MPG towing the boat

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
But at least we actually can get 20 without a trailer which is how most miles are driven ;)

... while driving 60 mph in the passing lane.

My tundra will touch 18 if I drive like a dickhead too. :D

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
... while driving 60 mph in the passing lane.

My tundra will touch 18 if I drive like a dickhead too. :D

Last year i did a 2,000 mile trip out west in my 5.3 GM, 80-85 the entire way up and down mountains with a bed full of gear, overall trip averaged 19.3. Yes when i pull a trailer it goes down significantly like all other trucks. Honestly I like the Tundras, In fact when I started looking at new trucks they were near the top of my list, but they have by far the worst gas mileage of the half tons, its not even close, Its ok to admit that.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Last year i did a 2,000 mile trip out west in my 5.3 GM, 80-85 the entire way up and down mountains with a bed full of gear, overall trip averaged 19.3. Yes when i pull a trailer it goes down significantly like all other trucks. Honestly I like the Tundras, In fact when I started looking at new trucks they were near the top of my list, but they have by far the worst gas mileage of the half tons, its not even close, Its ok to admit that.

Yes the Tundra mileage sucks and it's only thing I don't like about mine. But I figure I'll recoup all that gas $$ and then some when I'm not replacing ball joints, gaskets, fuel pumps, wheel bearings and transmissions around 100k like I have on all the GM's I've owned. ;-)

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes the Tundra mileage sucks and it's only thing I don't like about mine. But I figure I'll recoup all that gas $$ and then some when I'm not replacing ball joints, gaskets, fuel pumps, wheel bearings and transmissions around 100k like I have on all the GM's I've owned. ;-)
Clearly you have GM's confused with Dodge, which is the only brand I refuse to even look at anymore because of that.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The trucks keep getting uglier each year. I can't tell the difference between a 1/2 ton Ram and GMC other than that 8 point end gate. Any truck can be a lemon. I've owned three Tundra's now (08, 17, now an 11) and all of them have been great to me. I had a 3/4 Ram diesel and it was great to me as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

It's not just a Tundra thing, it's a Toyota thing. I drive a 4Runner as my kid hauler and it's fuel efficiency is below that of the equivalent GM and Ford options. Its dependability has been excellent though, a little over 60k miles in 4 years and she's not seen the shop for anything other than oil changes and tires. So while it's still fairly new, I am happy with its dependability.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, it did go in to get the Takada airbag inflater replacement under a recall. Those, of course, go across many makes and models of vehicles.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's not just a Tundra thing, it's a Toyota thing. I drive a 4Runner as my kid hauler and it's fuel efficiency is below that of the equivalent GM and Ford options. Its dependability has been excellent though, a little over 60k miles in 4 years and she's not seen the shop for anything other than oil changes and tires. So while it's still fairly new, I am happy with its dependability.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, it did go in to get the Takada airbag inflater replacement under a recall. Those, of course, go across many makes and models of vehicles.

So wih you being a 4Runner owner Allen, let me ask you...the wife and I are gonna trade in her 2013 Rav 4 later this year...we've narrowed down the new vehicle option to either a 2019 4Runner or 2019 Honda Ridgeline. Both have a 5K tow limit...which is fine...boat and trailer only 3K. What are your thoughts...thanks!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So wih you being a 4Runner owner Allen, let me ask you...the wife and I are gonna trade in her 2013 Rav 4 later this year...we've narrowed down the new vehicle option to either a 2019 4Runner or 2019 Honda Ridgeline. Both have a 5K tow limit...which is fine...boat and trailer only 3K. What are your thoughts...thanks!

4runner ... the ridgeline is the gay of the pick ups

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've used my 4Runner for pulling my 1750 Lund, which is probably just over 3k loaded on the trailer. Granted, while my primary boat tow rig is an F250 and I can forget the boat is even behind it on long trips, the few times I've used the Toyota to tow the boat I thought it was a little light with the boat behind it (no trailer brakes on that setup). I'd probably get accustomed to it given enough time, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Granted, I'm guessing I'd think the same about using a Ridgeline. Plenty of power to tow, more of a stopping and stability thing.

The reason I went with the 4Runner was because I needed something with the 3rd row seating for when my galpal and I are taking our combined 4 kids on road trips, it's been great in that aspect even though I need to put a luggage carrier on top. In general the luggage carrier makes the gas mileage go down and is really noticeable in strong sidewinds.

I know a guy who has a Ridgeline that pulls a slightly smaller Bayliner a couple times a year. He hasn't squawked about it, so I think I'd probably let the other features between the two be the decider. That basically being the Ridgeline is kind of a girly pickup, whereas the 4Runner is step up into an actual SUV when compared to the Rav 4's crossover styling. I guess, if you're sure you'd never need to haul 6 people, I'd probably go with the Honda for the ability to put things in the back end and out of the cab.

In looking real briefly, the Ridgeline seems easier on the pocketbook at the start. I paid around $37k for my very basic 4Runner back in 2015, looks like that puts a person more in the middle of the road Ridgeline than at the very base model.

- - - Updated - - -

wags and martinslanding ;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl

I agree, but he can get away with calling it the little lady's outfit.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks Allen...and Wags/martinslanding...couldn't agree more...if I were considering the Ridgeline for myself I'd turn in my man card...and then make a reservation for a week at the Birdcage! Yea the wife had a Honda Pilot...loved it...so she is partial to the Ridgeline. Gotta drive them both...ask if I can hook up the boat...pull it around the block! I had a Tacoma with the V6 4.0...good motor.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The trucks keep getting uglier each year. I can't tell the difference between a 1/2 ton Ram and GMC other than that 8 point end gate. Any truck can be a lemon. I've owned three Tundra's now (08, 17, now an 11) and all of them have been great to me. I had a 3/4 Ram diesel and it was great to me as well.

I’m having a hard time looking at the new pickups as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
FWIW, my 4Runner that rarely pulls is averaging 16.9 mpg with a man behind the wheel.

Yeah, I'm rarely left in the dust when the light turns green, but that's not market average at all for a vehicle of that size.

It will get 20.5 on the highway at something slightly above recommended speed, but that's still a bit below the advertised 22 mpg.

p.s. The Pilot came in second on my list when I bought the 4Runner. Great ride, comfy as hell, less pain on the pocketbook, but still couldn't get past the fact it just felt feminine. I guess that's much the same as the Ridgeline.

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My '17 Tundra advertised 13city and 17highway, I rarely hit 17 and my speeds varied from 68-82mph. Most of the time it was mid 15 to low 16 mpg. That 38gal fuel tank is just amazing even though it'll cost a guy $80 or more to fill her full.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a chevy cheyenne 72 model with 2 18gal saddle tanks and a 21gal behind the seat. that thing would go forever bettwen fill ups.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I look down and the computer says I'm getting 7 mpg I just smile and readjust my red cap. At that instant, somewhere in western ND a pumper gets a warm fuzzy feeling in his gut knowing he's a critical cog in america's energy independence machine.

The circle of life.

- - - Updated - - -

Just kidding - I hate seeing anything under 10. Ishta.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88