. One notch to the south west, one almost straight west and one to the northwest. Out from this wall are 3 more walls that have notches that align with the inner wall when you stand on the brass marker. The notch on the outside wall that lines up with the SW notch in the inner wall is where the sun goes down at the winter solstice. Likewise the NW notches lines up with the summer solstice. The notch that is straight west lines up where the sun goes down during the spring and fall equinox. Kinda neat to go there on those dates. You might look up sundown on the last night you are there and check it out.

ps: All times for the sun dial are Standard time!!!

The other thing I would recommend is to go into Botno and stop in at the Creamery/Dairy Dipper on Thompson Street in downtown and try their Juneberry Surprise and Thomas Jefferson Original ice cream. Downside is they are not open on Saturday or Sunday but you may be able to get their ice cream in the store on the way to the Lake. Walmart does not carry Pride Dairy ice cream.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason I asked for your dates is that Mystical Horizons has the Turtle Mountains version of "Stone Henge!" There are 2 partial circles of stone facing to the west. The first (and smaller partial inner) has a brass marker in the concrete and then has a stone wall with three notches in the wall. One notch to the south west, one almost straight west and one to the northwest. Out from this wall are 3 more walls that have notches that align with the inner wall when you stand on the brass marker. The notch on the outside wall that lines up with the SW notch in the inner wall is where the sun goes down at the winter solstice. Likewise the NW notches lines up with the summer solstice. The notch that is straight west lines up where the sun goes down during the spring and fall equinox. Kinda neat to go there on those dates. You might look up sundown on the last night you are there and check it out.

ps: All times for the sun dial are Standard time!!!

The other thing I would recommend is to go into Botno and stop in at the Creamery/Dairy Dipper on Thompson Street in downtown and try their Juneberry Surprise and Thomas Jefferson Original ice cream. Downside is they are not open on Saturday or Sunday but you may be able to get their ice cream in the store on the way to the Lake. Walmart does not carry Pride Dairy ice cream.

Honestly, this is why I continue to view and contribute to this site. It's so awesome that I can post while my wife is looking at campsites and get great info on the area. Thank you so much!!!!!

If we have a terrible time I fully blame you :::

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pride Dairy Ice Cream is definitely worth the stop. Many varieties to try. If you play golf there are good golf courses in the area. Botno, Dunseith and R0lla have nice courses. Some good ones in Canada as well but not sure when the border will reopen for tourists. I'm pretty sure the state park also has a decent swimming facility. Lots of good hiking and sightseeing in the area.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is an occasional bear sighting but they are not common. Other wildlife that you may or may not see a lot of in your area are Elk, Moose ,Pine marten, Ruffed Grouse, Lots of small ponds so quite a few odds and ends of waterfowl like wood ducks and loons and lots of painted turtles to keep you swerving to miss.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Forgot one. If you're interested in hiking something a little different, more wilderness type, just a little east of Hwy 281 that goes to the Peace Gardens, there is the Wakopa Game Management area. About 5000 acres owned by G&F along Hwy 43. There are many miles of hiking trails through the Turtle Mts. Definitely chances of seeing ruffed grouse, some turkeys, deer, perhaps a moose, beaver and lots of different birds. Trails are basically cleared (depending on how long ago they were cleared) trails. Very much a nature walk.

As far as fishing in the Turtle Mts, there are a lot of smaller lakes that hold fish. Walleyes are not high on the list of most of those lakes. At times you will catch some but those hill lakes just don't support a good population of walleyes consistently. However, pike, perch, bluegills, a couple trout lakes provide some very good fishing. And a lot of those lakes are not as busy with boat traffic as Metigoshe, especially during the weekend. Buegills have done very well in several lakes and can provide a lot of entertainment for kids especially. Hell, even I enjoy bluegill fishing. They fight very well for their size and are good eating.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never turn down a fun bluegill bite! Something about a bobber going down that gets the heart pumping....even if it is a small fish 99% of the time. Today I went out to some small ditches feeding a river and got an accidental 10.5 lb cat on a 29 inch medium light ice rod with 5 lb test line. What a blast!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never turn down a fun bluegill bite! Something about a bobber going down that gets the heart pumping....even if it is a small fish 99% of the time. Today I went out to some small ditches feeding a river and got an accidental 10.5 lb cat on a 29 inch medium light ice rod with 5 lb test line. What a blast!

Forgot to add the best parts of the story! I was walking back to the truck and saw a frog....caught him and thought "I should put this on my bobber rod (the 29" ML ice rod). It didn't last 3 minutes before being taken down. Lost it the first time and thought it was a walleye so casted back and instantly it went down again. Fight on! I'm on a rural dirt road, no traffic ever, and a guy drives by and shouts "HOWS THE FISHING?". He realized I was hooked up and asked if I wanted a net. He jumped out, landed the fish, talked for a few minutes, and left. Only in ND would this happen!!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL awesome story , Only in ND is right.

Last summer there were 3 moms and 3 little kids that couldn't have been much older that 4 or 5 years old at the boat dock in the state park , The kids had sticks for rods and about 3 feet of line and a bare hook tied on and they were snatching bluegills out of the nests under the dock left and right. Wife and I had been out in the boat half the day to scrounge up enough for supper, We got a good laugh when we saw them out fishing us with twigs and string

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14