Night hunting deer

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.bowhunting.com/article/is-night-hunting-for-deer-coming-soon/
Unless you’re chasing after coons, hogs, or coyotes, night hunting is pretty much outlawed across most of the country. Particularly when it comes to the pursuit of deer. That kind of behavior has strictly been limited to the local outlaws and poachers.

However, in the state of Arkansas, there’s been talk about the possibility of night hunting for deer as the ideal means of management. And the outdoors editor for the Arkansas Democrat Gazette even seems to have all the reasons why night hunting for deer is such a good idea. In his recent article, outdoors editor, Bryan Hendricks, started off with the following…

As Arkansas Game and Fish Commissioner Bill Jones said in the commission’s last meeting, critical thinkers reserve the right to change their opinions when they get new and better information.

As we learn more about chronic wasting disease, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, hunters and non-hunters should be open to adapting their opinions about deer hunting.
The article goes on to say: Accumulated data from studying chronic wasting disease compels us to adapt our deer hunting doctrine yet again. It also tells us that practices that have long been illegal might be logical solutions.

According to the Game and Fish Commission, deer spread CWD through physical and passive contact. An infected deer can spread CWD prions through grooming (licking another deer) or through merely touching noses. They can also spread it by consuming food that’s contaminated with the urine or saliva of an infected deer. Deer cover a lot of territory. If a local herd has a high prevalence rate, the chances are greater for infected deer from that herd to spread CWD to areas of lower prevalence.

Night hunting is a logical solution. It is illegal to hunt deer at night because it is so easy to kill deer at night. That is precisely why it would be an effective tool for reducing CWD prevalence. AGFC staff shoots deer at night to gather test samples. Citizen hunters could take vastly more samples and vastly increase the data pool.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
One year it happened on the base. Does only in specified areas/specified shot direction. I don't have a problem with it under strict parameters. The already shoot hogs down there at night, from helicopters etc.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a too many doe problem until there's a too many bucks problem. Has anyone ever experienced a "too many bucks" problem? I realize this thread is mostly about prions and saliva.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be open to discussing night hunting deer for archery and muzzleloader only... You can see pretty well on full moon nights or with an IR scope.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today on my feed, this below came across and KDM, I thought of you.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/w...1&cvid=48f70c33842140818e6e02f61fd2a0a0&ei=20

There is a little video clip. In the headline they say "wildlife expert".

Hardly.
Seeing coyotes eating meow mix would be nice. Makes shot placement more effective. However, he does have a point with predators losing their fear of people. I myself do my best to keep that fear VERY MUCH ALIVE AND WELL. (Grin)

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
In very Liberal based states deer populations have been a problem. I met a guy in my travels from Maryland and he absolutely slaughters deer. Last time I talked to him he shot 12 deer last year because very few people hunt them or allow access. Crazy stories of shooting 5 or 6 deer in a day.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In very Liberal based states deer populations have been a problem. I met a guy in my travels from Maryland and he absolutely slaughters deer. Last time I talked to him he shot 12 deer last year because very few people hunt them or allow access. Crazy stories of shooting 5 or 6 deer in a day.
He is going to come down with the gout. Crazy eastern bastard

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.bowhunting.com/article/is-night-hunting-for-deer-coming-soon/
Unless you’re chasing after coons, hogs, or coyotes, night hunting is pretty much outlawed across most of the country. Particularly when it comes to the pursuit of deer. That kind of behavior has strictly been limited to the local outlaws and poachers.

However, in the state of Arkansas, there’s been talk about the possibility of night hunting for deer as the ideal means of management. And the outdoors editor for the Arkansas Democrat Gazette even seems to have all the reasons why night hunting for deer is such a good idea. In his recent article, outdoors editor, Bryan Hendricks, started off with the following…

As Arkansas Game and Fish Commissioner Bill Jones said in the commission’s last meeting, critical thinkers reserve the right to change their opinions when they get new and better information.

As we learn more about chronic wasting disease, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, hunters and non-hunters should be open to adapting their opinions about deer hunting.
The article goes on to say: Accumulated data from studying chronic wasting disease compels us to adapt our deer hunting doctrine yet again. It also tells us that practices that have long been illegal might be logical solutions.

According to the Game and Fish Commission, deer spread CWD through physical and passive contact. An infected deer can spread CWD prions through grooming (licking another deer) or through merely touching noses. They can also spread it by consuming food that’s contaminated with the urine or saliva of an infected deer. Deer cover a lot of territory. If a local herd has a high prevalence rate, the chances are greater for infected deer from that herd to spread CWD to areas of lower prevalence.

Night hunting is a logical solution. It is illegal to hunt deer at night because it is so easy to kill deer at night. That is precisely why it would be an effective tool for reducing CWD prevalence. AGFC staff shoots deer at night to gather test samples. Citizen hunters could take vastly more samples and vastly increase the data pool.
You may want to get ahead of the game and start your own black camo pattern. you could market it as TEAM REAL DARK and build affinity for the brand and make it relatable to the outdoor enthusiast. Everybody wants to be the part of a team and TEAM REALDARK would be a leader for higher profitability.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84