Michigan deer annoyance

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
and yet…..

Some does. But some comes from industry taxes. The land and water conservation fund is a grant program funded by offshore oil and gas royalties.
The Land Water Conservation Fund was created back in 1963 at $900 million. Offshore oil and gas royalties that went into the US General Fund were diverted to the LWCF. It did not have dedicated funding. Proposals had to be run past Congress. Of course, there was always a big push for dedicated funding and team Trump caved and gave it to them with the stipulation they had to use the money to address the back log of maintenance at National Parks etc. Secretary of the Interior Bernhart wrote in there they could not purchase more land. As soon as Biden was elected, they reneged.

Similarly, the ND outdoor heritage fund is funded by an oil and gas production tax. Your broad, black and white statements are often inaccurate.

The ND Outdoor Heritage Fund is built on the same premise as the LWCF. It started out as Initiated measures for $100 million. The National Wildlife Federation sent Dave Detloff from Montana to float the plan. The ND wildlife federation wrote that in their minutes. Dave Detloff took Land Tawney's regional directorship at the time because Land Tawney was busy running Montana Sportsmen for Obama.

We can all recall the measure where Ducks Unlimited spent $5.4 million and the NDSU football players collected the signatures. Or didn't........

The ND Chamber of Commerce, League of Cities and numerous orgs spent $1.2 million fighting it. Governor Dalrymple said maybe give them $10 million. As soon as everyone testified at the legislature in support, Dahlpimple upped it to $15 million.

If anyone is interested how your money is being spent:

https://www.ndic.nd.gov/research-grant-programs-0/outdoor-heritage-fund/ohf-meeting-minutes

I only went to one meeting. At break time, former Game and Fish Director Terry Steinwand came over and asked what I was doing here? Explained I have a dentist appointment in an hour. He said let's exchange chairs. You sit here and listen to this, and I'll go to your dentist and get a fucking root canal. That guy was hilarious.
100% of our chapter’s bank account consists of membership money, donations, and volunteer led chapter fundraisers/raffles.
Hansjörg Wyss

Everyone, in 3...2...1..............we should have another lift off.

Last edited:

BrockW

Established Member
The Land Water Conservation Fund was created back in 1963 at $900 million.
It was proposed in 1963 by JFK, signed into law in 1964 by Johnson, and wasn’t officially in effect until Jan 1 of 1965. Hence the commonly referred to title “Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965”. This was actually a spawn of a 1958 bipartisan mandate that created the Outdoor Recreation Resources Review Commission. The ORRRC generated a report in 1961 that led to LWCF.

😉

One more correction, although perhaps it’s semantics. The LWCF was not funded at the full 900 million back then. It was “authorized” up to 900 million. Can @Fritz the Cat guess how many times it’s actually been fully funded @ the full 900 million since 1965?

As for the rest, you could’ve just said “Brock is right, LWCF and OHF are funded by oil production.”

Personally, I do hold the stance that the LWCF needs some reform.
Hansjörg Wyss
I repeat, our chapter has never taken a dollar from any grant, of any kind.

Is there an echo in here?

Last edited:

BrockW

Established Member
In case anyone wants to see how the LWCF money (aka offshore lease revenues from the Outer Continent Shelf ) gets spent here in ND.
View attachment 68826
https://www.parkrec.nd.gov/business/grants/land-and-water-conservation-fund

IMG_8137.jpeg

And just in case…
IMG_8139.jpeg

https://www.ndic.nd.gov/research-grant-programs-0/outdoor-heritage-fund

IMG_8140.jpeg

https://ndpetroleumfoundation.org/w...evenues-and-Distribution-Study-12-13-2022.pdf

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funded at those levels, everyone's hunting experiences should be much improved in the last ten years.

BrockW

Established Member
Funded at those levels, everyone's hunting experiences should be much improved in the last ten years.
I wish. Some states have utilized LWCF funds to great benefit for public access, wildlife and habitat. ND, unfortunately, is not one of those states.

Mostly parks, swimming pools, and other things that have nothing to do with habitat or wildlife. For those reasons I think it needs reform.
People can see for themselves below.
https://www.parkrec.nd.gov/business...t Projects for the Website - Updated 2019.pdf

The OHF, has been a little bit more of a mix for ND. It’s funded some really good projects. but it’s been diluted by some pretty crappy ones, and in the early days the ag members made sure some good ones never got funded. Even at the levels it’s been funded, which hasn’t always been to the full amount either, it can’t keep up with the likes of what the CRP program was.

CRP was essentially directly funding well over a 100 million per year of habitat in North Dakota. Don’t get me wrong, It wasn’t a perfect program either. But the OHF can’t keep up with that in funding or in application, with the way it’s currently being used.

Personally I would like to see the OHF be much more habitat focused, no more city green spaces or “sensory gardens”, just habitat, that’s it.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess I’m not sure what you mean. Our chapter has never applied for a grant, or taken grant money, from any grant program…ever.

However, we certainly would if the right situation presented itself, and I wouldn’t feel bad about it at all (for example the Bismarck boat ramp).

Just for anyone who may not know.

Grant programs are already funded, preemptively, before any funds are actually “granted”. So, that pool of money is already sitting there. For instance, the ND outdoor heritage fund is funded legislatively, those funds are capped at a certain amount every biennium, and applications/projects must meet certain objectives in order to qualify. Even then money can’t be spent on certain things, and the application still needs to be awarded by the OHF board. So if even you qualify, there’s no guarantee you’ll be awarded a grant. But the money is already there.
Jeezus..it's still tax money...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
We all want less taxes, but nobody wants their pet project cut. At political meeting last winter and this spring the first question asked of candidates was what about the farm program.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 60
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 18