Moose vs Man

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
New #1
Not sure I believe this but...Cool nonetheless

From The Daily Inter Lake
Kalispell, Montana, July 16, 1923 –
Mute evidence of a tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, park ranger, in the vicinity of Many Glaciers chalet, Glacier National Park.

In a thicket about three miles north, Mr. McKelvey ran across the skeleton of a moose, and upon closer investigation, found parts of a human skeleton, which clearly showed that some hunter years ago had shot and wounded a moose and then been killed by the animal. Close by was found a Springfield 45-70 rifle with the breech open, and a shell which had stuck told how the hunter had lost his life. He had evidently fought to a finish for a broken knife (that) was found on the ground.

Old-timers in the vicinity of the park are of the opinion the skeleton is that of a French-Canadian trapper who disappeared about 18 years ago, but none remember his name. There is no doubt that the man lost his life a long time ago, for the bones are bleached and the rubber shoes which the hunter was wearing are badly weather-worn.

Mr. McKelvey got an excellent photograph of this tragedy of the hills. It shows the two skeletons where the combatants fell after (they finished) their fight, together with the rifle and other equipment of the hunter.

0ffd5ddc1a1d27664de23edac3a01dc4.jpg

View attachment 84951 View attachment 84951

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/moose-v-man-some-really-old-news/

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well there is something you don't see every day. Very neat if real. Crazy way to go.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like I said in post...I'm not sure I believe that. Would rib cage of moose still be intact like that after 15-20yrs???

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like allot of color in that shot for middle of nowhere 1923. The bones can definitely make it that long but I would expect lots of plant growth through the ribs and skull and what not.

Last edited:

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the more likely scenario is hunter shoots moose and while field dressing it, bear claims kill and kills hunter.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since it is all a guess. I say it is a confirmed hungry Sasquatch . :)

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Theory: wife finds Hunter cleaning his kill while he was supposed to be running errands instead. Wife nags hunter to death

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One question I had was "It's sometimes hard to find sheds in the spring that haven't been chewed on by rabbits, squirrels, or rodents. How did these horns last so long without a lot of visual evidence of chewing?"

No matter what happened it couldn't have been pleasant way to go.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, lots of connective tissue left
fake news
Yeah I was just noticing that too after looking at the bones once again after the rodent chewing comment. Far too much discoloration those bones should be bleached crazy white by this point with the only parts being discolored being the parts that are against the ground. Those bones are only a few months old.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Squirrels are originally native to Colorado and Oklahoma. They didn't migrate north into Montana til the 1950's.
Perfectly reasonable explanation of the lack of chews on the antlers.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrels are originally native to Colorado and Oklahoma. They didn't migrate north into Montana til the 1950's.
Perfectly reasonable explanation of the lack of chews on the antlers.

Ha!! That made me chuckle. Thanks!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picture seems very clear. I don't think their cameras were that great back then.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The author of this article was obviously a libturd...cause it’s fake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88