Molar Root Canal......Yay...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't listen to the guys without any pain threshold. Just had one today at face and jaw. Novacaine only. No tylenol yet. The statin diet is helping I will admit that. But really it's a breeze pull and plant.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at dat bad boy

Attachments

PXL_20201203_023911335.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next time we are drinking I'll tell you some stories, I have lots.
Ever since a baseball bat knocked out a good portion of my adult teeth when I was 12.
But I've always had really good dentists I guess and never had to endure the pain that these other guys have gone through, holly hell!
Hopefully you have a well qualified one and it goes smooth Mathew.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Root canals ain’t too bad. Last December I had four root canals done in two days. Just nova Caine. Was having a cold adult beverage both nights.
all remnants from about ten years ago when I broke a tooth with a hammer. Ended up killing all four front teeth on the bottom. Even though the tooth I broke had two root canals on it before last December. Bad work by the dentist I was going too I guess

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go get Dentures and be done with it, had one root canal what a waste of money

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to the dentist makes the hair on my arm stand up,,I make my dentist give gas before the caine,I don't want to feel a thing and it works.

Damn steel shot got me 4 roto's since the mid 80's today I use a small metal detector to locate the ambush steel shot.

My deal is I didn't want to feel any pain or hear ripping or grinding just wanted to come back to its all done,damn dentist did fuck up my mustach tho cutting the balloon out they put in so shit doesn't fall down your throat,prick.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahab.. upper tooth or lower? Both my extractions were upper on one side then the other. I UNDERSTAND uppers can be more painful as roots MAY extend into the sinus area which is more sensitive. I THINK the gas option that was presented to me was like 3-$400 more expensive so went with novacaine. Both the dentist and surgeon said they SHOULD be simple extractions so went with novacaine.. The 2nd extraction was NOT SiMPLE, but complicated. Still waiting for the bill on that one.
Hey short. i dont need you preaching about pain threshold of which you dont have a clue from one person to another so lighten up buddy!

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a couple root canals and they are not that bad, I even fell asleep during one. I was up all night with two glasses, one with water and the other to spit to keep the pain bearable. I would take a mouth full of room temp water which apparently reduced the swelling and pain but when the pain would start to come back I would spit and repeat which I did all night and a good portion of the next day. Originally the dentist put me on an antibiotic and pain pills which made me loopy and did very little for the pain. I called and convinced the dentist to do the root canal because the pills did nothing for the pain. Once in the chair and given the Novocain the relief of the pain and the day and a half with no sleep it was lights out.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
She’s the upper model, second from the back. At one point I had 4 Advil in my system at bed time and it wasn’t doing a thing. Added 2 oxys and it still throbbed but I drifted into a semi-happy land and slept fo 3 hours. The next day I used booze and that worked just fine, but I felt like garbage the following day. The thing has been a nemesis.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
concentrate on something else other than the pain and it goes away. I would just take that thing out --- go the implant route.

True stories no bullshit -- I fell asleep in the endodontist chair while be worked on just novocaine ; same with F and J when i had my adult wisdoms out (just novocaine) You get a little worried before you one walks into the place and then when they are doing the grinding or wrenching a guy nods off.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure the hygienist is hot, makes everything better.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
oxys scare the bejesus out of me

I'm not great at self limitation

I turned them down actually. Wife had a couple from a previous surgery that I tried. Didn’t seem to kill much pain, but I cared way less about it.

- - - Updated - - -

concentrate on something else other than the pain and it goes away. I would just take that thing out --- go the implant route.

True stories no bullshit -- I fell asleep in the endodontist chair while be worked on just novocaine ; same with F and J when i had my adult wisdoms out (just novocaine) You get a little worried before you one walks into the place and then when they are doing the grinding or wrenching a guy nods off.

I can get a treble hook buried in my hand and tug on it with a plier while others get queasy, but this thing is another animal.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
oxys scare the bejesus out of me

I'm not great at self limitation

Agree on the oxy! After first extraction surgeon gave me some tylenol and IB and prescribed a few oxys( 6 if i recall). When i went to pharmacy i thought pharmacist was looking me over since he was dispensing oxy. Since i had gauze sticking out of my mouth and could barely speak, I think he thought it was a legit prescription and continued on with directions to me regarding taking it. As soon as i got home i told the wife that unless pain is unbearable i would just be taking IB and tylenol for any pain as i did not want to take oxy. I never did take any of those oxys and flushed them down the toilet.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hernia surgery was slightly painful, but the Oxy made me want to puke, felt like I was on a never ending tilt awhirl. Never took a second dose.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny reading all of this, I have been through it all if the dentist is truely good get root canal by pro $1500 to $2500 then cap bastard another $1500, or pull it get the implant $5000 to $7500. Nerves of steel help they wanted to but me under when I did the implant I said no they thought really!!! it was no biggy. worst one was I broke tooth in back 4 rooted bastard had to go in and they took needle nose pliers and busted and cracked it to dig it out I think the blood pressure hit a we low that was a fun one. In all life was fun each time.

DrillNFill

Got a kick out of some of the responses... lol. If you need any advice let me know... alternate a dose of ibu and tylenol every 4-6 hours... can try alternating warm/hot rag and ice... antibiotics should kick in 24-36 hrs after you start them and then it should start settling down. Good luck!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I'm off to see the drill master. I'm pretty sure it's still somewhat infected. We shall see...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tooth structure is damaged as well. Time for a pull and implant. Fun times.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure the hygienist is hot, makes everything better.

She had a great personality.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok my story first of all I seem be more evolved than most because I have no wisdom teeth as I was born without them or I am not wise at all, the jury is still out on that one.

this summer went to the dentist (the dentist and all the employees are female) had a bad cavity so root canal and crown time. Sent me to another dentist that all he does is root canals. had no issues with root canal really didn't have any pain after.

in fact I received a check from them after as I evidently overpaid or the insurance paid better than they guessed.

now for the bad, drove the 3 1/2 hours to Bismarck only to get a call about an hour before my appointment time that the lab broke the crown. so another appointment date and long drive for the crown. no problems since then.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88