Missouri River rise

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm talking more about about the area before the T. Will make getting to the river tough especially since knowing the game and fish they will probably shut the main gate.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disagree I had a farmer told this week they waited to plant because it was to wet. With the technology in ag they dont need as much moisture

- - - Updated - - -

Bismarck biggest crybaby town regarding flooding;. Fact 75% of the flood prep work they did in 2011 would of failed.
This is an odd thing to say. Curious what you mean by the “biggest crybaby town regarding flooding”? All I remember was a town coming together helping strangers. People who’s houses that were not even in the flood plane were down there throwing sandbags. As did I. And the dike they built actually did save a lot of people from the flood. Some crying because they could possibly lose their house in a flood makes them a crybaby?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Honored Member
I still don't understand why people buy houses on FLOOD PLAINS even with dam systems in place. Seems like common sense not to buy there.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Disagree I had a farmer told this week they waited to plant because it was to wet. With the technology in ag they dont need as much moisture

- - - Updated - - -

Bismarck biggest crybaby town regarding flooding;. Fact 75% of the flood prep work they did in 2011 would of failed.

No whining here. I did not live in an endangered area, but helped out a lot of those who did. Helped at the sandbag locations, helped move furniture out of basements, helped install sump pumps.

I now live where there is potential flooding. Not worried, but I'm aware of things. I have spare sump pumps (plural) and a large-ish generator to run them if the power goes out. I've already told neighbors they can run cords to my garage.

No whining. No crying. No regrets.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still don't understand why people buy houses on FLOOD PLAINS even with dam systems in place. Seems like common sense not to buy there.

According to the article these were the cheaper lots. My how times have changed
Screenshot_20180619-090758_Chrome.jpg

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to the article these were the cheaper lots. My how times have changed
52774270_2235393109832873_733247601436000256_n.jpg
Just becasue something is for sale doesn't mean that is what it will sell for. That lot has basically been for sale since 2011 for $150,000. Its been listed and removed 3 times.

Pedro

Established Member
The amount of fish coming outta the hook and hitting the tables I figured woulda kept the lake levelish

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many fish are getting dumped through the tunnels? I recall back in 97 the river was white with dead fish as far as you could see south of the dam

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many fish are getting dumped through the tunnels? I recall back in 97 the river was white with dead fish as far as you could see south of the dam

Lotsa dead fish on shore during the fall (after the boating ban lifted) of 2011 too. Lotsa fat eagles bending tree branches up at the tailrace. Lots pelicans swimming around holding their guts, croaking "why did I eat all that?".

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well yeah they're notoriously not the best forecasters ever. But let's be realistic here they're going to have the Missouri River at the second highest outflows they've ever had it from that dam in the history of that dam and that's still 1.5 ft below the BOTTOM edge of flood stage. Tell me of any other River in the state that has a dam on it I E the James the Cheyenne the Heart the Souris that have literally not even gotten to flood stage more than once involving anything other than an ice Jam. Point being the corp catches a lot of shit but they have one hell of an exemplary track record on the Missouri River of keeping her under control to the point that they are now saddled with ridiculously impossibly high expectations that are completely unrealistic.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well yeah they're notoriously not the best forecasters ever. But let's be realistic here they're going to have the Missouri River at the second highest outflows they've ever had it from that dam in the history of that dam and that's still 1.5 ft below the bottom edge of flood stage. Tell me of any other River in the state that has a dam on it I E the James the Cheyenne the Heart the Souris but have literally not even gotten to flood stage more than once involving anything other than an ice Jam. Point being the corp catches a lot of shit but they have one hell of a an exemplary track record on the Missouri River of keeping her under control to the point they are now saddled with ridiculously impossibly high expectations that are completely unrealistic.

Well, this and every a-hole with a computer knows better than the corps, who have been taking care of, and watching the flows through it since they built it 65 years ago.

Everybody has the answer, right? It's easy to do it (manage the river) except the C. O. E. is filled with a bunch of dummies, who don't care about flooding? They actually want flooding?

Sheesh guys. It's not so cut and dried, and I guarantee it's not as easy as some would have you believe.

I don't know anybody who works for the COE, and I don't have a dog in this fight (except that I live in South Bismarck), but cut these guys some slack. I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. People bitch about them as much as they bitch about Trump.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fishermen blame to corps for letting too much water out, the homeowners blame the Corp for not letting enough out....can't win. All I know is there's an astronomical amount of water coming down the system this year. Oh, and the fishing is awesome!

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the amount of arm chair Hydrologists and Meteorologists on this site is quite amazing. Lots of experts here. Its easy, right?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well yeah they're notoriously not the best forecasters ever. But let's be realistic here they're going to have the Missouri River at the second highest outflows they've ever had it from that dam in the history of that dam and that's still 1.5 ft below the BOTTOM edge of flood stage. Tell me of any other River in the state that has a dam on it I E the James the Cheyenne the Heart the Souris that have literally not even gotten to flood stage more than once involving anything other than an ice Jam. Point being the corp catches a lot of shit but they have one hell of an exemplary track record on the Missouri River of keeping her under control to the point that they are now saddled with ridiculously impossibly high expectations that are completely unrealistic.

Dean they may have had a pretty good record the first 53 years but since they changed the operations manual in 06 their track record is not stellar. The problem they have is going into the season with too much water in the lake. You seem to be overlooking the fact that the lake is projected to be 2' or less from topping out which could result in higher releases with a rain event. I don't think we are done for the year.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean they may have had a pretty good record the first 53 years but since they changed the operations manual in 06 their track record is not stellar. The problem they have is going into the season with too much water in the lake. You seem to be overlooking the fact that the lake is projected to be 2' or less from topping out which could result in higher releases with a rain event. I don't think we are done for the year.
I'm not overlooking it I know exactly where we're at and know it's exactly where we were in 97! Realty is I am literally sitting in the flood zone right now as I type this so I have a dog in this hunt and that dog says the corp is doing a pretty good job. And as far as the new Master operational plan that came around in 2006 I'm guessing you're speaking of the one that was highly influenced by all the people in Bismarck bitching their heads off like MSA said about lack of water in the Lakes. You know that time when people were literally asking the state of North Dakota to buy up the barge industry down in Missouri because that was the reason they were letting all the water out. That was one of my favorite points in 2011 going back through old posts and finding the same people that were bitching about the corp letting not enough water out of the lake we're also the same ones that were bitching just a couple years before that they'd let out too much. In the end the corps is in a damned if you do damned if you don't set up and will be villains for somebody no matter what.

With that additional foot coming down I am very interested to see if Fox and merriweather's survives it. The water is already at the top of the ramp on both as of last night and both have fairly low spots right before the launching point that are likely going to go under making it a little bit of a bitch to backup. Meriwether's especially has a low spot that runs better part of 30 yards to the South on the left side of the ramp that's going to likely be filling up today although the right side of the ramp is distinctly higher. Either way we are still drastically different than 2011 when we were already flowing 150000 CFS at this point. hell we need 15,000 CFS more just to get the half of that.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, the amount of arm chair Hydrologists and Meteorologists on this site is quite amazing. Lots of experts here. Its easy, right?

Yep you are right we don't know shit

06-04-2018, 08:02 PM #7 Obi-Wan

user-online.png

VIP Member
Blue_Glow_Forum_Ranks_vip.png

reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png

Join DateMay 2015LocationBismarckPosts1,334NDA Points78,944NDA Level100
Thumbs Up
Received: 1,585
Given: 1,166

If the inflows keep where they are at and the corp doesn't increase outflows the lake will top out at 1854 in about 10 to 15 days. With the recent rains they have no choice but to crank up the discharge at garrison but to what 50,000, 60,000, 70,000 or maybe more but you can count on the river to be roaring all summer​

0 [h=6]
up.png
Thumbs Up[/h] None...

up_dis.png

I don't always get negative reps..... But when I do it's because some crybaby couldn't handle my posts!

progress.gif
Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 52
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19