Minnow Die off

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one of those frabile minnow buckets that is insulated, has a bubbler built into it, and a big net to hold the minnows in. Seems so for this season the minnows last under a day in that thing.
Maybe the minnows are weak, and give up to soon? Or they are on a death spiral prior to purchase?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one of those frabile minnow buckets that is insulated, has a bubbler built into it, and a big net to hold the minnows in. Seems so for this season the minnows last under a day in that thing.
Maybe the minnows are weak, and give up to soon? Or they are on a death spiral prior to purchase?
gotta put ice in the water,, frozen water bottles work best.. Keep it cold and they will last long time with aerator.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have scrubbed it each time we replaced the water, different batches of minnows and same result. we have noticed some darting around like shock when replaced into colder water. have 2 larger aquarium bubblers

creek Chubbs, I keep separate and cold with a lid as they will jump out, but we will only keep those sparingly

fish are biting, starting to pick up on crawlers and leeches though so I may be done with minnows till Sept/Oct anyway

but like i said this has never happened before so thanks for the insight.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can i be bold enough to ask about your poly tank setup ? will it stay cold enough in a garage ? what kind of filtration setup ?
300 gallon watering tank. 2 Koi pond filters. 1 4-stone aerator. Fake plants. Pea gravel spread on the bottom of the tank. 1 water chiller with water being circulated with a submersible pump. Water stays a reasonably cool 62 degrees outside on the south facing side of our house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67