Motor trouble

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two weeks ago, the Mercury runs fine at wot and I was able to restart it multiple times without issue. Today I get on the water and it doesn't turn over. Take the cover off the flywheel and the starter motor is only turning the flywheel 10 to 25 degrees. So I keep bumping it, same result, eventually the water starts to boil in the battery. So I drag the boat home, remove the spark plugs, and the starter turns but sounds weak. Put the plugs back in, and it is back to turning 20 degrees at a time. Tried a different battery, same result. Compression 120 across all four cylinders.

safe to assume the starter is shot?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you positive both batteries were fully charged ? If it spun fast last time, your starter should have still been good but something must have got hot if you boiled the battery. Did you feel the starter ? It might be a bad connection or cable. I'd throw some jumper cables on and see what happens.

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
my cable connections were loose on my cranking battery on tuesday and had basically same issue. Hope that is all it is.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can jumper the starter with cables from your vehicle to see if it spins good. If not need a new starter.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, I dug into it again this morning and removed the starter. Behind it was covered in 2 stroke oil and gasoline. Turns out one of the bleed system lines broke and sprayed a good amount. At this point I don't know if I should be relieved it didn't catch fire? So I clean up the starter, take a jumper cable to it, and it sounds like garbage. It would barely turn when I had the pressure gauge connected to one cylinder for the pressure test. So a new starter, and I'll have to redo the bleed lines and who knows what condition the other hoses are in. The oil pump on these elpto' s has always worried me. Basically my boating season is officially over.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11