Mother Nature can be such a BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This makes me happy after dealing with bernie the owl not making it i was wondering if goodness still exists in this world but ragety ann has proved it does .

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was thinking along the lines of juan... now that you've fattened her up, she should taste pretty good next fall. strange creatures we humans.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose that does still get run down during the rut. Maybe she didn't like the buck that was trying to breed her and she really ran from him.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thumbs Up

I hope she births a couple tasty youngin's

If she does have fawns I'm guessing they will be late. I think she probably cycled in mid to late December after she put some weight on as the bucks were chasing her around the backyard for about 3 nights about that time frame. That's my best guess, but who knows.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
deer-dead-fr-feeding-thumb%202.jpg

Don't Feed the Deer: How Corn Can Be a Killer
by Scott Bestul

The old saw “killing them with kindness” was at play this week in the northeast. According to this press release issued byNew Hampshire Department of Fish & Game, citizens in the town of South Hampton found six dead whitetails in a wooded, suburban lot on March 20. State biologists and a warden responded to the call and, after a brief search, discovered an additional half dozen dead deer. After examining the animals at a nearby veterinary lab, authorities confirmed that at least two of the whitetails were victims of enterotoxemia, a condition directly linked to feeding deer—primarily corn—in winter.

To shed more light on this incident, I called my friend Kip Adams. In addition to serving as the Education/Outreach coordinator for the QDMA, Adams is certified wildlife biologist and the former Deer Project Leader for the NHDFG. Adams was not only familiar with the case, but of many others. “It’s actually fairly common, and why state agencies generally advise people to not feed deer,” he said.

According to Adams, wintering whitetails—especially in the North—subsist largely on woody browse, and not much of it, for the duration of the winter. “Then, all of a sudden, you introduce a high-energy food in large amounts, and the result is not good for deer,” he says. “The whitetail rumen, or stomach, is full of microorganisms that help digest food, but it takes them at least a week to adjust to each new food type taken in. If those microorganisms can’t adapt by taking in small amounts over a period of time, the result is such a shock to the system it can kill deer pretty quickly.”

Adams says that you see the phenomenon—though with less-devastating results—each spring, as deer transition from woody browse to green plants.

“In a spring where green-up comes quickly and dramatically, you’ll see deer with very loose droppings,” he notes. “Their stomach is adjusting to these leafy, water-rich foods it hasn’t had in months. The difference is, they usually have time to make the transition, and the food isn’t there in such abundance. They have to work for it a little.”

Adams completely understands the desire to feed deer when conditions get rough. “It’s the most natural feeling, especially for a whitetail lover, to want to help deer through a rugged winter. We dealt with it every year when I was in New Hampshire, and the worse the winter, the more people wanted to feed. It was a constant education process that, as this case illustrates, is ongoing.”

Though Adams and other professionals say the best idea is to simply not feed deer at all, he said feeding done wisely can work. “The ideal scenario for someone wanting to feed would be to start in November, before the first snow, and not quit until spring,” he says. “And start with small amounts, especially in areas where whitetails aren’t exposed to ag crops. My guess is that if the people in this latest case had just started slow and given the deer time to transition to corn, they might have been successful. But that’s another natural human response; its been a tough winter, the deer are looking bad and acting hungry, let’s pitch as much food at them as we can. Generally, it’s just not a good idea.”

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Feeding only corn in an area with little else is a bad idea. That's why I feed sunflowers, soybeans, and hay with the corn. This spring I'm planting some dogwoods to increase the amount of browse they will have during winter. Seems the browse is what gets hit the hardest during a bad winter. Everything from about 6 feet and down is mowed off in alot of cases. Good info V!!!!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been feeding deer corn for years and never seen a dead one in the vicinity of the corn pile. I think the deer in north dakota are very acclimated to eating corn. That being said, deer cant survive just on corn so during a winter with heavy snow dumping a big corn pile out without hay is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 22
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13