Mtn Climber~

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Indent entirely disagree with this but I also think all people who commit to protecting and serving in these capacities need to be held a countable. That is what the court system was set up for.
I sure hope you are kidding just a bit, with this, otherwise after being in the profession for decades, you sir are an idiot

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I sure hope you are kidding just a bit, with this, otherwise after being in the profession for decades, you sir are an idiot

I meant no disrespect to the ones who put there neck on the line to save and help other. This is very commendable. My dad was in law enforcement my whole life and most of the guys would do anything for anyone. Noticed I said most. Some guys would "drag" there feet for personal reasons. Shouldn't these guys be held accountable?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my not overly long ago younger days I may have some activities that have dangerous potential outcomes similar but not climbing but boarding down hill. So if I get into a back country mountain area either hike or helicopter with my group and I made a bad line decision with over a cliff or through trees or rocks and smack one at high speed or even an avalanche, in a remote area with poor access that is our decision. This is why the guys I'm with were very few because if SHIT GOES WRONG you CANNOT rely that RESCUE will be there in a drop of a hat. I have been there for shit hit fan scary moments and he'll I should have a broken back to this day, a rescue crew Johnny on the spot could not have done anything different or better than my boys right there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another could/should have had broken instead of bruised ribs, another should have had more than a concussion, another could have had a shattered leg. You take risks long enough at higher levels things will happen, even if is easy gimme stuff that's is sometimes just a dangerous because you aren't focused and either are the other guys as it's just to easy and routine

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem here is not that he so much expected to be rescued as the fact is the rescuers were fully capable of rescuing him most likely in time but through a series of screw-ups dropped the ball and showed up a day late and a dollar short. I normally would be in the camp of well sucks to be him and his family are just being whiny babies and looking for easy money but there's definitely a bit of validity to the point they're trying to make in this particular case.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Again you CANNOT always rely on rescue. In emergency calls if 1 thing or 1 person mishandled a situation things like this happens. May it have been mishandled-yes, if it was truly handled perfect and a great recovery would he have survived-nobody knows. Maybe I have a different view point but in the end risk is risk and nothing is guaranteed, if you want to play without safety nets remember anything can go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

When the guys I was with went out we always assumed help might not come fast enough so we tried to be prepared but you can't prepared for everything.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know when I hit the button on the spot I hope rescue comes it's why I pay for the service. I was in a hell hole last year if any one of is four got hurt we would have needed SARS.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't believe no one sees the side of the family. Yes it's a ridiculous amount of money. But no one will say this situation was poorly handled. I just hope of I am out doing something I enjoy (hunting the badlands in nd For example) and if I get hurt that our rescue teams here would do everything they could in the most swift manner they can. Doesn't sound like this guy was hanging of the side of a mountain. Sounds like he was climbing a well known area with a steep grade. All you guys who have hunted elk in the mountains must be adventure seekers and don't have the right to speedy rescue if something would go wrong.

You can't sue yourself. Why submit a 10million bill to taxpayers. Maybe all of this support should be private pay and the blades on the copter don't spin unless if somebody ponys up

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alot of funding comes from snowmobile license fees and trail fees so it's not just all tax payers money
There are private companies who also assist. I didn't even read this story the 18 hour work days are kicking my ass. From what I get a guy died because SARS didn't respond fast enough? I know going in the mountains every time you have to take a certain amount of responsibility and you might not come home....isn't that part of the draw or adventure?

- - - Updated - - -

If I go down I hope help comes fast if not spread my ashes on the hill and carry on with life.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy making the call imo should be sued no sense of urgency. Hopefully Oregon has some limit on the amount like most States do. Sheriff's office will be part of it too if law allows. Imo if a lawsuit is allowed and I was a county commissioner i would go private contractor and say charge the sht out of people just like the hospital does. 911 and sheriff is paid out of gen funds and to and taxes on your cell phone

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Again you CANNOT always rely on rescue. In emergency calls if 1 thing or 1 person mishandled a situation things like this happens. May it have been mishandled-yes, if it was truly handled perfect and a great recovery would he have survived-nobody knows. Maybe I have a different view point but in the end risk is risk and nothing is guaranteed, if you want to play without safety nets remember anything can go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

When the guys I was with went out we always assumed help might not come fast enough so we tried to be prepared but you can't prepared for everything.
So let's throw this hypothetical situation out there. So your boating on Lake Sakakawea and your boat broke down and you're taking on a little water you call 911 and you tell them you're in trouble out there but your boat may not sink it's just definitely having some issues and you figure you might want to give them a heads up that there might be a problem. They then pass you off to the corp of Engineers since it's their Lake even though you told them that's not what they do. You call back not too much later telling them that the boats definitely starting to have some problems and you could really use some help! Then you have to call back again a couple hours later wondering where the hell they are telling them that the boats really in trouble now and your waiting on them. Sometime around this point the 911 operator decides that hey maybe somebody better get on this and finally dispatches the request on to the proper people instead of passing it back and forth with corp. Unfortunately by the time they arrive the boat is sunk and due to cold water temperature you're dead.... Gee I wonder if your family might not be thinking about a lawsuit do to their incompetence since if they would have acted the way they're trained to be there is an extremely high likelihood that you would still be alive. Sure you were the one that put yourself out there but they have a job to do and it is in fact their job and when they like anyone else F it up that bad there's going to be some legal consequences you can bank on it.

rapala_09

Honored Member
So let's throw this hypothetical situation out there. So your boating on Lake Sakakawea and your boat broke down and you're taking on a little water you call 911 and you tell them you're in trouble out there but your boat may not sink it's just definitely having some issues and you figure you might want to give them a heads up that there might be a problem. They then pass you off to the corp of Engineers since it's their Lake even though you told them that's not what they do. You call back not too much later telling them that the boats definitely starting to have some problems and you could really use some help! Then you have to call back again a couple hours later wondering where the hell they are telling them that the boats really in trouble now and your waiting on them. Sometime around this point the 911 operator decides that hey maybe somebody better get on this and finally dispatches the request on to the proper people instead of passing it back and forth with corp. Unfortunately by the time they arrive the boat is sunk and due to cold water temperature you're dead.... Gee I wonder if your family might not be thinking about a lawsuit do to their incompetence since if they would have acted the way they're trained to be there is an extremely high likelihood that you would still be alive. Sure you were the one that put yourself out there but they have a job to do and it is in fact their job and when they like anyone else F it up that bad there's going to be some legal consequences you can bank on it.

This analogy doesn't even make sense.....
It sounds like the situation was not handled as well as it could have been, but if the procedures were followed, there is no case here.
There is a ton of stuff that's not made clear and that I would venture to say most people here have no idea about.
Who was the correct agency to handle this? I am not really sure.
The fact that the National guard took 2 1/2 hours to get the bird in the air... Maybe it takes that long to mobilize a helicopter unexpectedly. Or maybe there was only one bird available and they had an issue that needed to be addressed before taking off.

My point is, procedures don't just go out the window because someone is hurt.....
maybe it could have been done quicker. But there's too many unknowns from that short little article. It all sounds ludacris to me.
It is a sad deal though.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is a fact from living in the high country for years (ski resorts) controlled avalanche of any ski area you assume full reponsioblity if you get hurt when you purchase a lift ticket period,then we have OB (out of bounds) areas where one passes thru a gate your on your own here,gloves come off if you get hurt and as in this case any rescue if professional rescue is needed said hurt person is accountable for any and all expenses incurred for the rescue.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This analogy doesn't even make sense.....
It sounds like the situation was not handled as well as it could have been, but if the procedures were followed, there is no case here.
There is a ton of stuff that's not made clear and that I would venture to say most people here have no idea about.
Who was the correct agency to handle this? I am not really sure.
The fact that the National guard took 2 1/2 hours to get the bird in the air... Maybe it takes that long to mobilize a helicopter unexpectedly. Or maybe there was only one bird available and they had an issue that needed to be addressed before taking off.

My point is, procedures don't just go out the window because someone is hurt.....
maybe it could have been done quicker. But there's too many unknowns from that short little article. It all sounds ludacris to me.
It is a sad deal though.
But thats just it they didn't follow procedure or at least not the correct one because they tried to hand it off to a ski resort that has nothing to do with it. So if you take a tumble out in the hills south of Mandan even though you're in the "Huff Hills" it's not the ski resorts job to have to come get you. The biggest problem was 911 passing on their job to the ski resort to the point the hikers had to Google that number only to here what they already knew that it was well outside their area. Amount of time that the guard guys took to get their helicopter in the air is really a non-issue here cuz that's going to take that long no matter what but it's the nearly two hours between the initial phone call and when the helicopters were finally informed and dispatched where people are getting a little upset by.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dean listen to the 911 calls the caller said that the call may be premature and didn’t know if help would be needed. If he would have said the guy needed immediate medical attention things would most likely ended differently

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I go out west elk hunting I don't plan on anybody else but myself to get me back out. I do carry a SPOT in case SHTF but I would never rely solely on it. And the idea of suing a rescue team sounds ludicrous to me. I know full well what I'm getting myself into. Hell, I go on the edge of grizz habitat. If I were to get mauled by a bear, well that's a risk I take. Nobodies fault but my own. Seems everybody is looking for somebody else to blame.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This family would have probably had a lot more support and got their point across better had they put a $1 on the lawsuit instead of $10M. This appears to be just a money grab and hoping to have it settled out of court. I see no win in this case for either side.

Could the rescue people have handled it better, probably. The fact is so could the climbers. They should have had their ducks in a row and handled the situation better too. Bottom line is if you are going to risk your life doing something don't bitch when you do end up dead!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dean listen to the 911 calls the caller said that the call may be premature and didn’t know if help would be needed. If he would have said the guy needed immediate medical attention things would most likely ended differently

So why does 911 send out an officer when my kid calls 911 and I catch them and say sorry about that. False alarm. my kid got a hold of the phone.

In this case the guy said he wasn't by any means someone who could make an accurate assessment. What blew me away with the calls was the conversation between the ski patrol and the 911 dispatch. She knew it was the same incident and should have put more urgency on getting the chopper airborn

- - - Updated - - -

When I go out west elk hunting I don't plan on anybody else but myself to get me back out. I do carry a SPOT in case SHTF but I would never rely solely on it. And the idea of suing a rescue team sounds ludicrous to me. I know full well what I'm getting myself into. Hell, I go on the edge of grizz habitat. If I were to get mauled by a bear, well that's a risk I take. Nobodies fault but my own. Seems everybody is looking for somebody else to blame.

You say you carry a SPOT. Do you expect them to come get you as soon as they can (provided there is no threat to rescuers) if you don't expect them to why spend all the money on it. Just head out with the attitude oh well I got myself into this mess I knew the risks I guess I'll get out on my own. If so we,ok just call you Jim Bridger ;:;bowdown

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 187
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57